DIY Taillight Gasket Replacement (Water in Trunk Fix) - Page 10 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #226
02dc5kid

02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02dc5kid is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i just put clear silicone around the old gasket and i had no more water since

checkout my thread http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...385&highlight=

IG-@ rhd_o
02dc5kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #227
239KING_RSX

239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have an 05 and it happened to me. It took me weeks before I could pinpoint the problem.damn gaskets made my trunk start rusting and caused so much bs.

Its just a buildup between the gasket and the light and it ends up overflowing into the trunk... Slowly. So I just slightly tore the gasket where it built up so I couldn't build up. Done and perfect
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #228
WorldsMostWanted

WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks a lot, this is a good write up. I just did this a few days ago
and its been raining like crazy the past few days, and look no water!
Awesome....
WorldsMostWanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #229
msayaosa
Fish On!!

msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i actually need to get up on this myself. water is trapped in both my taillights!! i'll do it one day if i get my hands on a long ass phillips screw driver ahah
msayaosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #230
ness20xx
Oh herro there!

ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i have water in my tail lights too. i dont think my trunk has water but i have to check under the mat to see if it leaked under. but is this the same procedure i can use for my tail lights? i swear my tail lights looks like a freakin aquarium that i could grow fishes in lol.
ness20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #231
someguy8
No Way ?! :|

someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx someguy8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
the gasket for the 02-04 is the same for the 05-06? i tried find the part number for the 05-06 but i guess it just doesnt show up with acuraoemparts.com
someguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #232
msayaosa
Fish On!!

msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness20xx View Post
i have water in my tail lights too. i dont think my trunk has water but i have to check under the mat to see if it leaked under. but is this the same procedure i can use for my tail lights? i swear my tail lights looks like a freakin aquarium that i could grow fishes in lol.
yea, i believe so. same procedure, 4 #8 nuts and 2 phillips screws on the bottom
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #233
239KING_RSX

239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 239KING_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yea u gotta remove the rear bumper. I don't put those screws back though cuz it's too much hassle to remove the bumper for taillights.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #234
jaydan1020

jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
02-04 might be different than 05-06 b/c i didnt have to remove the rear bumper to take my tail lights off.
2013 Honda Civic Si- DD
jaydan1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #235
lilbabykenny

lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If you have a long enough screw driver and as long as the screw aren't seized you can remove them without taking the bumper off on both the 02-04 and 05-06. Can anyone confirm that the 02-04 gaskets are the same as the 05-06's?

PWP Type S CURRENT BUILD
lilbabykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #236
jaydan1020

jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydan1020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
do you even need those screws? it would make taking the tail lights off much easier without them.
2013 Honda Civic Si- DD
jaydan1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #237
239KING_RSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbabykenny View Post
If you have a long enough screw driver and as long as the screw aren't seized you can remove them without taking the bumper off on both the 02-04 and 05-06. Can anyone confirm that the 02-04 gaskets are the same as the 05-06's?
Yea u would need a loooooong ass screwdriver that will reach the bottom of the tailights and a ton of patience and a flashlight to see where your pointing your screwdriver. Just leave the screws off if u can
Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #238
ness20xx
Oh herro there!

ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ness20xx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by msayaosa View Post
yea, i believe so. same procedure, 4 #8 nuts and 2 phillips screws on the bottom
alright. i just checked my trunk there is some water. i'll try to see if i can get it fixed by the dealer. the car i bought it from still has it under extended warranty. if theyre gonna charge me a lot then fuck that ima try to do it myself! here goes nothing lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #239
239KING_RSX

Prob not covered if its not a bumper to bumper warranty. Maybe they will be nice and cover it anyways who knows. Get that water out asap or its gonna rust!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #240
ness20xx
Oh herro there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 239KING_RSX View Post
Prob not covered if its not a bumper to bumper warranty. Maybe they will be nice and cover it anyways who knows. Get that water out asap or its gonna rust!
Yeah there was a guy in this thread who said warranty covered it. He did a lot of wrestling around with the dealership though lol. Dont know if I'm willing to do that. Ahh I'll try to see if I can get around to doing it.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be referring back to this when I get down to it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #241
dustin02rsx

dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy8 View Post
the gasket for the 02-04 is the same for the 05-06? i tried find the part number for the 05-06 but i guess it just doesnt show up with acuraoemparts.com
no

[AEM][APEXi][Tein][JTC][Progress][Kicker]
dustin02rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #242
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
they might cover it because I think I remember someone saying it was a semi-recall, basically Acura acknowledged that this was a problem on 05-06 models and if you brought it in to get it fixed they would...that may not be the case anymore since they no longer make the rsx and its 6-7 years later..but its worth a shot
andersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #243
ness20xx
Oh herro there!

OK guys. So I finally got around to replacing the gaskets. Decided to do it myself since the extended warranty hasn't been transferred under my name from the previous owner. Something about it taking a month and a half. Either way I have a good feeling that they might not cover it anyway. I just bought the gaskets from the dealership for about 45 bucks plus tax. I know I could've saved buying it online but I needed it that day already.

First things first. I have the 05 type s and YOU DONT NEED TO TAKE OFF THE BUMPER TO GET TO YOUR TAILLIGHTS. I really didn't want to take off the bumper and after some inspection I found out I can just unscrew the taillight.

This is a complete list of what you take out on each taillight
four 8 mm bolts on
two 10 mm
two plastic clips (these were a bitch to take out and ultimately i decided not to put them back on)

and dont forget there are two philips screw under the tail light holding it to the bracket. If you're a guy you might have a hard time reaching it so go ahead and use a long philips screwdriver. But I'm a skinny girl so I had no problem reaching it lol.

So yeah its pretty straightforward from there on.

Here's a picture of me working on my car. If a girl with ZERO skill level and experience can do it. So can you!

Goodluck!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #244
DC5unset

DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5unset is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
^ wow, good shit!
DC5unset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #245
msayaosa
Fish On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness20xx View Post
OK guys. So I finally got around to replacing the gaskets. Decided to do it myself since the extended warranty hasn't been transferred under my name from the previous owner. Something about it taking a month and a half. Either way I have a good feeling that they might not cover it anyway. I just bought the gaskets from the dealership for about 45 bucks plus tax. I know I could've saved buying it online but I needed it that day already.

First things first. I have the 05 type s and YOU DONT NEED TO TAKE OFF THE BUMPER TO GET TO YOUR TAILLIGHTS. I really didn't want to take off the bumper and after some inspection I found out I can just unscrew the taillight.

This is a complete list of what you take out on each taillight
four 8 mm bolts on
two 10 mm
two plastic clips (these were a bitch to take out and ultimately i decided not to put them back on)

and dont forget there are two philips screw under the tail light holding it to the bracket. If you're a guy you might have a hard time reaching it so go ahead and use a long philips screwdriver. But I'm a skinny girl so I had no problem reaching it lol.

So yeah its pretty straightforward from there on.

Here's a picture of me working on my car. If a girl with ZERO skill level and experience can do it. So can you!

Goodluck!
quit teasing these guys
Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #246
RSXPrem

RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydan1020 View Post
do you even need those screws? it would make taking the tail lights off much easier without them.
Can someone answer this? Looks like I'll be drilling 3 of the 4 screws out so can I leave them empty after or do I need new screws to put back?
RSXPrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #247
Blackcomb

Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Great write up! My question is, is there anyway you can get around not removing the bumper?? I have a '03 model..
Blackcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #248
Blackcomb

Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blackcomb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Nevermind..
Blackcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #249
nomad1204

nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nomad1204 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Excellent DIY
nomad1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #250
RSXPrem

RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Finally finished this today, what a nightmare those screws under the tail lights were rusted to hell....Also broke one of the 4 taillight studs (over torqued) will 3 bolts be enough or will I start leaking again?
RSXPrem is offline   Reply With Quote