DIY Taillight Gasket Replacement (Water in Trunk Fix) - Page 6 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #126
LambdaBoyX
Paul

LambdaBoyX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Anybody else have info on how much it would cost at dealership to fix? $700 sounds like an awful lot, but I don't have a garage, tools, time or patience to do this myself.

I had some documents in my trunk that were soaked today (Atlanta, GA). I saw this tread and decided to check the spare tire well. Sure enough it was damp under the spare tire.
LambdaBoyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #127
_Gex_
Michael Brown wannabe

_Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
DIY is super easy takes like 45 minutes, all you need is the new gaskets, a screwdriver and 10mm wrench

RSX Retrofits - Click for tha Flicka!!
_Gex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #128
AltarBoy
Andy wuz here

AltarBoy gets around and is known
AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known AltarBoy gets around and is known
or you can put tape over the gutter where the taillight is so it just runs out the back of the gap and on the ground

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheGoodBlokeCrew/PremSociety/AndyApproved
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianK View Post
pussy juice is like salad dressing, i usually have a bowl of mixed greens ready to go in the bedroom when I'm with my girl
AltarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #129
twis
At work.

twis is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gex_ View Post
DIY is super easy takes like 45 minutes, all you need is the new gaskets, a screwdriver and 10mm wrench
true story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambdaBoyX View Post
Anybody else have info on how much it would cost at dealership to fix? $700 sounds like an awful lot, but I don't have a garage, tools, time or patience to do this myself.

I had some documents in my trunk that were soaked today (Atlanta, GA). I saw this tread and decided to check the spare tire well. Sure enough it was damp under the spare tire.
seems like youve got it bad...and the dealership will (you can count on it) charge you way too much to do it. I did it myself for $16 and a few hours of my time. so if youre worried about time, youd be sitting at the dealership for awhile anyway. and i did this without knowing shit about taking a car apart or anything, just followed this diy, so dont worry about patience, youll be fine.

NY YANKEES 2012
twis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #130
xamznaznx
did it 4 teh lulz

xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xamznaznx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuraanimal View Post
yea i had the same problem, i didnt feel like ordering a new gasket.. so i just took out the tail lights and on the old gasket you can see where it presses against the car. and i just put some cock(idk how to spell it) around the taillight gasket and no leaks since

cost like 3 dollars =)

Lmao, i know this is a while back but it's Caulk xD made me laugh tho thanks haha
xamznaznx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #131
twis
At work.

twis is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamznaznx View Post
Lmao, i know this is a while back but it's Caulk xD made me laugh tho thanks haha
haha yea, i guess you could use CAULK lol but for all the effort, you may as well drop a little more money on gaskets cuz the caulk is still gonna cost you 6 bucks or whatever caulk costs (i dont exactly know). i mean, id be too scared of making a mess with the caulk...

NY YANKEES 2012
twis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #132
neofinger

neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw845 View Post
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.
I did the exact same thing you did, except I got shut down. Acura wants to charge me $110 just for the labor on installing the tail lights, then $250 for the right tail light and $262 for left. Props to you for getting lucky on this...hope it resolves your issue.
neofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #133
luk2004
Master Member

luk2004 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofinger View Post
I did the exact same thing you did, except I got shut down. Acura wants to charge me $110 just for the labor on installing the tail lights, then $250 for the right tail light and $262 for left. Props to you for getting lucky on this...hope it resolves your issue.
How can they charge more for the right vs left light? That doesn't make sense. Search online you can get the lights with gaskets for like $130 each or just the gaskets for like $13/each.
Motorcycle Crew #599
luk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #134
bsw845
DeeSheeFivu

bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofinger View Post
I didn't actually go through with it. I decided to buy the gaskets and give that a try before forking out $160. My local Honda (went to Honda since it was more convenient during work) got me the right and left Gasket Kits 06335-S6M-305 and 06336-S6M-305 for $10 each plus tax. They have the adhesive on the back that stick to the car. Installed them yesterday. Took about 45 taking my time (not including the time I let the lights sit in the sun to get rid of left over condensation). Now all I need is a rainy day to come along to see if it did the job...seeing as weather is 70-75 all week and sunny, that may not happen for a while.

BUMPER: I was happy to find that I did not need to remove the bumper. With a standard sized screwdriver, I could easily reach underneath the bumper and get to the screw on each side. If you can't reach it, you either have popeye forearms or short arms. If either is the case, you will have to remove the bumper...or get a longer screwdriver.
bsw845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #135
Manny2206
Gatoman

Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
good stuff
Manny2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #136
neofinger

neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx neofinger is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk2004 View Post
How can they charge more for the right vs left light? That doesn't make sense. Search online you can get the lights with gaskets for like $130 each or just the gaskets for like $13/each.
LOL I said the same thing, after talking to the parts guy at my local Acura dealership about the stupidity in the different prices he politely told me that he didn't set the prices, just read them from the computer.
neofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #137
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Now all I need is a rainy day to come along to see if it did the job...seeing as weather is 70-75 all week and sunny, that may not happen for a while.

you could just take a hose and put it on low and run it down the edges where the trunk opens and see if the water leaks into the light

..i f'd mine up baking it(it warped cause i left it in a few long) but i ordered a used oem one in great condition from ebay for lik 60 bucks
andersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #138
JSin

JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmb View Post
..i f'd mine up baking it(it warped cause i left it in a few long) but i ordered a used oem one in great condition from ebay for lik 60 bucks
Please tell me you put your lights in the oven. Hilarious.
JSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #139
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
yea..i figured it was the same as the headlights with the sealant..ya live you learn lol
Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #140
M_nus

M_nus is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
My god damn gaskets broke again after less than a year...what a pain in the ass
M_nus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #141
bsw845
DeeSheeFivu

bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_nus View Post
My god damn gaskets broke again after less than a year...what a pain in the ass
Well one year is better than a few months! I installed these a few months back, first rain here in Norcal and the damn left gasket leaked again! The right seems to be holding though. I'll be taking some silicone to seal the gap between the taillight assembly and the chassis. What a waste of money...
bsw845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #142
tooslowtoohappy
oops.

tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
you can always just drill a small hole on the trunk and just spray it with epoxy primer so it wont rust. problem solved and no need to strip the rear end of the car. easy fix when your broke like me
tooslowtoohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #143
marroquin57
RIP Guru

marroquin57 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by josolanes View Post
car > girl
both cars and girls use a lot of your money (especially when modding), but the car will never leave you for another driver
marroquin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #144
Wooward

Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
^^truth..i did this as an extra to adding my own gaskets that i cut out of foam i bought at walmart for $1.00

but clearly people like spending more money than they have to on things..hence why everyone buys mugen shit when the only difference is $40 and 2-3 weeks extra for shipping cause it comes from Japan
Can you post a pic of where you drilled the hole? I can't get all the water out of my taillights. They've been sitting for two days now in my living room. May need to drill a hole and drain before I reinstall.
Wooward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #145
tooslowtoohappy
oops.

tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i drilled a hole at the lowest point in the trunk where the hook is for the spare tire in that little groove. you dont have a drill a hole to drain it if you have access to a shop-vac. thats what i did until i had enough and put a hole. or just a shit load of towels. i wouldnt leave the water in there very long either because atleast where i live when i got hot out the water would smell a little and it would feel like a sauna in the car.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #146
andersmb
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooward View Post
Can you post a pic of where you drilled the hole? I can't get all the water out of my taillights. They've been sitting for two days now in my living room. May need to drill a hole and drain before I reinstall.
i drilled a small hole w/ my dremel in each corner of the light...the pointy side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslowtoohappy View Post
i drilled a hole at the lowest point in the trunk where the hook is for the spare tire in that little groove. you dont have a drill a hole to drain it if you have access to a shop-vac. thats what i did until i had enough and put a hole. or just a shit load of towels. i wouldnt leave the water in there very long either because atleast where i live when i got hot out the water would smell a little and it would feel like a sauna in the car.
he's talking about getting the water out of his lights not the trunk..
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #147
tooslowtoohappy
oops.

Quote:
i drilled a small hole w/ my dremel in each corner of the light...the pointy side

he's talking about getting the water out of his lights not the trunk..
oh i thought u meant the trunk. well ya you can just drill a hole on the light also ive done that to a few of my buddies cars with aftermarket lights. just make it as small as possible to alow air to flow and becareful not to crack it and your good. nobody will notice a tiny hole either unless you point it out.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #148
Wooward

Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I drilled the hole today. It's super small and can't be seen from the lens side. I finally drained all the water out and am now waiting for the drops to dry out. Then I can finally put on the new gaskets I just bought. Thanks for the help with the drain hole location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taillight_drainhole.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	549543  

Last edited by Wooward; 05-25-2019 at 02:28 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #149
Wooward

Installed these back on last night. Here are the parts that I bought from the dealer.

06335-S6M-305, Gasket kit R, $11.05
06336-S6M-305, Gasket kit L, $11.05

Like someone said earlier, these are the new gaskets with the adhesive backing. The old gasket used to be the same part for Left and Right.

Don't know if it's going to work but we'll see with time.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #150
Manny2206
Gatoman

Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Manny2206 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
im getting water inside my acutal taillights, im thinking of getting the water out and put sealant or should i do this instead??
Manny2206 is offline   Reply With Quote