DIY Taillight Gasket Replacement (Water in Trunk Fix) - Page 9 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #201
sykoenigma
Master Member

sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
tried this today..the after getting the bumper and everything off..
the damn screws holding the taillight bracket to the rear of the car were SO RUSTED and IMPOSSIBLE to get off..they started to disintegrate upon me placing a screwdriver and the head was all warped..ended up just siliconing all over the area where the taillight meets the body of the car when the trunk is open (near that little black foam piece above the taillight) and going to pray for the best..
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #202
HondaHeritage

HondaHeritage is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykoenigma View Post
tried this today..the after getting the bumper and everything off..
the damn screws holding the taillight bracket to the rear of the car were SO RUSTED and IMPOSSIBLE to get off..they started to disintegrate upon me placing a screwdriver and the head was all warped..ended up just siliconing all over the area where the taillight meets the body of the car when the trunk is open (near that little black foam piece above the taillight) and going to pray for the best..
Let me know how that goes, I was thinking of doing the same thing.
HondaHeritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #203
sykoenigma
Master Member

sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sykoenigma is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHeritage View Post
Let me know how that goes, I was thinking of doing the same thing.
still too scared to leave the car out in the rain, lol. this weekend i'll try running some water down the hatch and examine everything and report back

Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #204
HondaHeritage

HondaHeritage is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
what is the best solution to get the water out of the spare tire well? pour out cups at a time then drill a small hole? just wondering what most people do with the puddle
HondaHeritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #205
sykoenigma
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHeritage View Post
what is the best solution to get the water out of the spare tire well? pour out cups at a time then drill a small hole? just wondering what most people do with the puddle
gut the trunk, go to town with wet vac, towels, and bucket.
simple green/ajax to clean up the smell/
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #206
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
^^that or i siphoned most of it out with a thin hose/tubing(no wet vac available) and then used old towels/t-shirts to soak up the little that remained
andersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #207
deathsduty

deathsduty is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I did this DIY last year, I still get water coming in during the rain.
deathsduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #208
Dangles14

Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangles14 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
did this last weekend, no need to take bumper off though...
Dangles14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #209
Jroddsk20
J-Rodd

Jroddsk20 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
you dot have to pul off the bumper, use 2XL extensions
Jroddsk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #210
msayaosa
Fish On!!

msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx msayaosa is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
no water in my trunk but i do see water evaporated in my taillights
msayaosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #211
RSX-Shades

RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I ordered my gaskets so I should be able to do this by next weekend.
Show-Off Thread!:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...4#post40225744
RSX-Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #212
Wooward

Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wooward is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Almost 2 years now and I haven't had the condensation problem again. I do of course park it in the garage so that helps.
Wooward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #213
RSX-Shades

RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX-Shades is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX-Shades View Post
I ordered my gaskets so I should be able to do this by next weekend.
So I replaced my tail light gaskets and the install went really smooth. Everything went well and my old gaskets looked much worse than the OP's. My gaskets had rust stains and was wet as well as lots of dirt and even a live spider in there I have a feeling I won't be seeing any more water in my trunk or tail light

Thanks OP for the write up!
Show-Off Thread!:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...4#post40225744
RSX-Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #214
WorldsMostWanted

WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx WorldsMostWanted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just had another rainy weekend, and more water puddling up back there.... Nice DIY,
Im definitely doing this this weekend. Already have my new gaskets just laying around
waiting to be installed! Nice job
WorldsMostWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #215
RSXPrem

RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXPrem is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just curious as to what people have done for those screws under the tailights that are rusted to hell? WD-40 them the night before?
RSXPrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #216
sykoenigma
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXPrem View Post
Just curious as to what people have done for those screws under the tailights that are rusted to hell? WD-40 them the night before?
cry, drill em out, cry
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #217
J-DubDC5

J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx J-DubDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just found water in my trunk today after washing it. Gunna do this DIY tomorrow instead of taking it to the stealership thanks!
J-DubDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #218
OSrsxS

OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OSrsxS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I did this about 4 months ago and we have been getting a lot of rain here in oregon, I'm glad to say that there is no more water in my spare tire compartment. When I did this I soaked the water out with some towels and then dried everything out with a heat gun to make sure I didn't get any mold in my trunk. This worked great and I hope it takes a while for the gaskets to go bad again. I kept my old gaskets for stencils incase I need to make some new ones down the road. Definitely dont feel like spending money on gaskets from the dealership, they would be easy to make and a lot cheaper.
OSrsxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #219
deathsduty

How often do guys change the gaskets?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #220
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i did this about 2+ yrs ago and i havent had to change them yet
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #221
deathsduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmb View Post
i did this about 2+ yrs ago and i havent had to change them yet
Water must be coming in from somewhere else for me then.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #222
andersmb
Master Member

is it still settling in the trunk? I also put silicone on top where my taillights meet the body
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #223
dustin02rsx

dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i changed mine like a year ago and they were fine up until i got rear ended and the body shop did an 05-06 rear conversion and didnt put the 05-06 gaskets on.

[AEM][APEXi][Tein][JTC][Progress][Kicker]
dustin02rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #224
deathsduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmb View Post
is it still settling in the trunk? I also put silicone on top where my taillights meet the body
I'm gonna have to look into it. But I will definitely consider trying that out. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #225
dustin02rsx

dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dustin02rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin02rsx View Post
i changed mine like a year ago and they were fine up until i got rear ended and the body shop did an 05-06 rear conversion and didnt put the 05-06 gaskets on.
they put the 05-06 gaskets on, but they didnt peel the yellow wax paper off for them to stick

[AEM][APEXi][Tein][JTC][Progress][Kicker]
dustin02rsx is offline   Reply With Quote