Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

BuiltRSX nitrous build

6K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  BuiltRSX 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys, I have been waiting for this thread. I have been at this for a few years now.

To give a rundown, when I bought the car, I saw it was black and below trade in value, I didnt know what the hell a RSX-S was, I was a 4x4 guy needing a car. I bought a nitrous kit off a chick that just broke up with her bf and she took the kit, lol, 50bucks for a brandnew NX kit. Went to a buddy to install for me, my car was rattling, it was my rods knocking, I just bought the car, not a car guy, didnt know that is what that was. So sold the kit, told the wife my cams were ruined as well as some tranny parts. So here is the first build list...

Kpro
Skunk2 Pro Series Springs and titanium retainers
Crower stage 2 FI cams(I bought NA cams but got screwed and shop closed immediately after I bought em)
Ferra valve locks
replaced bottom end with stock rods and pistons
Calico Coating B18 ACL bearings
Competion Clutch lightweight aluminum flywheel
Competition Clutch stage 2 clutch kit(burned up in 5K miles and now run stage 4, lasted 15K and still got 20passes or so left on it)
Toda Timing Tensioner
DCRH
Injen SRI
OBX LSD

I had fun with this setup, never tuned it. For my class, NA FWD class, it was undefeated, made great times for the area, but not really that fast, also stock exhaust

I got bored with this setup after 2 years, so in the meantime I bought parts one at a time only if they were 40% or more off retail.

I gathered up everything, had the buddy build it, and the build was rushed and dont a bit careless and ruined my rods, pistons, bearings, and valve guides. Also I learned that my Toda Tensioner was defective which caused me some tuning issues due to figuring out why my cam angles wouldnt change where I wanted them to, and I had in non resistor plugs which explains why all I could get was 208whp out of her, peak at 8100rpms.

My local shop picked me up as a sponsored car, which is helping me out alot of cost, I am very greatful for them otherwise I would have to scrap my car due to financial reasons with all that needed replacing.

Here is the new build in addition to the above, which these parts I have bought twice keep in mind.

Wiseco 11.7:1 pistons
Eagle H beam rods
Level 3 P&P head
Calico Bearings
Cometic 86mm HG
86.5mm bore due to cylinder wall scarring
stock flywheel(until I can afford new clutch and 12-14lb flywheel)(the CC was too light for drag racing)
Brian Crower flat face coated valves
Brian Crower stage 3 cams ceramic coated(experimenting with the coating, worked great on all his other cars real well)
Thermal coated IM and SRI
P2R IM thermal gasket
2485lbs in drag setup(wheels and tires and 3 gallons of gas)
Ingals trq dampner
Buddy club ss
Custom Mandrel Bend 3" piping with Magnaflow OEM style muffler 3"in/3"out
Innovated 75a motor mounts
DynoTune wet kit single fogger, purge bottle warmer, and lots of jets
Cold Fusion DP wet kit, purge bottle warmer, and 100-400hp jets, lol, prob use max of 140shot.
OEM modded 520cc injectors
KiddRacing header
RBC IM

My build is being setup to run 125-150shot consistantly, but we will be spraying 200-250only to break a new track record for the class it will be in, or against certain people. In Arkansas I shouldnt need more than a 75shot to be the car to beat, so not necessary for more.

The car will run 2 stages, one 35-75shot through TB, and then 100-140ish DP, with neither kit shutting off druing the run.

I have ran and setup all my nitrous except connecting the wiring, I am letting them do it cause i dont trust myself to. Motor should be in my hands tomorrow night or friday so I wont sleep til she starts. I will make another thread for a Wet Shot thread with pics, so bear with me, car is not with me so I can only see it occasionally.

See less See more
#64 ·
yeah I think what is holding me back is out on the table, lol, looks like I am just gonna have to save those pennies again...My tuner mentioned that he is interested in fabbing me a header to try to save me some cost. He has made several for toyota setups in the past, and said that it would be interesting to make one for this setup.

I guess I will just have to start spraying, make up the difference that way.

One question too guys while I have your attention. My speed sensor was dead, I replaced it, and it works fine. We got on the dyno, after bout the 5th or 6th pull, the speedo on the dash and Kpro would go nuts at high rpm then settle as the rpms dropped. Driving down the road the other day I noticed it said I was going 80 in 6th gear at 3100rpms in my stock 02 type-s tranny. Am I having grounding issues? Or other issues? Every since this build got messed up last year, its been one issue after another for me, I will be glad when I run out of these kind of issues, axles and broke trannies are ok, just not 20-40bucks here and there over and over again.

#67 ·
Ok, I got a RBC coming, just need to order the adapter plate, should have it all installed by next Friday and will throw it on the dyno. Also, I think I will retard the exhaust cam back 1 tooth. We will see what happens

#71 ·
Yeah, its his car basically, I own it, but he is investing in it, so all tuning and everything else is done there. Its his first NA project car, and definately first Kpro'd car to do, learning experience.

#72 ·
Well Dang, now I got to piss 500 away on shit that some debeats did. My parents are going through a gaurdianship battle with my niece, and the babies daddy's family made threats and warned them not to go through with it, tomorrow they get her. Earlier, at 10:45pm, they pulled into my parents drive and shot my car up!!!! Iam glad it was the car and not the house though, cars can be fixed or replaced, but parents cant be.

#76 · (Edited)
Not yet, mainly cause I havetn sprayed yet. I have been to the track once, NA, and the car was having a PS leak, spraying oil on my tires, and cutting 2.3-2.4 60's running 9.1s in the 1/8th @79-80mph, which at our track is a 1000' and pulling 11.6x @94mph. I am fixing the PS problem, then conditioning my DRs with 2 coats of VHT and going back after I tune my with my RBC and maybe TB. Also, I am gonna try more cam advance. The Brian Crower stage 3s on CP11.5pistons can safely run 50* advance, so Dustin at Brian Crower said that 40* is more than likely safe, but he told me it would be on me, cause every setup is different, so I am going to run 40 on the dyno, I picked up 12trq from going from 30-35* cam, so wonder what the extra advance would do for me.

With only 218whp and 148trq, it pulls alot of mph from the 1/8 to 1K, most NA cars pull only 8-11mph, and the shops 2JZ SC300 pushing shy of 700whp was only pulling 13mph on top end, the thing pulls hard up top, which I know some of that is due to excessive wheelspin, last year I was pulling 13mph with 2.05 60's with 25-30less hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.