Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

My RSX on NOS

Tags
nos rsx
7K views 63 replies 20 participants last post by  AzaghalSEI 
G
#1 ·
Yes I am running on Nitrous, dynoed on all my MOD's including NOS made 80 HP over stock. At the dyno time I was running VP motorsport 103 unleaded. 1/4 mile times were 13.06. Many people are asking the same question so below is my little speach.
Also here is a link to my RSX pictures.
http://www.1320motorsport.com/TTMRSX.html

Ok things about NOS on a RSX. First, even a safe direct port system is hard. AEM blew there motor on a 70 shot witch isn't a big shot for direct port. Second I run VP 103 unleaded race gas when I drag race the car and octaine booster when I use nitrous on the street. it's easy I just keep a NOS octaine booster bottle in my glove box. Second We ran a richer fuel jetting on the kit. third there is no way to retard timing with the direct fire system. You could run a piggy back system and retard when running NOS and this would help but the easier solution is higher octane and richer fuel mixture. Last is very simple, you can't run just a single dry fogger, with the returnless fuel system there is also no way to raise fuel pressure. Yes MSD has a unit that will raise the fuel pressure on these systems but only when it see's boost. Nothing really for when it see's nitrous. Maybe NOS will make one someday. So the only way to run this is a Wet setup and tap into the fuel supply. The ECU will read the pressure drop when the fuel goes to the nitrous nozzel and raise the pressure back up to make sure the injectors get the right fuel pressure. Direct port would be nice but with the limitations of the high compression and the ingition and fuel I don't think it's worth the time to drill and tap the manifold. NOS will be coming out with a injector adaptor witch will make it easy to do a direct port, no drilling or tapping. Untill this is available just use a single WET fogger in the intake pipe. And what ever fuel jet they recomend for the shot you are using use one jet larger.

See less See more
#27 ·
Ah here's something else I did for you. I went to this link

http://javascript.internet.com/calculators/horsepower.html

I took the RSX's curb weight 2767 subtracted 25 from the windows. That makes 2742 and added the driver which I am assuming weighs about 180, which comes to a grand total of 2922 lbs.

Then I plugged in your quarter mile time. 13.06.

And I got this

Horsepower Results - 1/4 Mile Method
Your Acura RSX weighs about 2922 pounds and can complete a 1/4 mile in about 13.06 seconds. That means that you've got about 259.26 HP at the wheels, and about 337.04 HP at the flywheel.

I am assuming your dyno was near these numbers

G
#28 ·
it was close, but less somewhere around 230-240. Also the weight is always off. I would be interested in the exact weight, we have truck scales by our shop I could check it. I know overall we took off almost 90 lbs but we also put weight back on with the body kit, vynal and wing. We also took alot of weight off of the wheel and reciprocating weight means more than dead weight. We ran 16's where everyone else there ran 18's or stock.

G
#30 ·
AEM jetted a 70 shot on the direct port, a much more efficient system and blew there motor. I would think about jetting it a little higher on race gas for a race only. But on the street I think 13's is fast enough.

G
#31 ·
excess said:
I don't know, for someone who is so recognized I think you are being rather unprofessional about this. Everyone here has only stated their opinion and there is no reason to tell someone that they will feel like a jerk and talk like you are better than everyone, ive been contracted by honda, hyundai, blah, blah, blah. We are all here to help each other out. If you ran 13.06 thats awesome, but looking at a car that runs high 14s to drop 2 seconds with an intake, exhaust and a 40 shot just doesn't sound right, but if you say you did it fine, but there is no reason why I can't have my doubts. That is why I asked about what issue so I can read on your RSX. Also like someone else asked you don't have the dyno or time slip?
exactly. Someone sees what I'm saying.

I'm not hating. Hell if it was done (and can be reproduced), I'd be happy. I just asked some questions, and then you started sounding like an @ss when some how you drop 2 solid second with a 40 shot and bolt-ons.

Personally, I still don't believe it (unless there is more wieght removed, etc, etc.). Numbers just don't crunch for me.

either way, good luck.

-C
Also an Engineer

G
#35 ·
Type C, asking is one thing, telling is another. Befor you TELL me something you need to check your facts. If your a engineer or have some educational bassis to TELL me what I did isn't possible then try TELLING me what you base this on. If it's just some BS logic then I don't want to hear it. Next time try ASKING how it was done and leave your logic out. Next try reading up on Nitrous, When jetting a 40 shot there is some simple math involved to figure it out. But where things change in the equation is the parameters that the nitrous system does not control. Take for example turbo. Put a simple 40 shot on a turbo car and go to the dyno and for some odd reason you gain 80 HP. weird. Welp now raise the boost and you gain 10 hp but then you run it on the nitrous agian and all of a sudden that same 40 shot is giving you 100 hp. weird. There are many books on Nitrous I suggest befor you TELL me how it is you learn what your talking about. I'm usually a very mellow easy going guy untill some guy who apperantly knows more than me trys to TELL me my buisness. Oh and I'm not "Hating" either, if you have a legitamit question I can answer then I will, all you have to do is ASK.

#36 ·
Yah, Boost and N20 is tricky busness. You are compressing the air fuel pluss the N20. So a 50 will be essentally doubled to a 100 shot and so on and so forth...depending on the boost you are running. Not that it matter in the contex of this thread. FYI only.

#40 ·
excess said:
Ah here's something else I did for you. I went to this link

http://javascript.internet.com/calculators/horsepower.html

I took the RSX's curb weight 2767 subtracted 25 from the windows. That makes 2742 and added the driver which I am assuming weighs about 180, which comes to a grand total of 2922 lbs.

Then I plugged in your quarter mile time. 13.06.

And I got this

Horsepower Results - 1/4 Mile Method
Your Acura RSX weighs about 2922 pounds and can complete a 1/4 mile in about 13.06 seconds. That means that you've got about 259.26 HP at the wheels, and about 337.04 HP at the flywheel.

I am assuming your dyno was near these numbers
The flywheel numbers are off... RSX-S drivetrain losses are closer to 15% than 23%

@15 % loss 259 whp = 305 crank hp

so that'd be 105hp gain over stock at the crank...

G
#43 ·
Yea, I belive for wet nozzles that you put it futher down the tube to get better attomization. I have seen in some instructions they say to put it up cloase but I think this is only for dry foggers. With the returnless fuel system on the RSX a dry system was not an option. Now with a direct port attomization isn't AS important, don't get me wrong it's still important but not AS important. With the direct port each cylinder get equal amount of fuel and Nitrous, with the single fogger theres a big chance it might not.

#44 ·
what's the electric fan do anyways?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.