Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

K-Pro + NX 100 Shot + Stock K20A = :)

6K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  RSX0003 
#1 ·
So I had a little money race I needed to take care of, against a modded Syclone...anyway we threw on my buddies NX Wet kit in about a hour or so...and headed to the local 1/4 mile...Did a couple highway test pulls w/ the 75 shot n2o (41 maybe?) and fuel jets, felt good, ran horribly rich though...so we changed the n2o jet only to the 100 shot (52 i think it was) and kept the fuel jet as is, and went down the track. STILL ran off the scales rich, but I ran 12.6 @ 113 w/ a passenger and a bit of a delayed 3-4 shift (costing me I'm sure .3) anyway...the motor took it like a champ, no knock until 5th then just a tad (under 20 counts) even w/ 33 deg of ignition on the STOCK PLUGS. Note: I was running 100 oct fuel

I was impressed and have decided to keep the kit and get some colder plugs and tune for a 125 shot.

In short I'm pretty impressed w/ a motor that can take 100ish shot w/ 11.5:1 compression and still running the stock plugs. I know it might sound like we were really taking a chance but given where the A/F was and that we got no knock through 8K in 5th w/ the 75 shot we felt it would be fine.

#3 ·
JJB Autowerks said:
So I had a little money race I needed to take care of, against a modded Syclone...anyway we threw on my buddies NX Wet kit in about a hour or so...and headed to the local 1/4 mile...Did a couple highway test pulls w/ the 75 shot n2o (41 maybe?) and fuel jets, felt good, ran horribly rich though...so we changed the n2o jet only to the 100 shot (52 i think it was) and kept the fuel jet as is, and went down the track. STILL ran off the scales rich, but I ran 12.6 @ 113 w/ a passenger and a bit of a delayed 3-4 shift (costing me I'm sure .3) anyway...the motor took it like a champ, no knock until 5th then just a tad (under 20 counts) even w/ 33 deg of ignition on the STOCK PLUGS. Note: I was running 100 oct fuel

I was impressed and have decided to keep the kit and get some colder plugs and tune for a 125 shot.

In short I'm pretty impressed w/ a motor that can take 100ish shot w/ 11.5:1 compression and still running the stock plugs. I know it might sound like we were really taking a chance but given where the A/F was and that we got no knock through 8K in 5th w/ the 75 shot we felt it would be fine.
what map where you runnin? and why, if you're into the k-pro, would you set it up wet, and not dry?

Stock plugs have been used up to 125 with no real issues.

"we got no knock through 8K in 5th"

what tranny you runnin? Because i'm gonna call you a fool and wait to see the distruction pictures for spraying in 5th gear at all. :shakehead

#4 ·
WarmPepsi said:
what map where you runnin? and why, if you're into the k-pro, would you set it up wet, and not dry?

Stock plugs have been used up to 125 with no real issues.

"we got no knock through 8K in 5th"

what tranny you runnin? Because i'm gonna call you a fool and wait to see the distruction pictures for spraying in 5th gear at all. :shakehead
We have a basemap that's tuned to NA, we used wet b/c we had a wet kit laying around. It was only for 1 race, when it's actually tuned the results will be much nicer.

I have a JDM K20A motor and tranny, I don't see any problems with spraying in 5th...I need to shift into 5th before the end of the 1/4 anyway..

#5 ·
JJB Autowerks said:
We have a basemap that's tuned to NA, we used wet b/c we had a wet kit laying around. It was only for 1 race, when it's actually tuned the results will be much nicer.

I have a JDM K20A motor and tranny, I don't see any problems with spraying in 5th...I need to shift into 5th before the end of the 1/4 anyway..
nah, but to get to 8k in 5th, is a long uphill pull.... you observe the 15 sec rule?

at that high of speed and the load, you're bound to fry some valves, as a few users have.

again, just a fair warning, i admit, i did like seeing az wear his #3 piston as a necklace on a 125 shot :D

#6 · (Edited)
WarmPepsi said:
nah, but to get to 8k in 5th, is a long uphill pull.... you observe the 15 sec rule?

at that high of speed and the load, you're bound to fry some valves, as a few users have.

again, just a fair warning, i admit, i did like seeing az wear his #3 piston as a necklace on a 125 shot :D
Looking at the datalog, i cross the line @ 8021 w/ the 100 shot (or at least that's where I let off the gas). When we tested the 75 shot on the highway we did a top of 3rd through 5th pull, not spraying the whole time, just spots in each gear to test for knock and to see the a/f

I'm pretty sure the motor is still good as it made 215whp the next day NA...with just a header.

#7 ·
JJB Autowerks said:
Looking at the datalog, i cross the line @ 121 mph or 8021 w/ the 100 shot (or at least that's where I let off the gas). When we tested the 75 shot on the highway we did a top of 3rd through 5th pull, not spraying the whole time, just spots in each gear to test for knock and to see the a/f

I'm pretty sure the motor is still good as it made 215whp the next day NA...with just a header.
ahh, ok, not sprayin the whole time. thats the key.

#15 · (Edited)
Ericcarver1 said:
I am sure his track wheel/tire setup is shorter on his Integra than the 17" setup the DC-5R came with. What are you using JJB?

-eric
I was using 22 inch slicks. But my 4th does acutally top out at 106 when revving to 8800, it would be less if I stuck to the stock limiter of 8600...

WarmPepsi said:
most of us don't rev to 8800, much less when spraying.

:wavey:
eh, sometimes you just gotta say "what the fuck" and make your move...anyway, I wasn't too worried, with how it ran on the 75 we all agreed a 100 should be no problem...Sure maybe not the smartest thing to do, but in the end, it was all good.

RSX Factor said:
How are you get to 5th gear in the 1/4? Is that from a roll?
No, I shift into 5th in the 1/4 NA as well, just the way it is. You have to understand trap speed is only the rate of acceleration from 2 points near the end of the track, that's why my trap speed doesn't reflect the speed I was actually going, b/c the rate of acceleration in 5th (which I shift into RIGHT before the first marker NA, and a little sooner with N2O) is much less than say 4th-3rd...So I will always trap lower than I should, if I can ever get out of the fucking hole properly....

Alpha Zero said:
Not very safe... Just watch the clock when spraying in higher gears. It's very easy to forget how long you've been spraying. I don't care what you are pulling or have in the motor, nothing can withstand that type of heat.
You have to remember this is 1/4 mile racing I'm in 5th for only a couple seconds, and on the highway we simulate 1/4 mile RPMs for spraying...when we setup the car for the spray we'll be using 4 EGT probes/gauges to properly monitor temps and add individual cyl fuel trim accordingly.

#18 ·
Biga27110 said:
so basically he knows wtf he is doing so every 1 that has something to say shouldnt say it cuz he knows it
i would clue you in to take a nice dose of "shut yer trap".

We're here to help the guy and provide any advice that might keep him from blowin a hole in his block. He's taken a good number of precautions, but as with any upped HP amount.... shit will break, and the lifespan is MUCH less.

Same with people boosting 10+ on stock pistons.... it'll work, but how long. :wavey:

Heh, also, slicks definatly didn't hurt ya :thumbsup: If ya get time, throw up a slip or two, would like to see the times. :cool:

#19 · (Edited)
WarmPepsi said:
stock limiter isn't 8600 ;) thats the reset limit for hondata #4.
it is when you have a K20A (JDM ITR/CTR) ;)

WarmPepsi said:
Heh, also, slicks definatly didn't hurt ya :thumbsup: If ya get time, throw up a slip or two, would like to see the times. :cool:
LEFT (me) 65

R/T: .742
60': 1.931
330: 5.368
1/8: 8.183
MPH: 86.58
1000: 10.590
1/4: 12.606
MPH: 112.98

race weight: 2619 + 170lb passenger....and I missed 4th, cost me at least 3 1/10ths

Right Click Save As...
Video1
Right Click Save As...
Video2

#25 ·
WarmPepsi said:
haven't been up there in a while, but doesn't 4th top out at like 105? he said he trapped 113.
ya but even if he did get into 5th, how the fuck did he get to 8000 rpm,thats fucking impossible in an RSX in a quarter even with F/I, that would be damn near impossible. i call BS unless hes not talking about running that 8k in the quarter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.