Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLEASE READ FIRST OR DIE!!! Most basic questions answered here.

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AzaghalSEI 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please read first

As I see some of the same questions being asked, I decided to gather up posts from me and Az and put it here, to make it easier for people to get the info they need. Enjoy.

Running Nitrous
Nitrous oxide while in the bottle is a liquid. When the bottle is opened, it is turned into a gas and travels down the line to the solenoids. The solenoids keep the n2o in the line and bottle from going into the engine. When you "squeeze" The solenoid opens and releases the n2o from the bottle and the line to the nozzle. The jet that is in the nossle determines the amount of nitrous allowed through at a time (Shot size. Bigger hole, more nitrous. Smaller hole, less nitrous.) The nozzle is either mounted on the intake piping, intake manifold, or special plates. This is where the n2o is introduced to the engine. When n2o is heated, it will split into two parts nitrogen and one parts oxygen. When this happens, the nitrogen offers a "cooling effect" and the extra oxygen is presented to the combustion chamber. To compensate for the extra oxygen, there should be more fuel and therefore a bigger combustion leading to more power.

Wet kit vs. Dry Kit
A wet kit refers to a nitrous system which sprays nitrous and fuel from the nitrous nozzle, or uses two seperate nozzles for nitrous and fuel, while a dry kit only sprays nitrous.

Shots
Shots refer to the size jet you are running in your nitrous system. This determines the amount of hp you want to achieve. My rule of thumb is never run more than 35% of your whp. While this is not always true, to be on the safe side, this should be a good starting ground.

Type-S owners, that means 65 shot for you, and 50 shot for base owners! Note that several members are beyond these numbers already, some by as much as 50% more nitrous than the safety number suggests, so it IS possible!

WOT Switch
Wide Open Throttle switches. They have a sensor in the throttle body itself. To spray the nitrous you arm the system and put the pedal to the metal (wide open throttle). You only spray when you floor it. Some WOT switches are computer reliant and read off a wire that you tap, while others are an actual switch that you mount to the throttle body.

Octane
Octane, by definition, is the resistance to burn or detonation. The higher the rating, the slower the burn when ignited during the compression burn cycle of the piston. The higher octane allows for better control of burning for high compression engines. So we want to match the correct octane rating of the gasoline to the engine design to ensure complete burning of the gasoline by the engine for maximum fuel economy and clean emissions.

Running Nitrous on the RSX
To run nitrous on the RSX, you really don't have to do anything but buy the kit and install it. Colder plugs are recommended, but not neccesary. The RSX should be able to handle up to a 50 shot safely without doing anything special. You would have to run a wet kit on the RSX, unless it is the Venom kit. When moving up from 50 shots, that's when things will start to get a little tricky.

Common Switches & Device Controls

1) Nitrous Arm makes the system active. It arm the eletrical release of the nitrous into the intake/motor. I.E. the momentary switches like in the Fast and the Furious would not work unless this switch was on. The same is true for the wide open throttle switch like Daddy and I have.

2) A bottle heater switch activates the, usually, automatic bottle heater wrapped around the nitrous bottle. It reacts to the pressure and turns on at 900psi and shuts off at 1100psi I believe. It keeps the pressure ideal as long as it's not too hot in the car.

3) The remote bottle opener...? Opens and closes the bottle electronically with a motorized opener from a remote location.

4) The purge switch is a momentary switch (button) that release nitrous from the line between the purge solenoid and the bottle. If the bottle is closed it just releases the leftovers... (done for safety and to keep your lines clean for the next round).. If the bottle is open the purge will keep going as long as you hold the button down or run our of air pressure.. whichever comes first.

5) The purge arm switch makes the purge button active. I.E. if this is not on you can not purge.

6) An RPM Activated "Window" switch only allows a circuit to complete, (let's suppose it's the nitrous arm switch), when the motor is revving in a set RPM range - say 3500-7800RPMs in the case of the Type-S RSX as an optimal range. (3000-6800 for the base model)

NX Kit Nozzle Settings for the RSX(N/F)

35: 31/18

50: 35/20

75: 41/24

100: 52/31

A lot of useful info can also be had here:

http://www.nitrousinfo.com/

Feel free to add on to or correct any of this Az.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Done! :wavey:

Helluva list we've put together. Good work Alpha!

Additional questions from newbies:

I am new to nitrous and I'm scared of it. I've heard all the stories of people blowing up their engines and stuff, but reading this forum it sounds pretty safe provided you do nothing stupid.

Can someone give me an idea of how nitrous is used in a real world situation. Some things I've been wondering:

+ Is it wise to use it in first gear (when not drag racing)

Wise? Is nitrous wise? There is no problem with 1st gear. Just be ready!

+ What about turns... if there is a turn up ahead, I would assume that you don't use any shot at all, and never in a turn. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I use it in turns a lot, just not from a stand still.. If you're already going really fast it won't matter much.

+ Does lack of LSD (limited-slip) affect controlability?

I don't have one.

+ Assuming I have an RPM range switch, would I have a toggle switch or pushbutton or something else to enable and disable the shot. Would this switch be easy to engage/disengage, if I change my mind or need to stop quickly.

There is a nitrous arm switch.. which activates the window switch. You can put it anywhere.

+ Downshifting would be bad if the nitrous in engaged, right?

Downshift FIRST. THEN spray.

+ Is getting better brakes and rotors recommended to compensate for the higher performance?

Yep, but not necessary.

Can someone please posts tips on using it and when not to use it (aside from the obvious).

Use it when you want to own someone. I never use it in the rain... otherwise I'll use it anywhere that's paved!

Also, I'm curious with a Type-S and the NX wet kit about what kind of bhp gain would I be looking at from 35, 50, 75, and 100 setups respectively?

You get about 75% of the given shot to the wheels.. i.e. 37 for 50 shot.

MORE:

Are there benefits to using nitrous with turbo or supercharger applications?

Absorutely! In turbo applications, turbo lag is completely eliminated with the addition of a nitrous system. In addition, both turbo and superchargers compress the incoming air, thus heating it. With the injection of nitrous, a tremendous intercooling effect reduces intake charge temperatures by 75 degrees or more. Boost is usually increased as well; adding to even more power. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.