Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

bottle warmer or torch

5K views 96 replies 32 participants last post by  TravelinDC5 
#1 ·
is it a better idea to get a bottle warmer or just use a torch...i heard the bottle warmers take a while

#53 · (Edited)
i only breezed through the first couple of pages but u guys are so quick to jump to conclusions. People atdrag events have been using torches for YEARS on their domestics to bring up their bottle pressures before their next run, its not unsafe you just have to be careful when you do it. I've had buddies do it at the race track it'll be fine. I dont recommend just driving around with a torch and just using it on the roads.

#55 ·
as i said, its been used in drag racing, its so they can warm the bottles up quickly before their next run. And these are not just my buddies, legitimate/professional drag racers do this not just kids just so they can get another solid run out of the bottle because as someone else stated, a warmer wont get the pressure up fast enough sometimes. Maybe not in competitions but in test and tune next time at your local race track keep an eye open on the fast nitrous guys who will probably be in the dial-in lane.

U guys swear like these bottles are made out of some cheap shit thats gonna just melt when u take a torch to it.

#62 · (Edited)
And these are not just my buddies, legitimate/professional drag racers do this not just kids just so they can get another solid run out of the bottle because as someone else stated, a warmer wont get the pressure up fast enough sometimes..
No legit/pro drag racer in America would ever do that, they have spare bottles and a spare heater wired into their tow truck's electrical system. A quick easy bottle swap between races and they are ready for the next run. Any track in the Us would toss and ban ANY racer caught with a torch in the pits, also the NHRA would expel anyone using a torch and they would lose any race points since this is a clear violation of NHRA rules (and other races would be quick to point it out to the track since it would eleminate a cheater). This nitwit practice is purely in the domain of idiots and kids too stupid to know better (or mental pygmies that believe what they read on the internet)

#57 ·
its not about preference, have you ever been to a test and tune night at a race track?

people buy bags of ice and put them on their engine just to try and cool their engine temps before the next run. These guys will do anything to extract the maximum potential of their motors, and so will the nitrous guys from their bottles.

#58 ·
^Test & tune, several times. Test & tune is not a racing event. It's setup for testing and tuning. Any "competition", friendly or otherwise is between the people racing. I wouldn't call someone who buys $2 worth of ice to cool their engine or blower down doing "anything" to get maximum potential. A good heater has more than enough tine to "refresh" itself between runs. If your just hot lapping (why would you do this) your bottle pressure may suffer. So much that I'm gonna take a torch to my bottle, hell no. I can wait a minute or two. It's not that serious.

#59 ·
Alot of those guys are from the old school before there were bottle warmers. Regardless alot of these guys get under cars without jackstands, pour fuel in there cars while smoking and other dumb things. Would you do them as well? Heating any high pressure tank with a torch, while effective, will eventually weaken the tank. Alot of people do alot of dumb things. It doesn't mean its safe. My bottle warmer keeps my bottle at very close to the right temp needed even with hot laps. (Not that I do that often.) Once it is up to temperature it keeps it within about 25 - 50psi until it is almost empty. For the hundred bucks or so, it is well worth the cost. I would not use nitrous with out it.

#70 ·
Vin says you are a retard to use open flame to his bottle of NAWZ

Reactions: TravelinDC5
#74 ·
I would never use a torch to heat my bottle. I have a pressure regulated heater and it works great. I don't know how this site is about posting links to products but I'm sure one can be found with a google search. I have seen people using torches to heat bottles up and I have nothing to do with them. Nitrous is very nice when used safely and correctly. Outside of those boundaries anything can happen and I don't want to be around if/when it does.

#75 ·
torch is the ghetto way but weve had many a race with a kid torching a bottle...it works fine as long as ur not stupid..the bottle warmer is obviously safer though but as u said takes a while

#78 ·
i use the torch, buy my bottle gets used about once or twice a month. As long the bottle is EVENLY heated, it will nto cause damage. Yet again their are people who do not udnerstnad that and continue to hold the torch in one sport, cuasing the aluminium to melt.

#82 ·
running around on the street i'll just use my heater... race day when i want a bottle pressure above 900 psi i'll use a torch and as blackdc5nj said if you heat the bottle evenly you'll have no problem.. if a real heater is out of the budget you could use a heated blanket (which would cost you tops 20 dollars) and ghetto rig that up and spend like 30 bucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.