Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Pics of Nitrous Install

4K views 66 replies 14 participants last post by  EG6Hatch 
#1 ·
Got the nitrous finished up this past week. Sprayed for the first time last night and everything felt good. No knocks, and she was pretty rich. Didn't have time to spray again so I'm gonna try and pull a lil' fuel tonight and see how much it leans out. I'm aiming for 12.0's across the board with the spray on. Here's the pics.

See less See more
#3 ·
looking good, do you have pics of where you mounted the bottle brackets too, like under the carpet pics? And is it still easy to get to your spare tire? BTW you shift knob doesn't look like its on straight :)

#6 ·
Put the 75 shot in today. Pulls alot harder now. Still tweaking the A/F's too. In some spots it's still pig rich, and in others it starts to lean out towards 12.5.

On another note. I'm only pulling 2 degrees of timing with the 75 shot and no knocks. My timing was already advanced 4-6 degrees more than stock, so in reality I'm still running 2-4 degrees more than stock with no knocks on the 75 shot.

#8 ·
Injen CAI, RBC IM, HONDATA IMG, TB Coolant Bypass, OBX Version 1 Race Header, 2.5" Mandrel Exhaust with SP2 Muffler, and HONDATA K-PRO. I dyno'd 220whp with all these mods.

I'm running NGK 1-step colder Iridiums.

#16 ·
Something is bothering me about the numbers you posted. You say you are adding 825 units of fuel with a 75 shot. That seems really really really high. I put the .048 (100shot) jet in this morning and tuned it just now at lunch. To get 12.0 A/F's I am only adding 380-475 units of fuel through-out the rpm range. Even on HONDATA's nitrous tutorial vid he says that a 100 shot would require somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 units of fuel. So that puts me dead on. But your fuel numbers are extremely high. I wonder why?

Get some in car vids :vtec:
I plan on it. I have an 12.0 megapixel HD Camera that records video in 1280 x 720.

#14 ·
Cool.

I think I'm just gonna put the .048 jet in. The fact that it doesn't knock one single count just has me baffled. I'm gonna throw the 100 shot jet in tomorrow morning and run it. I've got some races lined up with a couple 370awhp EVO's, so I wanna make the best of it. :shady:

#15 ·
Get some in car vids :vtec:

#17 · (Edited)
uh, if you go to the help file and click windows > parameters > and then nitrous, at the bottom of the page it shows rough fuel values for nitrous... .047 which is a 100 shot requires in the neighborhood of 850 units, something doesn't seem right in your setup or you are not spraying near the amount you think you are if you are achieving 100 shot with 400 units of fuel on .047 jet. Only thing I can think of is that you are running extremely rich under N/A conditions therefore not requiring you to add alot of extra fuel during N20 engagement.

what injectors are you running, and what is your bottle pressure at.

My setup was tuned by Jeff Evans of Evans tuning, the extra fuel is a buffer against leaning out under different conditions.

Upload your .kal and a datalog of your 3rd gear run.

I am also running in open loop 100% of the time and never in closed loop.

I'm attaching a shot of the help file form Hondata I labeled the jet amounts so you can see them for reference.

Nitrous Jet----Fuel Value
--.024-------------200 <-----26 Shot
--.032-------------350 <-----46 Shot
--.047-------------850 <-----100 Shot

a .048 is 104.05 Flywheel HP jet which should be roughly 90 to the wheels
a .047 is 99.76 Flywheel HP

#18 ·
I'm really confused. I think something is wrong. Cause the 100shot doesn't feel that strong in my car. My A/F's stay right around 12.0 throughout the rpm range with fuel values of 380-475. It almost feels like a 50shot. It doesn't make sense though. My bottle pressure is 1000psi. The jet says .048 right on the side of it. It's like its not spraying enough. WTF?!?!?!?!? I'll try and get a good datalog tonight to upload. I knew it didn't feel as strong as it should, but I just thought it was because I'm not running a purge.

#19 ·
Those fuel values that they recommend, are they for a 11.5-12.0 Air Fuel Ratio? What would cause the nitrous to not spray as much as it should? Solenoid not opening all the way? Restriction in the line? I removed the nozzle from the intake and supplied 12V to it, and it opens and sprays nitrous. I also supplied a ground source to the relay as if the PCM was turning on the nitrous and it sprays fine. I also drove with the nozzle sticking up out from the back of my hood. When the paramters were all met it sprayed fine. So I know everything is turning on when it's supposed to. It just seems like it's not spraying enough nitrous for some reason. I'm stumped and very irritated right now. Do you think it could be a faulty Solenoid not opening completely? How could I test it to find out?

#24 ·
Yeah, something is definitely up. I pulled the solenoid apart and I think I might have found something. I've never had one apart before until now so correct me if I'm wrong. At the end of step 7, it talks about "A seal, which is flat, but protrudes from the plunger body has probably failed internally and should be replaced." I found the nylon insert that seals the outlet hole DOES protrude out past plunger. It's flat, but it sticks out about 2-3mm past the edge of the plunger. I assume that this will block the flow of nitrous, maybe causing my problem? What do you think?

Also, I'm going to be filling my bottle this weekend just to be sure it's not that. I wasted some today testing everything, so it probably is getting close to half or less.

#27 · (Edited)
How long have you had that solenoid? Have you left the bottle open for long periods of time (hour +, days, etc)? The seal is supposed to stick out. It is bad when it is not flat on the bottom. If it is dome shaped, chipped or is mis-shaped in some way other then flat with a small indentation in the middle where it seats that is when it is damaged. I just took one of mine apart to see what it looks like. I have at least 15, 10# bottles through it and it is fine.

You can replace the plunger but I am not convinced that is your issue. Start by weighing the bottle. Always start with the simple things because they usually cause the problem.

If you are using a 75+ shot you are only going to get about 10 to 12 qtr miles pulls out of a 10# bottle. If that.

#28 ·
How long have you had that solenoid? Have you left the bottle open for long periods of time (hour +, days, etc)?

You can replace the plunger but I am not convinced that is your issue. Start by weighing the bottle. Always start with the simple things because they usually cause the problem.

If you are using a 75+ shot you are only going to get about 10 to 12 qtr miles pulls out of a 10# bottle. If that.
I think he just got the Dynotune kit brand new, surely the solenoid wouldn't be going out this fast.

#29 ·
hum....I did leave the bottle open for a good 48 hours straight the first time I put it in. It probably evaporated most of it out during that time. I'll pull it out tommorow and weigh it. That is probably what is causing this. I doubt I'll have a chance to today. I'm about to start working on my buddies SRT-4, and then I'm going to a cookout this evening for the 4th.

So the seal is supposed to stick out a tiny bit? Damn. I thought I found the problem. lol Oh well.

I also decided that running without a purge is not the way to go. It takes way to long for the nitrous to purge itself when you don't use one. So I ordered one yesterday and it will be here next week some time.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know once I weigh it.

#30 ·
Weighed the bottle this weekend and topped it off. It weighed 20 lbs 0 oz. So it was half full. I was hoping it would be lower then that because I have ran them that low before and not had any problems with a weak shot. My purge should be here sometime this week, so I'm just gonna wait til' it comes and then try the 100 shot again. I should be able to feel a full bottle 100shot with a purge. If not, then something else is wrong.

#31 ·
This may not be your problem, but every so often the shop that fills my bottle opens it up and lets out any compressed gas that may be in it. He makes sure that the bottle is filled all N02. ???:dontknow:

#36 ·
I blew out the lines before the first spray.

I thought it might be a clogged jet or solenoid too, so I inspected the entire system for obstructions. Everything is good.

I got the purge on late last night, so I didn't have a chance to spray it yet. I'm gonna try it out here in a lil' bit with my fuel values set at 850 like what is recommended for a 100shot. I'll know shortly if it's cured or if I still have a problem somewhere.

#38 ·
Dude, my thread isn't for your noob questions. Ask it in the FAQ thread at the top of the page, or start your own thread.

Well guys and girls. I just sprayed. HOLY SHIT!!!! It is definitely working now. Tq steer in 3rd gear is very interesting to say the least. lol I just need to mess with the A/F's a lil and it will be dialed in perfect. No knocks either. :chuck:

#44 · (Edited)
Just a lil' update. The nitrous started feeling weak again after I tried to spray it again yesterday. I had been driving around, a couple days after the first spray, with the bottle open and the heater on so I could get the heater dialed in to the 900-950 range. So I figured the bottle was low again. Pulled it out and went to my dad's house. Threw it on the scale and it weighed 20 lbs 14oz. almost 21 lbs. So that means it had about 6 lbs of nitrous in it. Why is the nitrous becoming soooo weak when it gets down to this point? When I had my 75 shot WET ZEX kit last summer, I could run it down to about 2-3 lbs before the shot felt weak. It doesn't make sense that it's feeling weak with 6 lbs still remaining in the bottle. The purge even seems weak when it gets to this point. I have checked every fitting and line for leaks. NONE. Could it be a faulty siphon tube or bottle valve?

So..... I topped off the bottle while I was at my dad's house. Later that night the GF and I went to eat with a few other car friends. I didn't race anyone, but on the ride home the GF wanted to feel the nitrous now that it's running right and I had a full bottle. She rode with me before when it was half empty and she agreed that you couldn't really feel the nitrous. So, I did a 2nd to 4th gear pull, and needless to say she was all smiles. She immediately said,"That was ALOT Faster!" lol I got some juicy sex as soon as we got home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.