Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrous FAQ DO NOT POST BEFOR READING THIS!!!

45K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Ravelin00 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright. The Sticky was very informative, but no one read it thoroughly enough to get their own answers and since 2003 it
hasnt been updated so here we go again!
I took most of the info from the original FAQ, added and deleted and kept it in a FAQ form.
I am not taking full credit for this as it is not all my wording, again this is just an updated version of the original.

I want to get this in here first so that everyone can make a quick decision wether or not to move forward. And im assuming everyones follwing my title and at least opening this befor posting (yeah right)
WARNING! NITROUS CAN DESTROY A MOTOR IN A BLINK OF AN EYE IF NOT MAINTAINED AND CONTROLLED PROPERLY
This is a normal piston in good condition.

This is a piston after nitrous, if you dont want to turn out like this then read everything you can about nitrous and follow the guidence and directions that you receive in this part of the fourms. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Do I need colder spark plugs/What kind of plugs should i use?
Try to find a plug with a short ground electrode. This is generally thought to be more important than a colder heat range.
Because temperature will increase so severely and quickly when using nitrous oxide,
the temperature at the tip of the plug's ground electrode will become extremely hot very
quickly - the longer the ground electrode, the longer it will take for the excess heat to be conducted away from the
tip to the plug shell and ultimately into the cooling system. An overheated ground electrode tip can cause detonation and
may even fail completely.
Now while colder plugs will be of limited worth during a large, short burst of nitrous,
they will help to return the sparkplug tip to a safer operating temperature more quickly in between or after nitrous use.
So I know it might be hard to find a listing of how long a grounding electrode is when deciding between plugs so here is two
plug names and there sold right on clubrsx!
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (IK22) & (IK24) - difference is the 22's have a heat rating of 7 and the 24's are rated at 8
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs- check the part number and description as there are specific plugs for nitrous and F/I

Do I need to get anything special to run nitrous on my RSX?
To run a basic nitrous system on the RSX, you don't really have to do much but buy the kit and install it.
The RSX can handle up to a 75 wet shot safely without having to use kpro to pull timing and add fuel, although no matter what
the shot is its highly recommended to use kpro.

Can I run a dry kit on the RSX?
YES! There are two ways first and least recommended is with the venom or zex kit which comes with an ignition retard box,
that controls the fuel addition and retarding ignition. But if your going to spend the time and money on it, do it right
and do it with KPRO.
#2 Kpro now comes with its own paramaters specifically for nitrous and 3 stages at that! With Kpro you
get fuel/ignition control over an adjustable rpm board, and activation/deactivation with rpm, speed, load, and knock settings.

What's the difference between a dry kit and wet kit?

Both kits generally include
Bottle, Bottle Brackets, 12'-16' of Braided Line, Relay Box
Possibly Switches or Button, Jets Ranging from 18-47 Depends on Kit​

Wet
-Fuel & Nitrous selonid
-2'Fuel & Nitrous line
-Shark Nozzle for
fuel and nitrousmixture.

Dry
-Just a Nitrous solenoid
-2' line to run from solenoid to intake
-Single fan nozzle just for nitrous
-Your going to need to add Kpro and bigger injectors

A wet kit has a nitrous solenoid and a fuel selonoid, it taps into your fuel rail, using the pressure and a specific pill rating to mix the approiate amount of fuel with nitrous. This is the basic and easy way to run nitrous but you get the least amount of tune-ability.

A dry kit has just a nitrous solenoid and relies on Kpro to add fuel via largerinjectors. You get great fine tune-ability through youryour stock a/f sensor so you can consistantly spray and stay in the 12-11:5 a/f ratio range. This way is morei nvolved and expensive but 100 times better for your car, much safer, and more reliable.

What is the best kit to get?
There really isn't a BEST nitrous kit to get. It all depends on your taste and what your ultimate goal is.
All in all, a dry kit would be the easiest to install and remove if you are just looking for that small burst.
Most single fogger wet kits are basically the same thing, it all just depends on what brand you like.
NOS, Dynotune, NX, are pretty much the top 3 brands used by memebers of crsx.

When do I use nitrous? What RPM?
It is safest to use nitrous at about 3500rpms and higher unless you are an advanced user and have a well understanding
of how to tune nitrous. This rpm is said because generally anything lower and the motor is not spinning fast enough to
handle the load and its puts a great deal of stress on the motor. Here is an example watch in front of the car and just
in front of the rear tire... (((Attach vid of backfire here)))

How much money does a kit cost?
Kits start anywhere from $350 to $1500.
It all depends on the kit and the accessories.
Less expensive kits are going to come with less, for instance no bottle heater or limited amount of jets.
Do your research befor buying a kit!!!! Whats worth doing, is worth doing once and right the first time.
Check additional sticky's for a parts list.

How will nitrous effect my engine reliability?
Nitrous won't really put any excess wear and tear on the motor if used correctly and within certain paramaters, you can't
just hook up a 150shot go to town on your car it will blow. So far it seems the k20 can handle up to a 100shot with stock
internals, but recently crsx members have been pushing the limit a little more and a couple of us have up it to around
a 125 shot, this is not recomended for beginners to try at all!
Just keep in mind there is only a certain amount of stress the stock motor can handle before it starts the abnormal wear and tear.
But again nitrous used correctly will not cause any adverse effects to the motor.

How long will a bottle last me?
It all depends on the bottle size, how long you spray and the size of the shot.
With a normal 10lb bottle used with a 75 shot, you can get anywhere from 12-17 quarter-mile passes.

How long can I spray at a time?
It's said to be safe up to 15 seconds. "well thats not a lot" well When you think about it though 15 seconds is plenty
of time to run through the first 4 gears, especially on spray! plus if your spraying and it takes you more than 15 seconds
down a 1/4 mile track, you shouldnt be using nitrous anyway.

What accessories do I need and why?
-A bottle heater is the biggest one on my list. The bottle heater keeps the bottle at a good pressure.
Low pressure in the bottle will cause for very weak shots and also cause you to run rich which also slows you down and running
to rich can hurt the motor along with running to lean. With the bottle pressure at an optimum psi, it will give
stronger and more consistant shots.
-A purge kit allows for every shot to be of full nitrous. Air gets into the lines and can cause your initial shot to "stumble",
the purge kit clears the lines and fills it with PURE nitrous after your first shot though purging again isn't necessary it just
looks cool.
-Remote bottle openers are expensive IMO but if your bottles in the trunk then they can be of great convience, just depends
on if you feel like spending the money. Instead of getting out of the car and popping the trunk, you can hit a switch and open the bottle.
Safety features like windows switches, fpss, etc. These are good for first timers.
-Nitrous/Fuel gauge. Fuel gauge not needed but recommended just so you are aware of how your car is running. Nitrous gauge,
NEEDED, its recommended that you have this insite so you can make sure your spraying at the right psi
Going hand in hand next,
-Pressure switch, which actually comes with the dynotune heater. Set it and forget it, just set the adjuster to the right pressure
and it automatically switches your heater off when its reached the "sweet spot"
-Fuel pressure switch, pretty much cuts your system off if you lack fuel pressure, again not needed but some recommend it.

Can I use nitrous with a regular Hondata reflash?
NO!!!! Hondata reflash advances timing, and you don't want that with nitrous.
Advanced timing + nitrous = Detonation.

What is a shot? How much horsepower per shot do I get?
The size of the "shot" refers to how much nitrous is being injected into the engine.
50shot=50hp. The shot size relates to how much crank hp it is getting. Some kits vary,
and the hp gains are never exact, but it gives you a good idea of what you are gaining.

NX Kit Nozzle Settings for the RSX(N/F)
(some sizes vary from brand to brand, but these will get you in the ball park of what
your going to be using, again do some research and find out for sure according to your brand)
*whp is a rough estimates as each car and setup will vary*

Crank Shot Size WHP
35: 31/18 -37 whp

50: 35/20 -47 whp

75: 41/24 -65 whp

87: 44/26 -75whp

100: 52/31 -103whp

125: 55/36 -116whp

There will be more to come just give me some time.

Thanks goes out to k20a2racer, Alpha Zero, and Oside Jimc for their original imput.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tuning nitrous with Kpro

Straight forward and simple, tuning nitrous with kpro...here we go!

First of all these steps are for someone who has their nitrous kit hooked up with kpro and is ready to start tuning the spray

Open kpro, open your map of choice and navigate to the nitrous tab in the paramaters table.

Step 1- Click on the "Enable Nitrous Control" tab to allow editing.

Step 2- Set your arming input and output controls accordingly (see reference diagrams for In/Out put numbers)

Step 3- Set conditions to your preference
Engine speed represents your starting and stopping rpm *** A good rule of thumb for beginners is to NOT spray below 4000rpms and to have it shut off around 200 rpms before your rev limiter.
Engine load is fine to just leave at default settings, if you are not an experienced kpro/nitrous user.
Throttle is pretty self explanatory, you only spray at full throttle so a min. of 99% and max of anything 102% and higher will work.
Vehicle speed is your mph and can be helpful when controlling which gear to spray in
Knock Count is set as the maximum amount of knocks you can have before kpro shuts the nitrous off

Step 4- Click on the "Fuel & Ignition" tab
In this tab you can set the starting rpm and ending rpm and divide up the rpms between and set fuel values to be added when you hit that rpm
*I have found that for optimum tuning, since there are 12 blocks to use take your starting rpm and subtract it from your ending rpm then divide that by 12 and that will break down your rpms evenly.

EXAMPLE- 4600-8600RPMS that gives you 4000 rpms to spray in. 4000/12= 333 So start at 4600 and add 333 and that would be your next rpm for the next block and so on and so forth.
*You can set it up how ever you want i just like to use this method.*
After this you will enter in your fuel values according to your shot size.

Next you will set your Ignition Compensation. This is setup like the rpm blocks and i like to divide the rpms up again just like the fuel table. As for pulling ignition you will pull a specific amount according to the shot your using.

Step 5- Test and Tune
Now that everythings set up and ready to go you can go out and datalog a third gear pull. Depending on your A/F ratio you will adjust your fuel values IN THE NITROUS TAB to compensate. DO NOT ADJUST FUEL VALUES IN THE MAPS FUEL TABLE. If you have any knocks locate them on the graph you datalogged and pull another degree of timing and add a little fuel to eliminate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.