Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

JugginDC5's going for the big numbers build thread

6K views 111 replies 19 participants last post by  BuiltRSX 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys. I don't really share too much about my car too often, but I figured I'd document my car a little bit. Maybe get some insight along the way and share my experiences with fellow CRSXers. Well here's the background. I have been buying parts and looking forward to a build for a while now, just kept getting sidetracked with a lot of other things in life. We've all been there at one point. Anyway, about a month ago, after 2 years and 7 months of abuse, I spun a bearing in the loyal k20z1. My tough decision was to stay with the rev-happy 2.0l or step up to the beast, the k24. I have decided to go with the bigger motor in hopes that it will be able to handle more nitrous. Well my power goals are between 275-280whp on motor and around 500whp on spray. I have been doing a lot of research lately and I am confident now in what I know to purchase parts for my setup. Also I have started the process of gutting the car. It is no longer a daily driver for me and I am not too concerned with following a certain rulebook and being competetive at drag events. Everything that can be removed will be ditched. If I can get the car down to 2350lbs w/ me in it, I will be ecstatic. These are my goals. I don't see the problems with achieving them and I hope to have the car running by the end of June. any input would be awesome, opinions welcome. I'll update this as much as possible

So far parts ordered/received:
Kpro
Bottom end
K24A4 block stock sleeves
Wiseco 13.7:1 88mm pistons
Brian Crower bRods
ERL sS2000 modified oil pump
ACL race bearings

Head
Brian Crower stg 3 cams
Brian Crower springs/steel retainers
Blueprint 0.5mm oversize valves
k24A1 head w/ prostreet+ port/polish (349cfm @.550")

Parts yet to be purchased:
Cometic 0.030" 88mm headgasket
ARP headstuds
OEM bearings
RRC manifold
Skunk2 70mm throttle body
Skunk2 exhaust cam gear
ASP aluminum exhaust
1000cc Bosch injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Parts yet to be decided on:
Header? not sure, would like suggestions
convert to a return line fuel system?

I am not too sure what kind of fuel system requirements will be needed to run the car on e85 and I am also not sure if a bigger fuel system will hurt the car when it is not on e85 (like injectors being too big). Suggestions here will be the most helpful. Thanks a lot guys :)

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
Yea, there may be a lot on the table, but I really wanna be able to drive the car on the street every now and again, even if it is a bare metal beast haha

I finally got my car from my work to my personal garage getting ready for the teardown :thumbsup: This is the poor girl's journey. The car has seen a lot in the past few months, but while the motor is out, she'll get a complete makeover. Take a good look because this is the last time it'll loko anything like this :)

#35 ·
Hey, I am gonna be a guine pig and try to figure out a progressive controller that will work in conjunction with Kpro, I know several have tried different ways and it doesnt work right, but I figure within the next 12 months or so I will find a way to make it work, and if I do, I think running just one BIG stage DP would be better for both of us rather than several stages, that will still present a tiny bit of traction issues. Just bear with me and wish me luck. Alot of people say things cant be done on alot of things, but takes research and time. I really cant wait to see your build. I was gonna be at near 13:1 with my 2.0L but gonna run .030" to lower it a bit so I can run a lil more timing rather than retarding it so much to run 93octane.

#37 ·
yeah, cause basically a preogressive controller opens and shuts them really fast. Also, I will be on DRs for my class, so it will be more like 50-75shot first stage, then figure something out after that. I am sure juggindc5 will be on slicks which will help.

#38 ·
A progressive controller I feel would be more beneficial in 3rd gear and on. I don't see the ramping of power being as effective since 1st and second are soo short. In this case a 50 or 75 in first, a 100 in second and say a 150+50 or 75 would be the most effective in 3rd and 4th. That is something that kpro could handle although the big direct port would have to be a wet kit until the progressive controller/kpro relationship can be worked out.

I am all for experimenting as unlocking the secret will help so many. Maybe from this the first 10sec rsx will come about :thumbup:

BuiltRSX
If you find anything that sparks your interest or you see something that I could change, let me know. Maybe I can do some of the experimenting for you

#41 ·
I got a package from my new friend the ups man courtesy of clubrsx. Gotta drop off my 0.5mm oversize blueprint valves at the machine shop so my machinest can get started on the head. Tomorrow is supposed to be like xmas all over again so hopefully everything comes on time. :)

#42 ·
Well, I got a couple packages yesterday and just took the time to look at everything. I got my rods and valvetrain in. Also got my timing chain, guides and timing cover as well. I got the chance to drop off the valvetrain so hopefully in 2 weeks I'll have the head back and I'll be able to focus on everything else as in stripping down the chassis and getting the bottom end shipped out.

A couple things I thought about was what direction I was gonna go with suspension. My buddy i work with runs a machine shop so I gave him my coilovers (Tein Flex) to have custom 65mm seats and locks made so I can run the smaller diameter spring without issue. This will allow me to run a rear spring up to 32kg. Not sure exactly what I want at the moment, but atleast I have choice now. Also I decided to go with a PCI spherical bearing on the LCA. With Innovative track mounts this should keep wheelhop to a minimum.

Also, since the stage 3 cams are out of stock till June I was taking a good look at the rocker assembly from the a1 head. I considering using the a1 exhaust assembly on both the intake and exhaust side and running only the vtec lobe on the cams. Opinions? Here's a pic of the rockers I'm talking about.

#43 ·
just got pistons in today. Dropped them off at Jess Miller machine. The block is getting bored, honed, align bored, everything balanced from the crank pulley to the clutch and thoroughly cleaned. Just ordered my clutch as well today courtesy of club rsx! I wont be getting my block or head back till first or second week in june so I'll have time to focus on getting the chassis prepared, my fuel system squared away and buy my interior. I'll post pics of the chassis' current state later tonight

#44 ·
your machine shop doesnt want the pistons before they bore and hone it? Mine wouldnt touch the block til I brought him the pistons. I dunno, I am assuming so things could be more exact...

So ya think by the end of June she will be running? Cant wait.

#45 ·
They have my pistons, They have my block, pistons, rods, crank, crank pulley, and as soon as my clutch and flywheel come they will have that as well. Everything will be balanced to +/- 0.2 grams. They have a reputation for awesome work so I'm looking forward to it. End of june is still my deadline so we shall see. :)

#49 ·
You have no idea. I'm so stoked. I didn't expect to have this extensive of a build. I just wanted something simple at first, but the snowball effect has left me with a lot more than a simple build. Should be a monster on the street
hahah i wanted exhaust lowering springs and to just have fun with a 50 shot.... 7k later id say i made a pretty big snowball :dontknow:

#54 ·
Just figured I'd give this thread a little update. I bought a couple essentials for the car on Friday and just got the chance to give them some love and attention. I bought an SSR header, ported rbc and BDL 70mm from a member on the board. The header is the mild steel version and it had a lot of oxidation on it. I took the time to wire brush and sand it. Got some vht ceramic paint and this is the end result. I can't wait to get this bolted to the motor. I think it turned out amazingly well. :)

#57 ·
Sorry, I've been really busy with work and all so I haven't had the chance to sit down and update.

My block was completed last week at the machine shop. I had everything balanced, bored, honed, and micropolished. I have to pick it up friday so I will have an update when it is in my possession.

My head is in the middle of being ported. Baseline it flowed 276cfm off the face of the head. and with the start of the port work flowed 298cfm off of the face. With the adaptor that was just made the numbers jumped to 314cfm. There is still a lot of work to do on it and I am looking for @350+ as a final result. I have to stop in on thrusday so I'll snap some pics of the progress when I'm there

I talked to my personal machinist tonight and gave him my stock intake cam gear to be modified so I can clay my motor with confidence and know my exact piston/valve clearances at 5 degree increments from 0-50 (although I don't expect much past 20 degrees). I will post pics when I have a final product but what we came up with will be badass and I am excited to see and use it.

I have had a change in cams since speaking with blueprint racing and I am looking into their pro series cams with a custom profile for my motor and see where that lands me. I am not 100% on this so a few more conversations with blueprint and spyder prep should give me a better direction.

Thursday I will work more on my manifold. I purchased my bdl and ported rbc a while ago and I have to port the manifold to a true 70mm all the way through.

I got my top hats for my coilovers back from my machinist. I had them modified to accept a 65mm I.D. spring instead of the 70mm tein incorporates from the factory. I will post pics tomorrow night

I haven't had a chance to go back to the car for a couple weeks but right now it is just a shell on jack stands. I am waiting for fittings for my brake lines to redo the brakelines along the firewall since the abs module is being removed.

I will have a big update on friday so no worries. The build is still moving along at an acceptable pace. As always, when things get quiet that's when all the work gets done ;)

#60 · (Edited)
Well I've been busy with random things this weekend so I finally got the time to sit down and post this update. I picked up my block and rotating assembly and should start assembly on it tomorrow or tuesday. Also I got my cam gear back from my friend so I have the ability to check my clearances from 0-30 degrees vtc accurately. Tomorrow I am putting the dash back in the car so I will have pictures of the car either tomorrow night or tuesday. But here's some pics

I think someone bought and returned this flywheel before me because of the attemped balancing marks?

Balanced pressure plate :)

Well I had ordered stage 3 cams a couple months back and they were on backorder. Well I told them to send me stage 2 cams instead, but I guess they forgot to cancel my stage 3 order? Extra set of cams anyone :)

What a beautiful finish

Balanced and ready for work

The modified cam gear with timing marks at every 2.5 degrees

My head won't be done for atleast another week, but by then the block will be ready to be clayed and assembled. Can't wait

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.