Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

JugginDC5's going for the big numbers build thread

6K views 111 replies 19 participants last post by  BuiltRSX 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys. I don't really share too much about my car too often, but I figured I'd document my car a little bit. Maybe get some insight along the way and share my experiences with fellow CRSXers. Well here's the background. I have been buying parts and looking forward to a build for a while now, just kept getting sidetracked with a lot of other things in life. We've all been there at one point. Anyway, about a month ago, after 2 years and 7 months of abuse, I spun a bearing in the loyal k20z1. My tough decision was to stay with the rev-happy 2.0l or step up to the beast, the k24. I have decided to go with the bigger motor in hopes that it will be able to handle more nitrous. Well my power goals are between 275-280whp on motor and around 500whp on spray. I have been doing a lot of research lately and I am confident now in what I know to purchase parts for my setup. Also I have started the process of gutting the car. It is no longer a daily driver for me and I am not too concerned with following a certain rulebook and being competetive at drag events. Everything that can be removed will be ditched. If I can get the car down to 2350lbs w/ me in it, I will be ecstatic. These are my goals. I don't see the problems with achieving them and I hope to have the car running by the end of June. any input would be awesome, opinions welcome. I'll update this as much as possible

So far parts ordered/received:
Kpro
Bottom end
K24A4 block stock sleeves
Wiseco 13.7:1 88mm pistons
Brian Crower bRods
ERL sS2000 modified oil pump
ACL race bearings

Head
Brian Crower stg 3 cams
Brian Crower springs/steel retainers
Blueprint 0.5mm oversize valves
k24A1 head w/ prostreet+ port/polish (349cfm @.550")

Parts yet to be purchased:
Cometic 0.030" 88mm headgasket
ARP headstuds
OEM bearings
RRC manifold
Skunk2 70mm throttle body
Skunk2 exhaust cam gear
ASP aluminum exhaust
1000cc Bosch injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Parts yet to be decided on:
Header? not sure, would like suggestions
convert to a return line fuel system?

I am not too sure what kind of fuel system requirements will be needed to run the car on e85 and I am also not sure if a bigger fuel system will hurt the car when it is not on e85 (like injectors being too big). Suggestions here will be the most helpful. Thanks a lot guys :)

See less See more
#93 ·
Currently I am running the 13.7:1 pistons from wiseco. I believe they are the same pistons as you have, just a different size bore. I had all intentions of running JE 13.3:1 but plans changed with availability and wait time. But yea I had @.250" on the exhaust and @.110" on the intake @30*. I wish one of my k20 block laying around was bored to 88mm and I would throw it together and clearance it for you haha. Maybe someone with more mathematical knowledge can give some insight on the compression differences and p2v clearances between the k24 and k20.

Some people when they build and decide to run nitrous the fuel choice and the tuner becomes a big factor with nitrous. My personal has led me to the belief that with compression and nitrous, or any forced induction, the margin for error is so slim. Originally I had planned to keep everything in the low/mid 13s compression wise and now I am in the low 14s. I also had originally planned on using upwards of a 250shot of the laughing gas but with my compression I am on the fence about it and will settle for around 150 once I am confortable with the n/a tune. Now that does not mean I won't still shoot for my 500whp dream, but with me being the designer/builder/tuner/sponsor/driver it requires caution. Also yes you can run 100 shot all day on an rsx and I have run 125 with no problems. The weakness is the rods, not the pistons so considering aftermarket rods I would feel comfortable up to a 200 shot. Its just the cast pistons are not as forgiving and will let you know any flaws in the tune :)

#94 ·
Man I think 125-150shot will get you that 500whp mark. That crazy high compression will be awesome on bottle, will make that 150 shot act much much higher.

So you got a stock bore block? I got 11.7 Wiseco pistons that arent useable laying around? lol, you claying one would be a pita though, lol. It would be cool if everyone on CRSX that has clayed their motor, could make a spec sheet, like bore and stroke, deck/head height, piston brand and compression and what cams, etc, and what clearances they achieved. That way people like me and other lazy or not very knowledgable people could have a basic idea. I vote for a sticky on claying results!

#95 ·
I would be ecstatic if a 150 shot gave me a lot more. Actually ecstatic wouldn't even be the word. I would probably pass out from excitement. Time will tell though. I'm a newb with high compression and nitrous, but the same rules apply. The dyno won't lie so early september will tell how well I can get this k dialed in.

Hey, I'm all for getting some sort of spec sheet together. Maybe you're on to something. I would be willing to hang pistons on some stock rods to clay. I just don't have any cams laying around other than my stock z1's. If you wanna send a piston and cams I'll assemble and clay it. Or you could sell me the pistons for a spare block :) Lemme know we can work something out

#96 ·
Well I finally got the time to fully assembly the motor last night. The motor should be going in the car sometime this week and tuning should be started this weekend. I will post pics later today and vids hopefully this weekend. It's very close, it's been months in the making.

#97 ·
The pistons are trashed, they look like someone took a punch all over it on the sides. But I dont mind sending you one, think with a couple we are going to fab somekind of trophy or something out of, lol.

Im glad to hear your getting it together soon, cant wait to see numbers.

#98 ·
That's the kind of trophy I'm talking about. Let me know how I can win it haha. Yea if you wanna send me a piston I can clay. It'd give me some motivation to disassemble one of these k20s I have layin around. Tomorrow the motor is going in, and hopefully started. If not it'll be started thursday and driving on the road this weekend :)

#101 ·
These motors have ridiculous potential normally aspirated. Just takes a little bit of dedication :)

Sweet man, PM me your addy, if you dont mind, that is awesome, I know its alot of work. I am running the same cams as you, but not able to pull em out to send to you. So if that changes your mind, I totally understand.
As long as your not in a huge rush to get it back we'll be in good shape. Check pm :thumbsup:

#100 ·
Sweet man, PM me your addy, if you dont mind, that is awesome, I know its alot of work. I am running the same cams as you, but not able to pull em out to send to you. So if that changes your mind, I totally understand.

#104 ·
Is that a custom IM I spy? Or RBC that has been bored?

BTW, I went to my dad's house, where I store the car and parts, grabbed the pistons, and forgot em there, HA, I will grab em this weekend and ship em to ya sometime next weekend. Cant wait for results, I am desparate to make make hp on my lil setup.

#105 · (Edited)
She starts, well kind of. I'm having trouble getting a proper map that will start it consistently. I had it idling very well the other day, but ended up with a corrupt file and my backup map is not starting it again for some reason. Having fuel issues. But it wants to start just have to figure it out. It should be started and hopefully on the street next week.

And yes it is a custom rbc manifold. The runners are ported and matched to the head. The manifold is 70mm all the way through from the throttle body. I spent quality time porting the throttle body inlet. Should make good power :thumbsup:

That's cool man. When the piston gets here I'll take apart my block. I've been busy spending time trying to get this things fired up and running so I probably won't have any time for the next week or so. But I'm def looking forward to a present at the door haha.

#106 ·
After being involved in a few side projects the past month or so I haven't had a chance to work on the car. Last night I finally got her home. Just gotta get her reinspected and to the exhaust shop to have my exhaust made. Even with a simple base map with very conservative timing and running very rich she made the 10 mile cruise to my house and set very good first impressions. I am surprised at how good the motor feels and sounds. It'll be street tuned throughout the weekend and hitting the dyno end of the month after I work out any bugs and get my afrs and knock under control

#109 ·
Good luck with your numbers!

I'm having trouble tuning out the knock that I'm getting at idle. I was hoping to add some cam angle at idle to to bleed off some compression, but for some reason even with 20* being programmed in there is nothing showing in the camcmd. I wish I could bleed compression because I tried backing the timing down to 1* advanced and running rich at idle and I still get about 1 knock every other second. Is this normal. Mind you my compression is right at 14:1 but there is Sunoco 100 in the tank now. Could this be valvetrain noise? Any tips?

PS I think it's funny that the car doesnt pull more than 10.4" vacuum at idle.

#110 ·
I am having issues with constant knocks under cruise on mine, mine is less than 12.5:1 compression total. I am thinking its engine noise, my cruise isnt tuned, just using closed loop, though that might be the wrong way to do it, lol. And I didnt get on the dyno, I didnt get to leave house til late cause I was waiting for the new insurance company to insure me and say safe to drive the car in the pouring down storming rain to go get tuned(I wasnt going to drive an uninsured car in that, and wife had truck). So by the time I left, they had the dyno tied up with other scheduled cars.

#111 ·
What does your knock count end up looking like? I could see noise being part of it, but I'm like a paranoid parent sending their child off to school for the first time. I don't have a lot of experience tuning from scratch especially a motor with such high compression. I just don't like seeing knock haha.

When you think you might get back to the dyno? What kind of results are you expecting? What are your timing tables like?

#112 ·
I dont know when I can get back to the dyno now that race season is bout over and hunting season is here, lol. I dont hot rod my car, so I forget all bout WOT stuff once deer season is here, haha. Umm, I hope before too long I can, this past 16 months has really really really sucked for my car. The ignition for low cam cruise is what the Crower stage 2 map is set at, so are the fuel values, running closed loop. Though I jsut now opened it to read em off for you and realized I never changed the cam angles back around after my quick tune we did, and my cam angles are jumping from 25* cam to 35* with no stair stepping, and the rpm ranges I tend to get the knock is in that area.

Being I got 218whp last time, and now I have a much much better header and RBC IM, and I will take it to 40* cam(maxed last at 35* cause scared, and it acted like it wanted more cam advance) I am shooting for at least 240whp so there wont be any disappointment, originally I thought 270whp was reachable, that idea went out the window after seeing those cars were 2.4L blocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.