Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Nitrous Set-ups! Post Ur Pics

6K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  Acuraivtec 
#1 ·
just trying to start a thread with all the different set-ups for each persons nitrous system. all pics of the installation and the final result would be great. thanks

#52 ·
WarmPepsi said:
yes, as i said, it's an accelerant... makes it burn faster. but it doesn't burn alone. it's is non-flammable.

Err....so you're saying it's an accelerant that isn't flammable?? Wouldn't be a very good one :shakehea:

Oxygen and Nitrous Oxide are indeed flammable. All accelerants are flammable (that's what makes them accelerants). Flammable doesn't mean it just spontaneously combusts.

Originally posted by WarmPepsi
oxygen doesn't burn though. you can't pump pure oxygen into your engine and expect it to explode. the fuel does that.
Actually the fuel vapor (oxygen and fuel) explodes. There would be no explosion w/o the oxygen, but oxygen by itself would burn given a spark from the plug. It wouldn't explode...it's not an explosive. Flammable also doesn't mean explosive it means flammable.

#54 · (Edited)
ParadigmShifter said:
also, if the tank were to rupture, wouldnt that cause an explosion? cuz of the pressure or something like that. i failed physics.
It could, if it caused a spark. The explosion is caused by the fact that the air in the tank is already under pressure. The air would ignite and expand, putting tremendous pressure on the inside walls of the tank, causing it to explode. Oxygen by itself isn't explosive though.

G
#55 ·
coldfusion said:
Oxygen by itself isn't explosive though.
but it is corrosive tho. its the main reason why old people look so gnarly. remember that genetic experiment the swedes did? the guy who could survive on methane in an isolated methane tank? that guys was like 400 years old before he died, but looked 20. he commited suicide cuz he was so sexually frustrated (cuz no one else could survive a minute in the methane tank)

#56 ·
then i'll surely let you re-write the code for hauling this stuff around. the pro's that deal with various gasses all day long, and the federal government that requires the sticker sign on the front of any truck carrying this has to say "NON-FLAMMABLE"

also...... oxygen does not burn. if oxygen burned, i'd light a match and it'd all burn up. :shakehea: oxygen enables other fuel to burn ( be it gasoline, oil, or anything else ), but oxygen itself is not a fuel. do you understand what i mean?

#57 · (Edited)
Ugh, I don't know why you guys want to argue with WarmPepsi. This is seriously high school chemistry class stuff.

Oxygen is not a fuel. For combustion (which includes a small flame or a huge fiery explosion) to occur you need oxygen and fuel. It's basically a chemical reaction. Say you fill a room with pure oxygen, and light a match, the match will burn quite quickly, but will go out when there is no wood left to burn.

It's called stoichiometry. :rolleyes:

The ratios here are made up but it serves my purpose. If it takes 4 parts oxygen and 1 part fuel to completely burn and make, let's say 2 parts leftover waste,

4O + 1F -> 2W

and we have a room full of 5000 parts of oxygen and only have two parts of fuel,

5000O + 2F ->

the yield is.... 4W. Because fuel is the limiting factor here.

You can also imagine a burning pile of wood, our fuel. It's drawing the oxygen it needs from the air. Now, if we tip the balance the other way and limit the air, say by throwing a blanket on it, oxygen becomes the limiting factor - thus less fuel can combust, thus the fire can be smothered.

Combustion requires a set amount of oxygen and a set amount of fuel for a complete combustion. In the theoretical world, perfect combustion yields only water. In the real world, since the combustion process is incomplete, you get other stuff like carbon monoxide and sulphuric gases and what not (pollution). This is why, to reduce emissions, a car's ECU always tries to maintain a stoichiometric mixture of fuel and air, to minimize the nasty byproducts of unburned fuel in the atmosphere.

I hope that maybe this has helped clear things up as to the difference between something flammable (a fuel) and accelerants (containing oxygen). I have not seen F&F but if they have a nitrous bottle exploding keep in mind that 1) those bottles are at a very high pressure in which case a rupture is definitely an explosion but not a combustion and 2) movies like to do dramatic, but false, things for effect, like having audible explosions in space (where there is not any medium for sound waves to travel through). & I am sorry that if you had high school chemistry your teacher neglected to teach you anything about combustion. I'm not an expert at this but you hopefully get the jist of it.

-g

edit - deleted a stray word

#58 ·
ParadigmShifter said:
but it is corrosive tho. its the main reason why old people look so gnarly. remember that genetic experiment the swedes did? the guy who could survive on methane in an isolated methane tank? that guys was like 400 years old before he died, but looked 20. he commited suicide cuz he was so sexually frustrated (cuz no one else could survive a minute in the methane tank)
those swedes, i swear. down south in europe in the 1600s the renaissance is really getting going, you know, folks painting with perspective, dark ages over, blah blah blah, but the swedes, the swedes are genetically modifying men to survive 400 years on methane. ;)

-g

#61 ·
WarmPepsi said:
1. i never took chem. it's all just common sence and such.
Yeah, especially as the tank says "non-flammable"

2. i really like that idea with the avatar. az and i were doing something before like that with his sig and his car shot, but never thought of it to the level you used it. :thumbsup:
thanks, you are actually the first person to notice. i did some other ones too... http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85334

-g

#62 ·
I don't disagree with anyone in this argument (it isn't really an argument any more). But if you took just fuel, and lit it with a match - with no oxygen it wouldn't burn either. So then couldn't we say that gasolene isn't flammable either?

Technically, to "burn" something means to react it with oxygen. Its just a key ingredient in that process.

#63 ·
WarmPepsi said:
then i'll surely let you re-write the code for hauling this stuff around. the pro's that deal with various gasses all day long, and the federal government that requires the sticker sign on the front of any truck carrying this has to say "NON-FLAMMABLE"

also...... oxygen does not burn. if oxygen burned, i'd light a match and it'd all burn up. :shakehea: oxygen enables other fuel to burn ( be it gasoline, oil, or anything else ), but oxygen itself is not a fuel. do you understand what i mean?
I stand corrected...oxygen is indeed an accelerant.

Looking at the definitions of flammable and accelerant, flammable should be "able to be burned in the presence of oxygen.

#67 ·
WarmPepsi said:
yes, i thought about it, but it's a complex switch, it reverses the voltages when it's pushed opposite ways..... a simple 3 prong switch can't do that..
Damn, well maybe I can find something small at RadioShack.:firemad: I'll have to redo my switch plate no matter what. :firemad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.