Splitter and Canards - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Welding, Fabrication, & Tools
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Anointed_DC5 is on a distinguished road Anointed_DC5 is on a distinguished road
Splitter and Canards

Just thought I'd share my splitter build with everyone here. I sought out to make a splitter and canards for my dc5 as I plan to hit the track again after a long hiatus.

I started with trying to make canards...

There is probably an easier way to make a mold so I will be revisiting this soon lol.

Next up it was time to start on the splitter. I started out with some 1/2" ply
(which in retrospect might be too thin, or the wood I chose too flimsy). Traced the factory bumper then cut to shape.

Added a few coats of epoxy to seal the wood.

Just set the bumper on to get an idea of what it will look like.

I realized that the DC5 market did not have anything out there as an off the shelf piece to properly mount the splitter to the car so I set out to make my own. I wanted something similar to PCI/JDM Yard which would allow a quick install release so that's where I started.

I finally figured out a design that would work thanks to a setup Kazespec Engineering made back in the day. A lot of trial and error went into getting them right but I am happy with the outcome.

Mounted on the car

Then I decided to make my own canards and here is the outcome.

Here's a pic of the canards on my car.

IMAG0339 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr

Last edited by Anointed_DC5; 10-04-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Anointed_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
mazharracer
Mazharracer

mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
damn boss

Instagram: mazharracer
mazharracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazharracer View Post
damn boss

Thank you sir. This is only the beginning. I plan on making a complete one off widebody aero set up for my car. Project kicks off once Winter hits.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
mazharracer
Mazharracer

mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mazharracer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
[QUOTE=Anointed_DC5;41349450]

Instagram: mazharracer

Last edited by mazharracer; 10-05-2013 at 11:59 AM..
mazharracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
^don't trust this guy lol
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazharracer View Post
sounds good liked your page on fb and followed u on instagram
i m the guy who pmed u last week about getting one done for aspec lip
Ah yes. Let's keep any business talk out of here as I'm not a vendor I don't want to get banned lol. This thread is to share my work.

Lol Zack.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
dan_nguyen
Vietnamese Singer

dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Looks great man. I see Top One's site is back up and running but their splitters are for "show cars" only. Looking for something functional, I assume a front splitter that's worth its salt would have to be mounted the frame of the vehicle. What kind of materials would be ideal? I was thinking aluminum but the car is a daily, I don't think that would fly (in regards to a collision). Let me know if you can help me out. I was thinking about having a shop fab something up but I need some sort of direction to give them to run with it. We can always email since I don't wanna clutter your thead lol
Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Pmed
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

For those of you with instagram, I posted a few short demo vids of the dc5 quick releases in action. Check em out . http://instagram.com/p/fbF2ViPCpN/
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
210RSX

210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 210RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Do you have any of these brackets for sale? I'm not a metal fabricator in the least bit lol. That's definitely the route I want to go instead of just mounting to the bumper. I'm building my car for the track so I want something stronger and more secure.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
ksL
Simba =.=

ksL is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Nice, are you planning to take it to the track to test them out?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksL View Post
Nice, are you planning to take it to the track to test them out?
Definitely, but not until next spring. Winter is here so the car is going into hibernation and will stay in the shop for more product develoment. There are others with the brackets that I'm hoping will be able to hit the track before I do.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
ksL
Simba =.=

ksL is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Nice! I hope you got some brackets left next season. I have one more event this November.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Decided to fab up my own 280mm brackets for J's/Voltex wings.

IMAG1831 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr
Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Here a some Canards I'm working on for an FG3 owner.

IMG_20140207_114924 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
MajorLeague
Unpopular Opinion

MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more
MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more
Garage
Jesus, this thread is all win.
Dolphin Grey B6 S4 Avant - JHM Tune » JHM Intake Spacers » Magnaflow CB » Piggy DP's » EVOMS Intake » H&R Street Coilovers » 19x10 3SDM » H&R 32mm Front 22mm Rear Sway Bar » 034Motorsport Adjustable Control Arms » Relak Side Skirts » Cupra » Front & Rear Slotted Rotors »Clear Bra
MajorLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorLeague View Post
Jesus, this thread is all win.
Thank you!

Went a little crazy making splitters this morning

IMG_20140211_073521 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr

Gotta have that leading edge rolled for optimal airflow.

IMG_20140211_073855 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Custom 280mm Wingstands for J's/ Voltex gt wings have been anodized black!!

IMG_20140214_165420 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
MajorLeague
Unpopular Opinion

MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more
MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more MajorLeague is a super person....that needs to get out more
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anointed_DC5 View Post
Thank you!

Went a little crazy making splitters this morning

IMG_20140211_073521 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr

Gotta have that leading edge rolled for optimal airflow.

IMG_20140211_073855 by anointeddc5_13, on Flickr
How much do one of these weight? I can get my hands on pre-peg and tedlar. It is not cheap but very durable and light weight. Depending on the weight. I figured i might just make on out of wood. to save some money.
Dolphin Grey B6 S4 Avant - JHM Tune » JHM Intake Spacers » Magnaflow CB » Piggy DP's » EVOMS Intake » H&R Street Coilovers » 19x10 3SDM » H&R 32mm Front 22mm Rear Sway Bar » 034Motorsport Adjustable Control Arms » Relak Side Skirts » Cupra » Front & Rear Slotted Rotors »Clear Bra
Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
Anointed_DC5
Anointed

Quote:
How much do one of these weight? I can get my hands on pre-peg and tedlar. It is not cheap but very durable and light weight. Depending on the weight. I figured i might just make on out of wood. to save some money.
I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, obviously not as light as carbon but it's really not too bad. If Ican get it on a scale I'll let you know.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #21
blackndecker
Come at me bro!

blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
I'm assuming you meant Kevlar instead of Tedlar?

Pre-preg and Kevlar is widely available. Getting "your hands on it" isn't the problem. In order to use prepreg you need a mold to lay the fabric into, a vacuum bagging set up to hold the fabric tight to the mold, and a large auto clave (oven) to cure the whole assembly. Kevlar on the other hand requires special scissors ($80-100) just to cut the dry fabric and good luck trimming a Kevlar piece after its cured.

And regarding your durability comment, splitters are not meant to last months and years. These are throw away items because they get damaged frequently and constantly.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #22
MajorLeague
Unpopular Opinion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackndecker View Post
I'm assuming you meant Kevlar instead of Tedlar?

Pre-preg and Kevlar is widely available. Getting "your hands on it" isn't the problem. In order to use prepreg you need a mold to lay the fabric into, a vacuum bagging set up to hold the fabric tight to the mold, and a large auto clave (oven) to cure the whole assembly. Kevlar on the other hand requires special scissors ($80-100) just to cut the dry fabric and good luck trimming a Kevlar piece after its cured.

And regarding your durability comment, splitters are not meant to last months and years. These are throw away items because they get damaged frequently and constantly.
Yeah, you're right but the ones have are made of a honeycomb core between two layers of fiberglass phenolic pre-preg. I have already baked/pressed and trimmed the excess off the edges.

I agree with the comment on the durability but i don't see a problem using a material that is going to prolong the life of the splitter. Plus i'm sure these panels are lighter than using wood with epoxy coated on.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #23
blackndecker
Come at me bro!

blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackndecker is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Looks like you have a very nice set up and all the necessary tools at your disposal. How much weight is this able to support without flexing? What is your plan for attachment points?

I'd love to see your auto-clave if you don't mind sharing
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #24
MajorLeague
Unpopular Opinion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackndecker View Post
Looks like you have a very nice set up and all the necessary tools at your disposal. How much weight is this able to support without flexing? What is your plan for attachment points?

I'd love to see your auto-clave if you don't mind sharing
A 4ft panel can hold about 15lbs in the middle while beeing supported on either end. At the weight you can start to to hear the core crunching.

I'll going to use a dremel to cut a pockets to add some inserts in once i figure out where it is going to sit. I'll going to use similar brackets that Anointed_DC5 made, but i'll get a set from Top1 and mod them to work on my EP.

I made these panels with a multidaylight plattern press since they where just flat.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #25
Dad
Master Member

Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Quote:
Yeah, you're right but the ones have are made of a honeycomb core between two layers of fiberglass phenolic pre-preg. I have already baked/pressed and trimmed the excess off the edges.

I agree with the comment on the durability but i don't see a problem using a material that is going to prolong the life of the splitter. Plus i'm sure these panels are lighter than using wood with epoxy coated on.
That is going to be amazing!

Everyones Favorite Brit

My WTB Thread
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote