new to forum, and mass, and winter - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > REGIONAL RSX > United States RSX > North East
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
lgalarn

lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
new to forum, and mass, and winter

so I just moved up from florida about a year ago so I could get married (girls can't marry each other in the south).
Anyways when I was in florida I had an integra that I loved but sold it to facilitate the move. Now that we're established I recently bought an rsx type s that was bone stock. I want to start modifying but I have some concerns about mass laws concerning emissions and whatnot (exhaust header, no cat, loudness, etc). Not only that but holy potholes batman! I know the new cool thing is to be as low as possible and "hellaflush" but I'm not into all that, function>form for me. I want something that can give me a decent drop but needs to be able to take the abuse from these horrible roads as this will be my DD at least for a couple years. I've lurked on this forum for a couple months now and aside from some bolt ons I'm not gonna modify too heavy. I want it to look clean and maybe get to 200 - 250 whp. Somewhere in there. I also want to do as much of is as I can myself. Which means I need to rebuild my toolbox also bc that was sold in the move. In all fairness I did make my now wife get rid of half her clothes hahaha. (We only brought what we could pack in her Hyundai).

Anybody wanna give out some advice, because I'm thinking this is a horse of a different color from my integra...?
lgalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Extra Krispy
Former Mod-Still a God

Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
Welcome to crsx. I am in CT so I do am not sure on Mass laws but hopefully someone can chime in. In order to get your power goals a simple intake, race header, exhaust, and kpro tune should get you there. Good luck

]
Extra Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
lgalarn

lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lgalarn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yeah I figured simple bolt ons and a tune would do the trick. My biggest concerns are the coilovers, thinking mugen ss, and the race header undecided until I get some feedback... The emissions without a cat might be tricky. And without a garage or even driveway to work in removing my header to get a sticker every year might be a pain. And impossible until I get some tools haha.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Dad
Master Member

Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
I would just buy a simple header that would allow you to include your cat or an aftermarket one. Typically with emissions testing they are just testing the CO2 coming out of the exhaust and making sure no check engine lights are on etc.

Then they will probably do a visual inspection on the car to make sure everything is tip top. At least this is what they did in England and still do in a lot of places in the US.

As for Coilovers, the options are plentiful, just depends on what you want the car to do. Right now I'm onb Function and Form Type 1's and they ride really great, I have had them on my car for about a year and I have no complaints at all!

Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will be glad to help with anything

Everyones Favorite Brit

My WTB Thread
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
lgalarn

Yeah, the header will probably give me the most difficulty as I know the more airflow, the more c02 expelled. I really do want a race header bc even a high flow cat may give me emissions problems. I feel like having a cat defeats the whole purpose of a performance exhaust system. It would still be choked up from that one component. Or is that way out of bounds?

As for the suspension, I really just want something sturdy that will drop me a 1-2 inches and not be terrible after a couple years of driving on these awful roads. I mean it's like you can't go 30 seconds without hitting (or dodging) a pothole or a manhole cover that's sticking up, or sunken in, or a bump transitioning to a "repaired" part of the road, or my favorite is when they replace a sewer line or water main under the road and rip up just enough of the road to repair it and patch it up. It's like 20 yards of one side of the car just getting worked.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Dad
Master Member

Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
I'm not too sure on this aspect of it but I think you can put a cat after the race header, obviously just have to shorten the exhaust.

I actually live in Florida so I know the roads around here are really good. I think ultimately any coil over set up will ride well enough given the road situation, just please for the love of God do not buy Raceland

Everyones Favorite Brit

My WTB Thread
Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
lgalarn

God florida roads are like butter. I recently went back for a vacation and my wife and I drove about 45 minutes on the highway and we were both like "omg, not one pothole, or imperfection the whole way, wtf boston"

Anyways for suspension I was thinking about the mugen ss coilovers. I've seen some good things on the threads here. Not too much of a drop, not toooo bouncy, pretty stiff, etc.

And as for the race header with a cat, I've seen a couple different things on here where they've done that or something similar. I just don't want a cat at all. Like I said I feel like it just defeats the purpose of having an upgraded exhaust because it still just chokes it up. But I feel like it will be my only option unless I want to swap them out every time I have to go for an inspection. Ugh.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Dad
Master Member

Fuck the north!

Sounds like the best option for you would be to just keep your stock exhaust after you swap everything out and once a year swap it back in place and be fine. I know you can't right now and I'm in that same spot

Everyones Favorite Brit

My WTB Thread
Old 12-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
lgalarn

Yeah the north sucks for roads and emissions tests, but good for equality. So I'll take it lol.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Extra Krispy
Former Mod-Still a God

Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit Extra Krispy probably needs to buy a Wii Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I would just buy a simple header that would allow you to include your cat or an aftermarket one. Typically with emissions testing they are just testing the CO2 coming out of the exhaust and making sure no check engine lights are on etc.

Then they will probably do a visual inspection on the car to make sure everything is tip top. At least this is what they did in England and still do in a lot of places in the US.

As for Coilovers, the options are plentiful, just depends on what you want the car to do. Right now I'm onb Function and Form Type 1's and they ride really great, I have had them on my car for about a year and I have no complaints at all!

Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will be glad to help with anything
CT does visual inspections and thats what would get me.

OP you can prob get a high flow cat added to a shorty header or if you know a good shop have them weld it on to the header to eliminate issues with emission. My car passed with flying colors when it came to the sniffer

]
Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
lgalarn

^^^ is that what you did to pass?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Extra Krispy
Former Mod-Still a God

With my RSX I just put the stock header back on for emissions since they do a visual here. With my S60R I had a hi-flow cat welded onto the downpipe to make it legal. Really didnt effect performance much.

]
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
hhasheart
M30W

hhasheart is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
My aspec suspension was as soft as stock on nyc roads
hhasheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
automaticRSX
Original Owner

automaticRSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Mass law states that you can't raise or drop your car more than 2 inches from the factory ride height. So with that said all you have to do is raise the car when you get an inspection. I think it's better to go with a good shock and spring combo like the mugen ss and aspec kit, because you'll eventually get annoyed at the clunking(had tanabe sustec pro and now tein street advance). For the cat issue, if your lucky and find a station that don't do visual and just plug in the scanner, then k-pro will help with that issue(check engine light and set readiness). Join the MA chat and they'll probably give you some more tips. BTW I live in the north shore area of MA.
automaticRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
overlap king
Lick it or Flick it

overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with
I would go with a set of koni yellow struts and pair them with Ground Control coilover sleeves or a decent pair of springs. The konis are very good struts and should handle the rough roads fine. Plus they have a lifetime warranty... as do the GC sleeves if you were to go that route. as for the exhaust you may be able to gut the stock cat to pass the visual inspection and get the added performance you are looking for.

[SIGPIC]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/surfbig247/cp3_zpscxhn294t.png[/SIGPIC]
ThePremSocietyHotWhiteGFKrewHotTeaKrewTheGoodBlokeKrew
overlap king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlap king View Post
I would go with a set of koni yellow struts and pair them with Ground Control coilover sleeves or a decent pair of springs. The konis are very good struts and should handle the rough roads fine. Plus they have a lifetime warranty... as do the GC sleeves if you were to go that route. as for the exhaust you may be able to gut the stock cat to pass the visual inspection and get the added performance you are looking for.
Do not ever gut a cat That may have been common practice in the 90's but that is no longer the case. The turbulence caused by gutting the cat negates any increase in flow.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
overlap king
Lick it or Flick it

overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with
yeah I did a little research after I posted that. You are correct turpid. Do not listen to me OP

[SIGPIC]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/surfbig247/cp3_zpscxhn294t.png[/SIGPIC]
ThePremSocietyHotWhiteGFKrewHotTeaKrewTheGoodBlokeKrew
overlap king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlap king View Post
yeah I did a little research after I posted that. You are correct turpid. Do not listen to me OP
That's what forums are all about
Old 12-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
lgalarn

thanks for the advice!
I've done my searching in the forum which is why i'm leaning towards the mugen ss. Just wanted to get some feedback from other people living with the shitty road problem as I don't want to spend $1500 on coilovers to have them shit the bed in a year.
Yeah, wouldn't gut a cat, but definitely considering gutting my airbox and wrapping it in carbon fiber until I can decide on which route to go for an intake.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #20
lgalarn

*doing the spoon mod to the airbox but wrapping in cf.