Looking for upgrade from a Type-S - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Auto Talk
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #1
03TypeS4Jesus

03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Looking for upgrade from a Type-S

Hi guys, hopefully I'm in the right section, anyways my 03 Type s got totaled last night and I'm looking for a 4 door with a lot more torque. Either a V6 or a turbo 4 would do.

Anybody have recommendations? I'm pretty tall so head room would be a plus.

Just want more torque for city driving and something clean for some light modding.

Any help would be cool. Shooting for under 25k
03TypeS4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Evo
STi
Focus/Fiesta ST
Golf GTI/R

V8s out of the question?
G8 (auto only in your price range)
Charger/300C/Magnum(?) SRT8
Old 02-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The new civic hatchback (5-door) comes with 1.5 turbo, has good torque and is good on gas. You can reflash it with hondata later on...
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
G3min1
Curious Gooner

G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Your question is too vague. It all depends on what you want out of your next vehicle.

You say 4 doors with more torque. Well considering there are hundreds of sedans that have more torque than our RSX's that not enough to go by.

Do you want a new car or a used car? If used how old are you wanting to go? Luxury or no? Import or Domestic? Good aftermarket scene or not? So many more questions you have to look into.

EDIT: It sounds like you just want a slightly used WRX, Jetta, Focus St, or Evo.
Cons: Your car can blow up

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.
Cons: Your car can blow up
"Beating a Dead Horse Crew " Member #1

Last edited by G3min1; 02-13-2017 at 12:51 PM..
G3min1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:00 AM   #5
03TypeS4Jesus

03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 03TypeS4Jesus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
Your question is too vague. It all depends on what you want out of your next vehicle.

You say 4 doors with more torque. Well considering there are hundreds of sedans that have more torque than our RSX's that not enough to go by.

Do you want a new car or a used car? If used how old are you wanting to go? Luxury or no? Import or Domestic? Good aftermarket scene or not? So many more questions you have to look into.

EDIT: It sounds like you just want a slightly used WRX, Jetta, Focus St, or Evo.

I test drove a 2016 GTI but it was smaller in person and different than what I thought but the torque was pretty sweet.

The 2 cars I'm looking to next after doing some research is either a 2015 WRX or a 2013 Civic Si.

Not sure if the civic is gonna make me feel like my rsx or if they fixed the everyday driving low rpm torque.

I feel like the wrx naturally would sit up higher so I wouldn't have to go over a speed bump sideways and it obviously doesn't have a problem in the torque department low end which is great.

I definitely need 4 doors so I can give more people rides and have room for a family later on.

Prefer headroom in front, backup cam, bluetooth, comfy & heated seats. Everything else I don't mind about.

The stoplight city driving with my RSX just got old from day to day having to rev out to 4k or 5k just to beat an suv off the line you know? Plus it sucked cramming people in the back & if I hit a bump with them in the car it made me cringe lol
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 AM   #6
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Evo
STi
Focus/Fiesta ST
Golf GTI/R

V8s out of the question?
G8 (auto only in your price range)
Charger/300C/Magnum(?) SRT8
Thanks for your reply!

STi doesn't justify the gas mileage and the insurance enough since I won't be highly modifying it or bringing it to the track. I like the idea of the new engine WRX base better cause the gas mileage is decent for a daily and still has the power.

Ford hasn't ever been my favorite and I think they kinda look ugly. I've heard bad things about the turn radius and wheelspin on these. Would consider maybe the fiesta ST just cause I could get a BRAND new one & i like the back better than the focus.

I would probably enjoy a golf R but it's out of my budget unless I get an older one.

My stance on V8 is that it's not practical these days for a daily. Hogs gas and I prefer a lighter car not a 4k lb boat lol.

Only other car I really have seen that I wanted would be a G37 Sedan. But they are so rare to find a stick!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Ha, I was just about to suggest a G37! But I've never even been in one.

My 2 car friends and I have talked the 4-door torque sedan question at length. Our winners were (crap, I just realized they're all like V8's, lol sorry):
Chevy SS
Pontiac G8
BMW E39 M5
Lexus IS300
Lexus ISF (auto only)
*wildcard: RX-8 (won't help your backseat problem, haha)

This is besides an STi, etc. You could wait for the Kia Stinger to come out, but it won't be a torque monster.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
itskien
Doesn't Give A F*ck

itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with
Kia optima

Empty Tank Crew #1
Twitter: KiensAJauk
Instagram / Snapchat: ItsKien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianK View Post
kien you fat fuck, no set of wings can lift your cinna bun ass up to heaven anyway.
itskien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
lol. an impressive car was coming up to pass me the other day and I was like, "What is that?" It was a Kia Cadenza, haha
Old 03-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TypeS4Jesus View Post
The 2 cars I'm looking to next after doing some research is either a 2015 WRX or a 2013 Civic Si.
Between those two, I'd say the WRX, and it's not even close. Frankly I hate that generation of Civic Si in terms of its looks and its engine. It's not a bad engine, it's just not worthy of carrying an Si badge in my opinion. I test drove the current WRX when it first came out (maybe sometime in 2014, if I remember correctly), and I was surprised at how much better it was than the previous generation. It's a much better buy than the STI, which to me isn't worth the extra money.

Would you consider an Evo X GSR? I'd still recommend that over the current STI.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #11
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Between those two, I'd say the WRX, and it's not even close. Frankly I hate that generation of Civic Si in terms of its looks and its engine. It's not a bad engine, it's just not worthy of carrying an Si badge in my opinion. I test drove the current WRX when it first came out (maybe sometime in 2014, if I remember correctly), and I was surprised at how much better it was than the previous generation. It's a much better buy than the STI, which to me isn't worth the extra money.

Would you consider an Evo X GSR? I'd still recommend that over the current STI.
I did some more research and test driving. I would love to get a 2015-2017 WRX Limited but I realized I didn't want to pay for it at this point in my life.

Shooting for under 15k now. I would love to find an Evo but here in Las Vegas there isn't any in a 200 mile radius from me. I've found like 2 or 3 normal manual lancers that's it haha.

I found an 05 G35 with 71k miles for 10.5k yesterday and test drove it. Thing is a beast it's almost scary lol. The clutch was heavy as crap for a daily I think the previous owner put a different flywheel and clutch in it but it was quick.

I'm probably gonna try a fiesta st tomorrow. It's a 15' with like 40k miles for 14,999. Figure I can talk em down a bit since it's pretty high mileage. That's only if I enjoy it/fit in it, never been the biggest ford fan.

I also test drove a 12' Civic Si coupe yesterday and I literally hit my head on the roof with the seat all the way down so that's out of the question.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Would you consider anything German, like a 320i? You can get them certified pre-owned, and there are a few in your area at the BMW dealership that are under $20k. My older brother got one at the end of 2014 to replace his aging 2000 Civic EX coupe. He really likes it, and it clearly has much more grunt than his old car. I've driven it a bunch of times, and while it's not fast, it has enough hustle to get going. Gas mileage is pretty good too.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Would you consider anything German, like a 320i? You can get them certified pre-owned, and there are a few in your area at the BMW dealership that are under $20k. My older brother got one at the end of 2014 to replace his aging 2000 Civic EX coupe. He really likes it, and it clearly has much more grunt than his old car. I've driven it a bunch of times, and while it's not fast, it has enough hustle to get going. Gas mileage is pretty good too.
I checked and couldn't find anything close to me. I would def test drive one. I've heard after bout 80k miles there's expensive repairs on BMWs but they seem like really practical cars. Very hard to find manual transmission is my issue I think
Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
InZain08

InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I've got a 2004 e46 330ci, its got a straight 6 with a flat powerband. It just powers through and feels like its not going to stop.

Maybe consider getting a 4 door 330i? The ZHP package on those is awesome.
InZain08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
03TypeS4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
I've got a 2004 e46 330ci, its got a straight 6 with a flat powerband. It just powers through and feels like its not going to stop.

Maybe consider getting a 4 door 330i? The ZHP package on those is awesome.

Would love one!

That or an evo lol. So hard to find!!

What sites do you use to try and find?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #16
InZain08

InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx InZain08 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
e46fanatics.com, zhpmafia.com, bimmerforums.com, bimmerfest.com

Consider the fact that a 4 door BMW is a very luxurious yet sporty car that has plenty of track potential. You will have to invest a bit more in repairs/maintenance in the beginning depending on the condition of the used car but it will last. Mine has 163,xxx miles of track and spirited street driving and I've only had to replace the water pump, and fuel pump outside of other normal wear items like clutch, brakes, tires, etc.

The insurance benefit and lack of police attention over an evo almost makes it a no-brainer.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #17
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

Quote:
I checked and couldn't find anything close to me. I would def test drive one. I've heard after bout 80k miles there's expensive repairs on BMWs but they seem like really practical cars. Very hard to find manual transmission is my issue I think
Like I said, I checked online before I posted, and BMW of Las Vegas has a few... and I would assume with you being in Las Vegas, you're not too far. But at least if you go the CPO route, you basically get a 6-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. I think they were all automatics, and having driven my brother's 320i many times, it's actually a really good, smooth transmission. Like I said, my brother came from having owned a 2000 Civic EX from 2000-2014, and before that he drove a hand-me-down 1980 320i from 1994-2000... both were manuals, so he came from having only driven manuals for over 20 years, and he doesn't miss it at all, plus it gets the added bonus of better fuel economy than the manual.

Quote:
I love how smooth their old inline-sixes were and how nice they sounded. But the new turbo fours have really good punch down low, even in the 320i.

Quote:
Would love one!

That or an evo lol. So hard to find!!
Yeah, the Evos you'd actually want are going for good money. And it doesn't help that they're out of production now, so they only get rarer and rarer while aging.

I'd know, I have a bone stock Evo IX SE that I bought brand new over ten years ago. I get offers every now and then.

Quote:
e46fanatics.com, zhpmafia.com, bimmerforums.com, bimmerfest.com

Consider the fact that a 4 door BMW is a very luxurious yet sporty car that has plenty of track potential. You will have to invest a bit more in repairs/maintenance in the beginning depending on the condition of the used car but it will last. Mine has 163,xxx miles of track and spirited street driving and I've only had to replace the water pump, and fuel pump outside of other normal wear items like clutch, brakes, tires, etc.

The insurance benefit and lack of police attention over an evo almost makes it a no-brainer.
I remember the first autocross I went to had A LOT of 3-Series of varying generations, and not even just M3s either. Their drivers were having a blast.

But the whole insurance/police thing about Evos is a little exaggerated, especially these days. I've had two Evos over the course of the past eleven years, and I only got pulled over twice, and they were both my fault (in carpool lane by myself in 2006, then speeding in 2015). I never got hassled otherwise.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
InZain08

Quote:
...the whole insurance/police thing about Evos is a little exaggerated, especially these days. I've had two Evos over the course of the past eleven years, and I only got pulled over twice, and they were both my fault (in carpool lane by myself in 2006, then speeding in 2015). I never got hassled otherwise.
You may be right Deeez but I'm going to assume you are a mature driver who is aware of his surroundings since you drive expensive AWD Turbos. I've seen so many young kids, whose vehicles were likely bought by family, get pulled over for driving recklessly. They are one reason why these cars are suspect. As far as insurance goes, its got to be more expensive.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #19
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

Quote:
You may be right Deeez but I'm going to assume you are a mature driver who is aware of his surroundings since you drive expensive AWD Turbos. I've seen so many young kids, whose vehicles were likely bought by family, get pulled over for driving recklessly. They are one reason why these cars are suspect. As far as insurance goes, its got to be more expensive.

Just my opinion.
You're right, especially well into my 30s at this point, but I've had more than my fair share of bad judgment calls. I just got lucky most of the time, particularly during my 20s when I first got the car. (Let's just say that my first Evo only lasting for a year wasn't because I wanted the newer model so badly.)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #20
marko16
Master Member

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Another sub 10k rsx with 10k in mods.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #21
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

The OP is looking for a four-door, so unless those $10k in mods includes rear doors, it might not fit his criteria.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
marko16
Master Member

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
10k gets two mo do's bitches and ho's
Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #23
03TypeS4Jesus

I test drove a 2012 Audi 2.0T Quattro last night with 49k miles. It was 6 speed manual AWD.

I was... soo confused. It was one of the quietest engines full throttle. It had torque in every RPM of every gear. Also had more buttons and features than I needed lol.

It sounded perfect on paper. But driving it felt just barely more fun than an automatic and just wasn't worth the shifting IMO. Plus the gates sucked.

I'm leaning towards a Honda Accord Sport now. Almost the same engine as my old RSX just revs lower and has more room. They look pretty clean from 2013-2015 and have a fair amount of features. I just love the reliability of Honda and the clutch/gearboxes.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
marko16
Master Member

I like your choice. Great looks and bullet proof. The others just fall apart or the electrical gremlins from German cars make the Honda just better.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #25
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You should test drive the new civic hatchback sport model that way you can still stay in the family.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote