Harddrives keep powering down - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OFF TOPIC > Off Topic Forums > Computer Tech
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
F123456
Master Member

F123456 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Harddrives keep powering down

For some reason, 1 or more of my harddrives keeps powering down and then starting up again. I double checked my power settings to make sure I didn't purposely set my harddrives to turn off in order to save power and saw that it was disabled like it should be. I don't hear any clicking sounds coming from my harddrives either and can still access all the data. Do you guys have an idea of how to keep my harddrives from powering on/off? This problem happens pretty much every single day, many times a day. I hope it's just a psu issue.
F123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
enJOY120
I WILL DESTROY YOU!

enJOY120 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Most likely it is due to the hard drive failing. Powering down frequently is a tactic hard drives have been using for years to save themselves when they know that they are dying. I'd advise you to backup any data you have on the drive and then get it replaced. Depending on what brand it is, the drive may still be under warranty and if it is, you could RMA it to the manufacturer and get it replaced free. Seagate has a 5year warranty, and I believe Samsung does now as well. Maxtor is now part of Seagate, so they may have inherited Seagate's warranty. Hitachi and Western Digital have only a 3 year.
enJOY120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
F123456
Master Member

thanks for the info, but how likely is it for multiple harddrives to experience this problem at the same time?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
enJOY120
I WILL DESTROY YOU!

Unlikely. I could see maybe the chance of the same brand and model with close or exact manufacturing dates to maybe experience a similar rate of failure, but otherwise that would just plain be unlucky. Are all your drives behaving this way? How many do you have? What brand/models? Did you purchase them all around the same time? If so, when?

The power supply is not something I would completely rule out, but it wouldn't really make sense and you'd notice it first in other places besides your hard drives.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
F123456
Master Member

it's hard to figure out exactly which drives are powering on/off, but i don't think all of them are behaving this way; i'm pretty sure that 2 are though from what i hear. i have 4 drives, 2 seagates and 2 maxtors all purchased at different dates. i don't remember how old they all are, but let's assume at least 1 year. i'm running vista ultimate btw

basically i will hear the drivers power down, but when i try to access data from them, they will power back up again and everything will be normal.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
enJOY120
I WILL DESTROY YOU!

Oooooh...well then that's fine. I thought they were powering down and not letting you get data off? Well that's just a safety feature of the drives. Allows it to save power, plus saves it from damaging itself by pulling back the write head. You may be able to disable it via your power options in your control panel. In XP, it'd actually be in the display controls where the screen saver options are, in Vista it may have it's own panel in the control panel.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
F123456
Master Member

yah that's the thing: when this first starting happening, the first thing i checked were the power options. all of my harddrives are supposed to stay on all the time, but they're not. i just want to make sure that my harddrives are not going bad and to find out if there is a way to keep the harddrives from powering off
Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
PrivateDonut
M&M Avy Crew

PrivateDonut is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have the same issue (also Vista Ultimate here). One of my internal HD's powers off (or just disappers from My Computer) and I have to restart to be able to access it.

Strange thing is, its just one partition on a drive with about 3 partitions on it, but it seems to disappear from My Computer erratically. It doesn't happen often, but it's a hassle when it does.
PrivateDonut is offline   Reply With Quote