Positive battery terminal clamp replacement help - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
RedondoRed
Master Member

RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Positive battery terminal clamp replacement help

The positive battery terminal clamp on my 03' Type-S is loose around the post. I have it tightened all the way down but I can easily wiggle it off the post with my fingers. As a temporary fix I have a copper shim to make it tight but like I mentioned "temporary". I can buy the piece from Acura no problem, I'm just curious what all is involved, do I have to tap into the harness or what do I need to do in order to replace it?
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
RedondoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
nickflanders

nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nickflanders is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You should be able to buy a new end from the parts store. Very simple fix. Cut off the old clamp, then just bolt the new clamp on. Autozone sells them where they use two bolts to clamp to your original harness.
nickflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
RedondoRed
Master Member

RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RedondoRed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I don't want to buy anything other than OEM for my car but thanks for the advice about AutoZone.

I need what the box says "E-7"

Not the harness, just the red positive terminal cover, the clamp that goes around the positive post and the nut/bolt.

2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT

Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
angeltsc

angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angeltsc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
stick sometype of metal or a screw inside of the terminal between the post and the terminal. should be fine would recommend to replace though
angeltsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
RedondoRed
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeltsc View Post
stick sometype of metal or a screw inside of the terminal between the post and the terminal. should be fine would recommend to replace though
Did you not read my OP at all...?
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 12-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
sharpsicle
MECP Installer

sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If you want nothing but OEM, then go to an Acura dealership and talk to them. They'll probably tell you the same stuff, though. A battery clamp is a battery clamp, just replace it with a new one. There's nothing special about it. Hell, they probably get their replacement clamp from NAPA themselves
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
matrix22
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED

matrix22 has been a little shit in the past
push it all the way down the battery post. the post is wider at the base. then tighten
matrix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
RedondoRed
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix22 View Post
push it all the way down the battery post. the post is wider at the base. then tighten
This is true but not for me. Doesn't matter if the clamp is sticking an 1/8" off the top of the post or pushed all the way down, it still won't tighten without that temporary copper shim I put in there.

Anyways, I'm gunna go to Acura and see how much they want for the part.
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
dc99
Master Member

dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Mabye the post is worn down on the batt, It is lead
dc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
RedondoRed
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc99 View Post
Mabye the post is worn down on the batt, It is lead
It's a brand new Deka battery purchased 1.5 weeks ago.

Trust me, it's not the battery post. I will take a picture tomorrow and upload it so you can clearly see the clamp is fucked up from the previous owner not knowing how to use a socket or wrench.
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
dc99
Master Member

dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc99 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedondoRed View Post
It's a brand new Deka battery purchased 1.5 weeks ago.

Trust me, it's not the battery post. I will take a picture tomorrow and upload it so you can clearly see the clamp is fucked up from the previous owner not knowing how to use a socket or wrench.
Yea we all inherat other peoples screwups. Im not sure but you might could just look up the part on our sponsers site. If you leave him a message he will get back to you. They are acura oem and we get a discount
dc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
RedondoRed
Master Member

Alright, here you can see the copper shim I am using temporally until I can this fixed. I don't know how to take the old clamp off and put the new one on. Anyone here with some experience on this?

2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
sharpsicle
MECP Installer

sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Alright, here you can see the copper shim I am using temporally until I can this fixed. I don't know how to take the old clamp off and put the new one on. Anyone here with some experience on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickflanders View Post
Very simple fix. Cut off the old clamp, then just bolt the new clamp on.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
RedondoRed
Master Member

I went to Acura today, they don't sell just the positive clamp, you have to buy the entire harness which was like $146 or something outrageous like that.

I guess I'm forced to buy an aftermarket one :/
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
sharpsicle
MECP Installer

Quote:

I guess I'm forced to buy an aftermarket one :/
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. In fact, many aftermarket ones are thicker and stronger than the flimsy bendable OEM ones.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
RedondoRed
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. In fact, many aftermarket ones are thicker and stronger than the flimsy bendable OEM ones.
I guess you're right, I'll go pick one up at AutoZone and post a pic, thanks for the help guys.
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
packrat555

packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx packrat555 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
your fix isn't such a bad thing. Electrically there is no problem with what you have done and the cover hides the mess.

I think by cutting off and replacing the connector you might make it worse and have a weaker connection.

Surely there is somthing else wrong with your car that can justify attention.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
RedondoRed
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat555 View Post
your fix isn't such a bad thing. Electrically there is no problem with what you have done and the cover hides the mess.

I think by cutting off and replacing the connector you might make it worse and have a weaker connection.

Surely there is somthing else wrong with your car that can justify attention.
Yea that's the thing is that I like the red positive cover to hide the copper shim I used.
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #19
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
dude. you are overthinking this. get some large pliers. Remove the clamp from the post. Use the pliers to squeeze the clamp into a tighter "rest" position. Bend it out of round if necessary. Don't go all hulk on it though. Problem solved.

If you MUST replace the clamp, you crimp the back end of the clamp over the bare wire. So open up/slide off the old clamp from the bare wire and crimp the new one onto the bare wire. 5 min job.

Last edited by Reborn; 01-03-2013 at 03:30 AM..
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
ED8WolfDC5
Grrrr

ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ED8WolfDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Hey if your really looking for the oem positive clamp im sure you could locate one from a wrecked rsx at a junkyard or even possibly a civic might have the same connectors.
ED8WolfDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
RedondoRed
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
dude. you are overthinking this. get some large pliers. Remove the clamp from the post. Use the pliers to squeeze the clamp into a tighter "rest" position. Bend it out of round if necessary. Don't go all hulk on it though. Problem solved.

If you MUST replace the clamp, you crimp the back end of the clamp over the bare wire. So open up/slide off the old clamp from the bare wire and crimp the new one onto the bare wire. 5 min job.
Ok, I will try this, thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED8WolfDC5 View Post
Hey if your really looking for the oem positive clamp im sure you could locate one from a wrecked rsx at a junkyard or even possibly a civic might have the same connectors.
That's a good idea, if I have to replace it, that's where I'll start looking.
2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
no worries. don't waste your time hunting down an oem clamp. Electrical conduction is not going to change (unless you buy a gold clamp lmao) and any autozone style will work EXACTLY the same.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
RedondoRed
Master Member

Just an update to the original problem, thanks to Reborn's advice I was able to replace the + terminal clamp much easier than I had originally thought so thank you. Here are some pictures.

The bad clamp:

The old clamp off compared to the new and improved one:

Crimped part of the new clamp on:

The result, much better connection:

2004 Acura RSX Type-S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
CURRENT
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
Jay
likes to troubleshoot

Jay is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Sometimes the OEM copper clamp can stretch if it's overtightened. I think the simplest solution is a flat copper shim. The aftermarket solution now has two connections near the terminal that can go bad instead of one. At the very least, I would find some way to cover the new assembly so the battery doesn't blow if a wrench or something metal is dropped on the positive terminal.