SoHonda Garage's Circuit DC5 Build - Page 5 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Member Show-Off RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #101
black dc5
Master Member

black dc5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE View Post
I had no problems with Miatas until I started working for a team that maintains and runs 14 of them. I honestly hate them lol. No offense but from the electrical to the engine and transmission they're the poorest engineered cars I've ever dealt with.

Seems as though your dc5 could use some more work on setup. At limerock which caters To low hp cars a properly setup dc5 on r compounds is 1-2 seconds faster than a spec miata. That is on roughly a 60 sec lap.
Hmm, fair enough, though I can't say I've had the same experience. It could be true that the DC5 can be faster if not restricted by rules. On the course I compare the two on, my time with all season on the NA6 is 1:35.6, while an SM driver I spoke to said he was getting 1:33s on RA1s. I got it down to 1:34 in the NA on RE-11s, and the best I got on the DC5 was 1:34 on RT615Ks-- it's a small course and of course with more driving events under my belt cumulatively with the Miata, it's safe to say the loose nut has been tightened up a little bit since the days in the DC5. Two different beasts to drive, and IMO the DC5 takes a BETTER driver to extract the most from it (as well as setup of course). Simply put I am less fretful driving the Miata over the DC5 which seems to finicky tendencies rather than the progressive breakaway I find in the Miata. Given, I'm not using any special bushings in the arms or anything like that in either car. The 25hr enduro at Thunderhill a few weeks back had a Miata in E2, and a DC5 in E1. E1 is supposed to be the faster class, but the Miata has the fastest time out of all E classes, E0,1,2, etc.

Still I got love for the DC5, it just needs me to throw more money at it, which is one reason the Miata gets the attention-- it's just cheaper.
black dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #102
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yeah, I do agree that the Miata is a forgiving chassis and very easy to drive, but for me at least it is too dull to be exciting. Coming from an engineering background the way a car is engineered, and the interface between driver and machine vie suspension, steering, ergonomics and just the overall feeling of a chassis is more important to me than lap times. I find the Miatas to be very rickety and feel numb and mushy, but are definitely easy to bang around a course while in your comfort zone.

Anyway, enough about the Miata and more about DC5!

Mike took the interior harness home with him to work on stripping down while I kept on with disassembly at the shop. All of the unnecessary circuits and related wiring and plugs were removed. The plugs that needed to be retained had the un needed wires depinned.

Before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon23 View Post
wow this is amazing.....keep up the good work....I am actually boys with Dre (silver ep3) from Ct...Gonna have to make it out to one of the SHG meets this coming year
Thanks for checking in man, hopefully see you at the early spring invite only BBQ at my place? Date is still TBD

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

SHG_EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #103
recon23

recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks for checking in man, hopefully see you at the early spring invite only BBQ at my place? Date is still TBD[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan...Everytime Dre shoots me an invite to go with him I always seem to be busy but hopefully itll work out this time....are you the one tuning his vtec killer setup?
recon23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #104
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Thanks for checking in man, hopefully see you at the early spring invite only BBQ at my place? Date is still TBD

Sounds like a plan...Everytime Dre shoots me an invite to go with him I always seem to be busy but hopefully itll work out this time....are you the one tuning his vtec killer setup?[/QUOTE]

Mike is actually the one tuning but I was driving when we did his street tune, tearing up the streets of rhode island haha. Mike will also be tuning the race car. Were estimating 8-10 hrs on the dyno

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #105
recon23

recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recon23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
nice Dre actually suggested that I have Mike tune my car after I find a decent catback to run....Really would like to hit that 210 wheel goal I have.
recon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #106
Hasbro

Hasbro is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Another great thread, SHG.

- What did you use to remove the gooey stuff that holds the plastic sheeting to the interior sides? I keep getting that crap all over me!

- Will you need to treat the seam sealer prior to painting or just spray right over it?

- Will you make dash from aluminum and will you be making door inserts? Will you use scale drawings? hint, hint

- I imagine you will be restricted from changing the connecting points on the suspension or will you be changing any of them? If not, what about the EP?

Keep up the great work.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #107
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Quote:
nice Dre actually suggested that I have Mike tune my car after I find a decent catback to run....Really would like to hit that 210 wheel goal I have.
yeah he will definitely get you the most thorough tune possible whether it be street or dyno tune for pretty good pricing. Im also hoping for 210 eventually when I get around to putting my A2 together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Another great thread, SHG.

- What did you use to remove the gooey stuff that holds the plastic sheeting to the interior sides? I keep getting that crap all over me!

- Will you need to treat the seam sealer prior to painting or just spray right over it?

- Will you make dash from aluminum and will you be making door inserts? Will you use scale drawings? hint, hint

- I imagine you will be restricted from changing the connecting points on the suspension or will you be changing any of them? If not, what about the EP?

Keep up the great work.
To get that stuff off we used a plastic scraper to get the big stuff off, then the rest we got off with brakleen. The seam sealer will be primed and sealed separately before the etching primer/paint goes on the whole interior. The clean seam sealer (the yellow stuff) can be painted over, but alot of it has tar residue around the edges, which paint wont adhere to/cover very well.

The stock dash has to be retained, and the driver side door will be gutted for door bars. The passenger side door/window will remain intact with an X brace door bar. It will stay bare sheetmetal for now, maybe a carbon panel down the line if Im feeling underworked LOL.

Pickup points cant be changed, Other than front tophats are open. Ill just be using ride height to try and get the tie rods perpendicular to Sai angle.

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #108
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Hey guys... Sorry for the low pace of the thread right now but got some updates for ya...

Got a decent amount done last week spending some time on the car after work. First off the engine bay is pretty much stripped down. Steering rack was left for now for suspension modeling before we strip it the rest of the way down.

Also got the dash stripped down - I removed all the ducting under the dash except what is needed for the defroster. This makes room for the cage's dash bar. Removed the dash harness from the frame aswell and started stripping it of all the plugs and wiring that we wont be using. This will make things behind the dash much cleaner and simpler when running the aftermarket electronics etc.

Spent a little time brainstorming about how the cage and dash/dash bar will fit together

Most recently Mike and i spent some time on setting the ride height and test fitting some wheels from the S2000 we have at work that are sized similarly to the wheels we will be getting specifically for the DC5. This lets us look at fenderwell clearances, aswell as take dimensions for desired shock travel, droop, and shock body length. The fact that the car came with Buddy Club N+ made it much easier to find the dimensions we needed. (sorry for the cell phone pics)

We will be doing more suspension work next week - plotting out pickup points so we can start doing some geometry modeling on CAD. Stay tuned!

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #109
Xander
Stupid Long Manatees

Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though Xander is cool, not as cool as some though
You're from Mass? In like 2012-2013 want to help me map out what I want to do with my suspension?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #110
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
this is looking like a good build.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #111
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Another update! Theresa and I just got back from our trip to Ontario to pick up the base model roof skin (no moon roof). It was a pretty awesome trip, about 8 hours each way so we stayed in Niagra Falls for the night and went the rest of the way to the scrap yard in the morning.

Sunset driving through upstate NY

Shot of the mini space needle coming into Ontario

The falls all lit up

Then in the morning we headed further north to Plazek Auto Recyclers to get the roof. Very nice place with a HUGE inventory and good pricing :thumbup: Strapped it down to the roof of my winter beater and were on our way!

Here is a view of Lake Ontario coming back from Plazek

On the way back we stopped at the Falls again to hang out and grab some lunch. Took the opportunity to get some more photos

The beater had some mad tite downforce on the drive home :P

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #112
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
You're from Mass? In like 2012-2013 want to help me map out what I want to do with my suspension?
Happy to give advice and help to fellow enthusiasts anytime, just hit me up whenever

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #113
mike_dc5
type S

mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mike_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
deff subscribed.
mike_dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #114
DC5Hanz
Banned

DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Hanz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
damn this is legit!! in for updates
DC5Hanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #115
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Hey guys, dont lose faith this WILL get exciting I promise

Left my camera at home today so I wont be able to update till tomorrow, but Im planning on having the whole chassis bare by tomorrow afternoon and start getting it ready to put on the rotisserie for a power wash a scrub before i start on the cage.

Also just placed an order with our main sponsor (more on that this weekend ) as well as another important component of the suspension setup. Stay tuned!

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #116
KleenDC5
Master Member

KleenDC5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
keep it up

Injen-BuddyClub-DCSports-Spoon-D2-BFGoodrich
KleenDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #117
dapc

dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dapc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Sweet lokking RSX and EP
dapc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #118
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Hey guys, Mike ans I got the car the rest of the way stripped down yesterday. Its now a bare chassis ready to get power washed then cage work starts!

All the suspension and brakes will be getting powdercoat, just have to press the bushings and wheel bearings out, as well as strip down the calipers

More parts for powdercoat

And the Canadian immigrant roof skin!

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #119
SHG_James
Master Member

SHG_James is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #120
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Part 1 of a 2-part installment!

So the news we have been waiting to release for a few weeks now.... SHG has picked up Buddy Club Motorsport Equiptment as a main sponsor for the DC5! We will also be working closely with JMC Fab for the vinyl package on the car as well as the SHG apparel line due in February!

We got our first of 3 shipments of parts from Buddy Club USA last week including Racing Spec exhaust, Custom rate Racing Spec Dampers, P1 racing ball joints, lug nuts, oil cap, and radiator cap.

Ive also gotten all of the bushings pressed out of the arms, so as soon as we get a few more parts together they will go off to powdercoat

Mike and I spent Sunday fabricating rotisserie mounts. We used mounts for an S2000 that we had made last year at work and modified them to work on the DC5

More later, I stil have to upload photos from today!

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #121
Miss_k20z1
Banned

Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Miss_k20z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
me like :-)
Miss_k20z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #122
lilbabykenny

lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilbabykenny is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Sick!!!

PWP Type S CURRENT BUILD
lilbabykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #123
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

Part 2!

Got the car on the rotisserie today and started working on removing some surface rust under the car before I scrub and power wash the undercarriage.

I wire wheeled the trouble spots down to bare metal then hit them with etching primer to prevent flash rusting.

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #124
SA_DC5_NW
How You DOOIN

SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
nice progress and great to hear that your getting sum help from buddyclub. Keep it goin.
SA_DC5_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #125
I♥myDC5
Because Boobs.

I♥myDC5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Dope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by failwheeldrive View Post
Are you uncircumsized? If so, I wanna slip my dick in your foreskin and masturbate with it. ily
I♥myDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote