Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

04 type s supercharger-belt issues

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  AVaquero 
#1 · (Edited)

I bought a supercharged rsx with a broken alternator bracket (jr bracket), i replaced the brackets, installed a new belt, but now my belt is squeaking and glazing (on the top, not where teeth are), theres also a ridge building up on the belt, you can see it in the picture (thin line on top), outside of belt is sticky to the touch, I don't notice ir riding funny or anything, but I'm trying to hop on this before more damage happens. I'm down for any suggestions, i think its hitting something, but besides that i have no clue. When i took it apart my idler arm (one between superchrger and alternator) wasnt spinning very well. It was also touching metal.

See less See more
#9 ·
hey bro i recently had issues with this only my belts were shredding because of my high rpm on the s/c. i replaced the jr tensioner and it went away. the way it was described to me by Jose was the jr tensioner is design for minimal boost i want to say 5 psi most of us are running more so they (JR tensioner) tend to fail. i changed it out and my car is running awesome

GL update us on it when you fix it

#10 ·
hey has anyone done the switch? on what year rsx? any tips or suggestions?
I'm buying the autotensioner tomorrow. from what I've seen, you take out motor mounts, pull out the tensioner between the supercharger and alternator, install autotensioner and your good to go
and whats up with that bolt directions tell you to buy? if anyone has better instructions then the ones given, please hook me up with them, i feel like theirs are vague

#11 ·
only passenger mount needs to be removed. cant remember the exact size but they should be a 12.9grade bolt. pretty much just grind the nub off the auto tensioner and install it on the bracket. once you see the parts in front of you it will be easy to visualize how they go together.

#14 ·
Wow. So I buy the mercado bracket, get everything off my RSX. I get to the part where I attach my p/s pump to the bracket and realize I need the OEM autotensioner. My JR autotensioner is no good. So it's another 90$ I have to put down. Any other hidden surprises I have to worry about? All I have left to do is attach OEM auto tensioner, attach p/s bolt everything down. At least that's how it works in a perfect world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.