Can valve cover breather hose stay open? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
andezack

andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Can valve cover breather hose stay open?

So I’m wondering if it’s ok to Put on one of those small filters or just run it open. The tubing won’t fit..I’m just wondering if doing this will harm my engine in someway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1557883316572.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	549405  
andezack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It won't cause damage necessarily, but there won't be clean air to cycle blowby gasses out of the crank case. It can contaminate the oil (by my understanding) but that's easily remedied by more frequent oil changes.

An oil catch can in conjunction with a breather filter would be the proper way of doing it. Personally, I don't see the point other than engine bay bling. The amount of oil sucked into the intake is so minimal that you won't notice any difference in power.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yeah by running that open, that PCV breather is gonna suck unfiltered air into your crankcase. Now sure, it's not being combusted in any way but it is coming in direct contact with your engine oil and everything outside the cylinders.

If you pay for synthetic oil and good oil filters and air filters and so on, to me it would make sense to add this additional protection to your engine so you're filtering it at all entry points.

Name:	PCV breather.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	549407

For an RSX I think you need a 0.75" ID one, like:
https://www.kseriesparts.com/VIB-2164.html
https://www.kseriesparts.com/KN-62-1360.html

Old 05-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
andezack

andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yea I ordered one of those..I may sound stupid but when I turned on the car it was pushing air out of the hole not sucking in
andezack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I don't claim to fully understand it, but, the PCV loop is using that port as an intake during the conditions that incur blow-by, which is during WOT (at least). So during idle, yes, apparently the vacuum isn't present and thus there is air coming out, but that is not the path of the oil vapors (it's in through the port over by the alternator that runs to the intake manifold).
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
alonzo562

alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by andezack View Post
Yea I ordered one of those..I may sound stupid but when I turned on the car it was pushing air out of the hole not sucking in
Here's an idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190525_135529_1558817975012.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	549557  
alonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo562 View Post
Here's an idea.
Hey brother I am using the same velocity stack filter combo on sri. I left the bottom half of the Airbox in place as a heat shield, trimmed it in the front. I left the bottom feed connection on the Airbox to carry air into and around the filter.
Argonfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
alonzo562

alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonfree View Post
Quote:
Here's an idea.
Hey brother I am using the same velocity stack filter combo on sri. I left the bottom half of the Airbox in place as a heat shield, trimmed it in the front. I left the bottom feed connection on the Airbox to carry air into and around the filter.
That's not a bad idea. In my case I'm using a 4in intake pipe and Vibrant Performance Bellmouth Velocity Stack Aluminum 4" Inlet and Vibrant Performance Classic 7'' Inlet Air Filter. I'm also running a catch can. With all that there's not too much room left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190716_084149_1563292449906.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	549875   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_084029_1563292467715.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	549877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_084001_1563292487077.jpg
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	549879  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
That's not a bad idea. In my case I'm using a 4in intake pipe and Vibrant Performance Bellmouth Velocity Stack Aluminum 4" Inlet and Vibrant Performance Classic 7'' Inlet Air Filter. I'm also running a catch can. With all that there's not too much room left.
I was not planning on a SRI, I had a K-Tuned 3.5" velocity stack filter combo bought for a completely different design. Since the 02 PRB rubber inlet measured 3.5" I.D. I tried out and left the bottom oem Airbox (trimmed to allow fitment) and left the round connection attatchment point so a supply duct coming from past radiator can be used feed ram air. The upper radiator support can also be trimmed for more airflow. There are many spin-offs available to the fabricator. I used cardboard to show how an upperskirt can be made and mounted using lower oem Airbox existing threaded points. I am planning on trying to add 2.5" -- 3.75" piece of 3.5" I.D. pipe to current design.

I have 3" I.D. (0.25" wall thickness) Aluminum pipe and a AEM CAI. I have other options I plan to try after I finish my RBC port n polish, PRB port matched, finish my custom exhaust, and buy Kpro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190716_130152.jpg
Size:	765.5 KB
ID:	549881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_131336.jpg
Size:	805.8 KB
ID:	549883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_130312.jpg
Size:	620.1 KB
ID:	549885   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_125708.jpg
Size:	527.1 KB
ID:	549887  

Last edited by Argonfree; 07-16-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
Argonfree

3.5" velocity stack filter combos sound amazing compaired to cookie cutter standard sri and cai straw with filter design. IMO, most cai's are actually too long.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
alonzo562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonfree View Post
3.5" velocity stack filter combos sound amazing compaired to cookie cutter standard sri and cai straw with filter design. IMO, most cai's are actually too long.
I think your right about the off the shelf cai piping being too long. From my experience and just going based off of how the car feels, it responds well to short piping. I think the key is keeping the piping and the air filter as level as possible with the throttle body.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
Argonfree

Quote:
I think your right about the off the shelf cai piping being too long. From my experience and just going based off of how the car feels, it responds well to short piping. I think the key is keeping the piping and the air filter as level as possible with the throttle body.
Brother I agree with your experiences, mine are the same. Seems the main goal of cookiecutter cai's are get the filter put of the engine bay. Oem Honda intake track is about 1/2 that distance. Another weird outlook is oem honda prb and prc intake track right after TB transitions and equals 3.5" I.D. where it connects to the airbox. However, aftermarket intakes run 2.5", 2.75", and 3" I.D. The irony is Honda tuners and experimental R&D started showing a movement towards 3" x 3.5" custom intakes, now some guys are trying 3"x3.5"x4" set-ups. Lesson to be learned here is start tuning and R&D with Honda oem parts and go from there, not do away with them all together. The other lesson is there is no point buying a $300 cai anymore.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
Argonfree

Another view, our pleniums are small in comparison to others. At high rpm's, if there isnt enough air stored in the oem plenium there is less piping to the velocity stack I am using to fill it back up. To me keypoint is sri intake with ram air is king

Last edited by Argonfree; 07-16-2019 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #14
Argonfree

Back to the OP's original post. If you have a spare valvecover laying around notice the breather is isolated in it's own cavity inside the VC. There is a small vent into the rest of valvecover on the opposite side of the breather's positioning. So when I see VC's all drilled out with extra hoses coming off to a breather tank, I question did they tap into the isolated cavity? And is air correctly being drawn into the engine like Honda designed it?

You guys want me to post a pic of this cavity I speak of?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Sure! Yes, please, since most of us don't have one lying around, and especially since this thread is turning to gold real quick

I had lots of aspirations to explore ram air methods or at least feed an air box with velocity stack inside, etc., but then I found an Injen CAI for next to nothing on CL so I just had to go with it
Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #16
Argonfree

Valvecover breather cavity ( inward directional flow )

Opposite side of breather attatchment, the exit port is shaped with a 45 degree angle lip to mimic "venturi vacuum assistance" I am guessing. The additional 2 exit ports opposed from venturi port are there to allow more air in once velocity gets going.

After studying this more and more, it is not just so simple to drill holes in a valvecover, weld a thread-o-let on, and hook up hoses plumbed to a square breather box. Honda put the 45 degree venturi lip for a reason. Leading to if the thread-o-let does not enter into this cavity by ( piping ) with fillet welds at/on the VC & at least fillet welded @ the cavity wall, the newly added vent hoses may not work as planned. IMO, even if this is done correctly, I would want to add an in-line vaccum block b/t breather tank and valvecover, that is venturi assisted.

If someone feels I am overthinking this or wrong please correct me. Still I would ask them did they know the valvecover cavity exists and how can they prove just by adding breather hoses and breather tank set-up functions properly. I would rather follow Honda's footsteps and add on from there.

Name:	20190717_183146.jpg
Size:	771.3 KB
ID:	549889

Name:	20190717_183201.jpg
Size:	632.1 KB
ID:	549891

Name:	20190717_183209.jpg
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	549893

Name:	20190717_183219.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	578.4 KB
ID:	549895

Last edited by Argonfree; 07-17-2019 at 06:13 PM..
Old 07-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
Argonfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
Sure! Yes, please, since most of us don't have one lying around, and especially since this thread is turning to gold real quick

I had lots of aspirations to explore ram air methods or at least feed an air box with velocity stack inside, etc., but then I found an Injen CAI for next to nothing on CL so I just had to go with it
I have a AEM cai and then I tried out sri, I would rather have a 3.5" velocity stack sri filter combo. I am still fabricating ram-air airbox.