K20/k24 swap question - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > K-Series Swaps
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
JackG

JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
K20/k24 swap question

Hi I’m new on here and I own a 2004 Rsx type S it’s also my first car. Long story short a month after buying the car the engine blew after taking it to a shop for an oil change. I never got to know why it blew but I took the opportunity to change things up so I bought a K24a2 of a tsx. The car worked like a dream for about 3 months but then I got a knock. Now this time it was completely my fault because oil could of been higher. The car was never tuned. Now the real question comes in, I’m buying another k24a2 from another tsx but I’m wondering if there’s anything I have to do after I drop the engine in. I’ve heard that I needed something called kpro, I’ve also heard it needs a tune and I’ve also heard it’s fine just the way it is. I just need a little guidance on what to do after, before I blow another low miles engine and scrap the whole car. The only mods besides the engine swap is a cold air intake, and it’s straight piped.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Kpro
You never do a swap without an engine management system. That should be common sense, I don’t understand why anyone would think a stock ECU can safely run a different engine to begin with.

Do some research before you make any further decisions on your car. This forum is a gold mine of information. 9/10 times, any question you are going to post on here will already have an answer in a previous thread.
mfarmakas17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
JackG

JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JackG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Ok that’s something no one ever told me the first time I swapped the engine. It also doesn’t help that I’m new to this car stuff😅 Now that I know I’ve been looking to get Kpro but does it matter which version I get? And after I acquire Kpro I need to get it to a tuner, I now understand that but could I daily drive the car meanwhile? Not abusing it or anything but just to get around while I get Kpro and fine a tuner near me.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
pandimus

pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG View Post
Ok thatís something no one ever told me the first time I swapped the engine. It also doesnít help that Iím new to this car stuff😅 Now that I know Iíve been looking to get Kpro but does it matter which version I get? And after I acquire Kpro I need to get it to a tuner, I now understand that but could I daily drive the car meanwhile? Not abusing it or anything but just to get around while I get Kpro and fine a tuner near me.
Any version of kpro will work. If you dont buy an old ecu with kpro already, you will get 4.0 (i/e sending in your old ecu to hondata).

You can daily drive with a k24 tune on kpro. But its not recommended to do too much driving. you will get shitty mileage etc. I only drove mine to the tuner.
pandimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Don't get tuned until you're done modifying, or you're just going to pay to get tuned again. Just run one of the calibrations that come with Kpro. There's at least 3, stock being one of them.

^that isn't necessarily correct. It's completely safe to drive as much as you want on those basemaps. I ran a reflash for at least a year before I got tuned, and I wasn't easy on her in the slightest. Difference in fuel economy shouldn't be that noticeable.

You can baby the car until Kpro, but again, you're running the risk of blowing your motor. You've already done it once, why allow the possibility of doing it again? or just get another k20a2.

Last edited by mfarmakas17; 09-07-2019 at 09:09 PM..
Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
JackG

So since this thing is almost stock I should be fine running one of the stock maps from Kpro. A tuner won’t be necessary since I don’t really have much mods yet. When it comes to fuel economy I don’t drive much so that doesn’t bother me. Alright I think I’m starting to understand the mistakes I did before and what I have to do now. Is there anything else that I should know before I pull the trigger one last time on this rsx?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
mfarmakas17

As long as that straight piped exhaust doesn't include a race header, then yes the stock k24a2 calibration will work fine. If I were you, I'd still get a tune when you have the money to burn. There's still power left on the table with stock calibrations.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
pandimus

pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pandimus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG View Post
So since this thing is almost stock I should be fine running one of the stock maps from Kpro. A tuner wonít be necessary since I donít really have much mods yet. When it comes to fuel economy I donít drive much so that doesnít bother me. Alright I think Iím starting to understand the mistakes I did before and what I have to do now. Is there anything else that I should know before I pull the trigger one last time on this rsx?
you should still get a tune. Intake and exhaust throws stuff off. a tune is about 150-200 bucks. Its better to make sure that everything is running tip top considering the small cost
Old 09-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
mfarmakas17

I/E mods are well within the ECU’s limits when it comes to making corrections, some people even get away with I/H/E. The motor will run in “tip top shape” with a factory calibration as long as it’s mechanically sound. They’re tuned from the factory to operate under any condition. The tune will provide more power, but that’s it.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
1988holloway

1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 1988holloway is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Iím doing a full k24a2 swap in my rsx and almost finished. The only thing Iím having trouble with is figuring out this sensor I have on passenger side of the fuel rail that has two hoses coming off it. And also figuring out the rest of the piping. I will take some pics in a few but I havenít seen any threads with this issues. Could be that I got the car with no engine In it and trying to piece everything together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1988holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
pandimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988holloway View Post
Iím doing a full k24a2 swap in my rsx and almost finished. The only thing Iím having trouble with is figuring out this sensor I have on passenger side of the fuel rail that has two hoses coming off it. And also figuring out the rest of the piping. I will take some pics in a few but I havenít seen any threads with this issues. Could be that I got the car with no engine In it and trying to piece everything together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you using the rsx wiring harness?? There might be an additional sensor on that engine. you definitly need to take a picture. I know on that side of the engine there is two cam sensors, and a temp sensor.