Slight pulsing lights while idle? (Alt) - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-11-2019, 03:09 AM   #1
nhbp.rsx

nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Slight pulsing lights while idle? (Alt)

This might have been a thing that ive had for a while but i started to notice my headlights, taillights and some of the dash light have a very slight flicker or pulsing going on..

Brought it to my guy at the shop and he said that batter was fine, i think he either said 12v or 14. But now as for the alternator, i think thats the problem. Theres been some /junk thats kinda built up on it. Radio and all electical accessoires work & have never cut out on me.

Only thing i do notice is while idle or parked up, engine running, if inwere to wind up both windows i notice the headlights and dash lights slighty dim (wouldnt assuming that winding both windows up could use THAT much power) and the RPM drops alightly as well

Will replacing the ALT fix the pulsing? I dont think it would be a hard job to do myself, maybe 2-3 bolts, and the wire/harness right? (Dealing with the belt will suck but its not to bad)

Any help would help. Long ass post for something hat might be super simple
nhbp.rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Check your grounds for corrosion, and your battery terminals. What you're describing is common amongst Hondas. I fixed mine by cleaning the contact points for the grounds, and adding additional ones (also, it's JDM as fuck). In the thread below, homie did replace his alternator and it fixed his problem (second to last post), but that's a lot of money just to fix pulsing or flickering lights.

https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1261091
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
xDC5

xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbp.rsx View Post
This might have been a thing that ive had for a while but i started to notice my headlights, taillights and some of the dash light have a very slight flicker or pulsing going on..

Brought it to my guy at the shop and he said that batter was fine, i think he either said 12v or 14. But now as for the alternator, i think thats the problem. Theres been some /junk thats kinda built up on it. Radio and all electical accessoires work & have never cut out on me.

Only thing i do notice is while idle or parked up, engine running, if inwere to wind up both windows i notice the headlights and dash lights slighty dim (wouldnt assuming that winding both windows up could use THAT much power) and the RPM drops alightly as well

Will replacing the ALT fix the pulsing? I dont think it would be a hard job to do myself, maybe 2-3 bolts, and the wire/harness right? (Dealing with the belt will suck but its not to bad)

Any help would help. Long ass post for something hat might be super simple
I have the same issue, I have another post on here in the problems and solutions. It started as slowly flickering lightly, to actually turning lights off, and eventually the whole car started "hiccuping" and all electronics shut off at the same time, but they came right back just a second later.
I tested the whole system with a good tester. (Not knocking the shop you took it to, but some testers only tell you simple stuff like voltages, but not cranking amps).
My battery was testing fine in the voltage department, but the CCA were down to 120 from 650......so the battery was shot but it was still holding a high voltage. I tested the starter and it was fine (i just replaced it).
I tested the alternator and it was charging just fine, BUT it had excessive ripple.....meaning the diodes are starting to go out. So it was creating a charge but it would dip here and there causing the hiccups.
Try having it tested with a good tester if you know anyone who has one.
I replaced the battery and it got SO much better, but I'm currently waiting on the Denso alt to come in.
xDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
marko16
Master Member

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Check the running voltage and grounds. Could be the voltage regulator inside the alt as well.