Turbo *Chat* Crank the Boost & Turn'er Loose - Page 41 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Turbo RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #1001
02s2knick
Master Member

02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
So I'm selling my STI and I bought myself a 1991 Nissan Skyline GTR.... Life is good again
Did you ever get the sti going?
99 Camry - (totaled) plate&6 screws in my forearm
02Rsx-s -- sold!
02s2knick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #1002
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02s2knick View Post
Did you ever get the sti going?
As of this moment, no. After IAG diagnosed it with low compression on two cylinders they took responsibility and tore the motor back down and rebuilt it(at no charge to me). I told them just to keep the car until the tuner comes back into town on August 23rd rather than have me keep making the 1.5 hour drive out there. By the time I get it back it will have been 1 year since I spun a rod bearing on the stock motor, I'll have missed 15+ events and sunk $12K into a motor that they could never get right. I will never own another Subaru.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #1003
02s2knick
Master Member

02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
As of this moment, no. After IAG diagnosed it with low compression on two cylinders they took responsibility and tore the motor back down and rebuilt it(at no charge to me). I told them just to keep the car until the tuner comes back into town on August 23rd rather than have me keep making the 1.5 hour drive out there. By the time I get it back it will have been 1 year since I spun a rod bearing on the stock motor, I'll have missed 15+ events and sunk $12K into a motor that they could never get right. I will never own another Subaru.
Your not the first person ive talked with that has had issues keeping a subie together. They sound cool and look the part. But the reliability of the boxer engine just seems to be very poor once you start adding power. One of the shops near me, fastech in knoxville, has a subaru in the mid 9s in the 1/4 mile. He always seems to struggle to keep a engine together. The first year he broke into the 9s with full interior i believe a cylinder wall blew out or something crazy.
02Rsx-s -- sold!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #1004
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Your not the first person ive talked with that has had issues keeping a subie together. They sound cool and look the part. But the reliability of the boxer engine just seems to be very poor once you start adding power. One of the shops near me, fastech in knoxville, has a subaru in the mid 9s in the 1/4 mile. He always seems to struggle to keep a engine together. The first year he broke into the 9s with full interior i believe a cylinder wall blew out or something crazy.
Yea they are just not well designed motors. They have been in use since 1989 with no major revisions other than the addition of AVCS first on the intake cam and then on both cams. Blow by is a problem, ringlands are a problem, head gaskets become a problem once you crack open the OEM motor, bearings are a problem from the factory. It's just not an efficient motor, it was originally designed to be an econobox motor that was adapted to be a race motor. The GTR on the otherhand is the exact opposite, the chassis and motor were designed as a race program and then adapted to the street.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #1005
02s2knick
Master Member

Quote:
Yea they are just not well designed motors. They have been in use since 1989 with no major revisions other than the addition of AVCS first on the intake cam and then on both cams. Blow by is a problem, ringlands are a problem, head gaskets become a problem once you crack open the OEM motor, bearings are a problem from the factory. It's just not an efficient motor, it was originally designed to be an econobox motor that was adapted to be a race motor. The GTR on the otherhand is the exact opposite, the chassis and motor were designed as a race program and then adapted to the street.
Whats the plans for the GTR?
02Rsx-s -- sold!
Old 08-27-2019, 11:58 PM   #1006
Breemeyli

Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Breemeyli is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks for the help, friends.
Breemeyli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #1007
marko16
Master Member

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
nice!

Ive been doing a LOT of reading past couple of days on fuel pickup. I assume you ditched the plastic cage?
The recommendations from others was to keep the cage and have the return go into the cage and don't knock holes in it
Old 08-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #1008
02s2knick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
Quote:
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/fistbump.gif[/IMG] nice!

Ive been doing a LOT of reading past couple of days on fuel pickup. I assume you ditched the plastic cage?
The recommendations from others was to keep the cage and have the return go into the cage and don't knock holes in it <a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/shrug03.gif" border="0" alt="" title="I Don't Know" ></a>
Im not going to be running a intake fuel pump. So the cage is going to he worthless unless I fabed a pickup inside the cage for the external pump.
02Rsx-s -- sold!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #1009
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Quote:
Whats the plans for the GTR?
Get it on the track and drive the piss out of it. I’ve already deleted evap and abs, installed more sensors for the Haltech to monitor, wideband o2, CANguage and Racepak display dash, Feal 441+ RR coilovers, double din head unit and replaced all fluids. Ive already got a set of R33 brembos to go on but I need to order some new rotors and they’re like $1200/set.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #1010
02s2knick
Master Member

Quote:
Get it on the track and drive the piss out of it. Iíve already deleted evap and abs, installed more sensors for the Haltech to monitor, wideband o2, CANguage and Racepak display dash, Feal 441+ RR coilovers, double din head unit and replaced all fluids. Ive already got a set of R33 brembos to go on but I need to order some new rotors and theyíre like $1200/set.
Got any pictures? Love me some GTRs. Would love to have one, but only way i could get one would be a 4door and not even sure if they ever built one of those in a GTR.
02Rsx-s -- sold!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #1011
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Quote:
Got any pictures? Love me some GTRs. Would love to have one, but only way i could get one would be a 4door and not even sure if they ever built one of those in a GTR.
This is how I got her, the 4WD wheel gaps are gone and the engine bay and interior look 10x better right now. I'll post some of those photos as I finish reinstallling everything.

They never made a 4dr GTR but it's not to bad to buy a 4DR GTS-4 and install the GTR fenders and RB26.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #1012
Hoser

Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
hey do you boys mind giving me some guidance on where i should go for my next turbo? Currently have a gt3071r that is tapping out on me. Making 442 whp/308wtq at 15.4 psi. Tuner was saying that it was falling off at the top end. It's older now so im in the market for a new one. Ive been back and forth between the gen 2 gtx3076r .82ar and the gen 2 gtx3576r .82 ar. Car is for the track but most likely sees spirited driving with buddies.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #1013
02s2knick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
hey do you boys mind giving me some guidance on where i should go for my next turbo? Currently have a gt3071r that is tapping out on me. Making 442 whp/308wtq at 15.4 psi. Tuner was saying that it was falling off at the top end. It's older now so im in the market for a new one. Ive been back and forth between the gen 2 gtx3076r .82ar and the gen 2 gtx3576r .82 ar. Car is for the track but most likely sees spirited driving with buddies.
im not overly familiar with the garrets. and most everyone in here has played with precision and EFR borg warners. What did the tuner recommend for turbo size?
02Rsx-s -- sold!
Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #1014
Hoser

Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hoser is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Quote:
im not overly familiar with the garrets. and most everyone in here has played with precision and EFR borg warners. What did the tuner recommend for turbo size?
He hasn’t given me any insight. I’ve just been talking to full race and they recommended the gtx3076, gtx3576, and the black series efr 8474.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #1015
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Quote:
What are your goals? How do you intend to use the car? What supporting mods do you have?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #1016
Hoser

My goals are to be in the 500-550 whp range. The car will be seeing some road racing but right now just spirited driving really. I have a fully built trans with Ppg 1-4 and wavetrac lsd. Stock motor for now
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #1017
Hoser

Quote:
Quote:
What are your goals? How do you intend to use the car? What supporting mods do you have?
My goals are to be in the 500-550 whp range. The car will be seeing some road racing but right now just spirited driving. I have a fully built trans with Ppg 1-4 and wavetrac lsd. Return fuel system with 1000cc injectors and DW 65c fuel pump.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #1018
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

If you can afford an EFR turbo or one of the new G series turbos I would recommend those first. If those are out of your price range then I would say the GTX3076R as that will put you at your goal when pushing that turbo just about as far as it can go.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #1019
kracker
Still tuning....

kracker is a name not to mess with
kracker is a name not to mess with kracker is a name not to mess with kracker is a name not to mess with
Borgwarner. 362 .82 a/r. T3. Or something along those lines.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #1020
Hoser

Quote:
If you can afford an EFR turbo or one of the new G series turbos I would recommend those first. If those are out of your price range then I would say the GTX3076R as that will put you at your goal when pushing that turbo just about as far as it can go.
The only issue that fullrace said with the G series is the limited ar housings. I don’t really want to have to buy a new manifold right now but who knows lol. As for the EFR turbos, they seem to be super popular right now. Can you buy a block off plate for the boost solenoid? Also just from some light reading, it seems that people have been saying the gtx3576 is a more efficient turbo and might be a better route than the gtx 3076
Old 09-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #1021
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Quote:
The only issue that fullrace said with the G series is the limited ar housings. I donít really want to have to buy a new manifold right now but who knows lol. As for the EFR turbos, they seem to be super popular right now. Can you buy a block off plate for the boost solenoid? Also just from some light reading, it seems that people have been saying the gtx3576 is a more efficient turbo and might be a better route than the gtx 3076

That is the only real issue with the G series turbos but if you only want 500-550 it really shouldn't stop you from achieving your goals. As for the EFR turbos you can block off the blow off valve and run them externally gated.

I run a GTX3076R on my STI and make 28 psi and 475whp by 4300 RPM and it holds all the way to 7500 RPM. It's a great little turbo and I usually see them top out around 550whp on ethanol. I don't have any firsthand experience with the GTX35 as it always seemed to big for my applications as I don't care for high dyno numbers as much as I do responsiveness.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #1022
Hoser

Quote:
Quote:
The only issue that fullrace said with the G series is the limited ar housings. I don’t really want to have to buy a new manifold right now but who knows lol. As for the EFR turbos, they seem to be super popular right now. Can you buy a block off plate for the boost solenoid? Also just from some light reading, it seems that people have been saying the gtx3576 is a more efficient turbo and might be a better route than the gtx 3076

That is the only real issue with the G series turbos but if you only want 500-550 it really shouldn't stop you from achieving your goals. As for the EFR turbos you can block off the blow off valve and run them externally gated.

I run a GTX3076R on my STI and make 28 psi and 475whp by 4300 RPM and it holds all the way to 7500 RPM. It's a great little turbo and I usually see them top out around 550whp on ethanol. I don't have any firsthand experience with the GTX35 as it always seemed to big for my applications as I don't care for high dyno numbers as much as I do responsiveness.
I’m leaning really towards going the G series route. Their efficiency over the gtx line is incredible. Fullrace can get me the g25-660 .92 ar in a t3 or I can get a guy locally to re do my manifold adapter to a v band and grab a g30-660. So many damn options lol.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #1023
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

I'd go the G30-660 route personally.
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #1024
Hoser

Quote:
I'd go the G30-660 route personally.
That’s what I’m thinking to. I’ve also been talking real street and they said to look at the gtx3582r. I found a pic of my dyno graph on the gt3071 (it’s not the best pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6F5F840-B44D-422F-8BEA-780B691DC827_1568738789757.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	999.6 KB
ID:	550411  
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #1025
b005t3drsx
S372

b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
Borgwarner. 362 .82 a/r. T3. Or something along those lines.
hey what you up to these days? feel like making a few extra bucks?
--Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,"Wow ---- What a ride!!!"--
b005t3drsx is offline   Reply With Quote