2019 New California Exhaust Law AB1824 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
hylander

hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
2019 New California Exhaust Law AB1824

California has been hit once again with a new law regarding exhaust modifications. This time, however, there are no longer any fix it tickets without a fine. That is now long gone! It is a flat $1000 fine. The law is so vague and enforcement of it has yet to be determined. I will cut/paste what I found on another website that gets to the point of it. Bottom line though, this really sucks. I guess I have 3 options: go back to stock exhaust, which is not an option. Or, I can put on a whole new complete a/m catback system that is quieter. Or, I can get a larger resonator attached to my current catback system. Or, a 4th option would be to purchase a universal a/m silencer of some sort.

I really love my Magnaflow set up. It has a really great sound, however, my family and friends think it is moderately loud. So, I will have to do something as to avoid a $1000 hit. Anyways, here is the cut/paste info from another website:

As of this writing, if you’re pulled over and cited for a modified exhaust that is too loud, it is an automatic $1000 fine and is no longer written as a “fix it” ticket. Previously, the citation was issued as “correctable”, or more commonly referred to as a “fix-it ticket”, meaning the offending party could have the exhaust modified to meet the 95-decibel limit. Upon having the exhaust brought within the legal threshold, the fine would then have been waived.

That is no longer the case. California Assembly Bill AB 1824 changed the wording of the exhaust law specifically as follows:

“(4) Existing law provides that whenever any person is arrested for certain offenses, including, among other things, an infraction involving vehicle equipment, the arresting officer is required to permit the arrested person to execute a notice, prepared by the officer in triplicate, containing a promise to correct the violation and to deliver proof of correction to the issuing agency, unless the arresting officer finds that a disqualifying condition exists.

Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

This bill would include, among those conditions that are disqualifying, a violation of the above-described requirements related to mufflers and exhaust systems.”

That last line is the important one. To put it into plain English, if you look at the last line of the first paragraph, it says a motorist can make the necessary changes to bring their vehicle within the law “unless the arresting officer finds that a disqualifying condition exists”. The last line of the bill declares offenses related to modified exhaust are automatically considered “disqualifying”. Buttoning this all up as succinctly as possible: if your exhaust is found to be modified, you will be fined $1000. Period.
hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
hylander

hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Speaking of exhaust silencers, does anyone have any recommendations as to what would lower my db level a bit and still sound good ?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

dustyboner is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i don't know how anyone could stand living in cali. They don't like modded car and the don't like guns. what a bunch of pussys

I went to huntington beach once in my eclipse. its louder than fuck since i don't have to worry about emissions bullshit. there was some dude in a old corvette or some thing like that. he got all hurt because you couldn't even hear is car over mine.

On my RSX I only have a turbo to muffle my exhaust, the down pipe dumps right under the shifter. I don't think i they could even give me a ticket for my car since i don't live there, could they?
RSX fog light install guide

watch him play with his meat
dustyboner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The new limit is 95 decibels, and I read somewhere that the Magnaflow was around 91. Can't remember where I saw that unfortunately. If you're pulled over for it though, they need to have a decibel mic to prove that it's even over the legal limit.

I have the magnaflow as well, but I don't think getting a silencer is the solution. It'll restrict the exhaust flow. I'm thinking a longer resonator, larger muffler, or even an oval shaped muffler would be better.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
dc5luis
Master N00b Member

dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboner View Post
i don't know how anyone could stand living in cali. They don't like modded car and the don't like guns. what a bunch of pussys

I went to huntington beach once in my eclipse. its louder than fuck since i don't have to worry about emissions bullshit. there was some dude in a old corvette or some thing like that. he got all hurt because you couldn't even hear is car over mine.

On my RSX I only have a turbo to muffle my exhaust, the down pipe dumps right under the shifter. I don't think i they could even give me a ticket for my car since i don't live there, could they?
not technically. if you claim you don't live here and show proof of out of state residency.

really depends on the officer, how much of a douche he wants to be.
dc5luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
dc5luis
Master N00b Member

dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5luis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hylander View Post
Speaking of exhaust silencers, does anyone have any recommendations as to what would lower my db level a bit and still sound good ?

Thanks.
Silencer, and remove modded intake or header if you got one.

Not much you can do if you got an exhaust that's meant to be loud.
dc5luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
hylander

When I had Ed Hanson Muffler in Spring Valley Ca install my Magnaflow catback, they said it would be considered moderately loud. The resonator is pretty long, but it does have a great sound and is definitely louder than the stocky exhaust system. I have an Injen SRI and a Catback system only, no RH. I definitely do not want to put a silencer on it as mentioned above, it will totally restrict the air flow. So, when/if I need to change up the current system to something quieter, I will have to either put on a quieter muffler or get a larger resonator to reduce the db's.

I contacted the local CHP office to schedule an appointment to have them take a look and listen to my car to determine whether or not I am compliant. I am waiting for a call back from them hopefully in the next day or two. I heard from a friend that when they test db's, they stand back about 2 feet from the back of the tail pipe and then step a few feet to the side, 45 degree angle ?, then measure the noise level. I am not certain if that is the actual test or not, but sounds about right.

Anyways, if/when I have CHP check it out, i'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks Mfarmakas17 for the info regarding the 95 decibel limit. I was not aware of that.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
181stLeader

181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
In CA it has been 95dB for at least 15 years or more. All the new law does, is make an exhaust ticket not correctable. That is it. You can still fight the ticket in court, they cannot fine you for a law you didn't break.

The best way to fight it is go to the state ref and get your exhaust sound checked(the ref is the only one that can properly do the test, not the CHP or any other cop). if you are under 95dB(if you know your exhaust is louder than 95dB put it back to stock before your ref appointment) then the ref will give you a certification that you are in compliance and when you present that cert to the judge your case will be dismissed. No fine.

Here is the thing tho, you will still have to pay the ref to perform the exhaust sound check. They charge between $100-$150 to do the test. You will also have to pay a court processing fee of $25. And of course wasting at least two days of your time (one at the ref and one at court).

You also may be able to bring in info from the exhaust manufacturer that states its under 95dB but the judge may not accept that. The ref cert is the best way to beat it.

Lastly, I am unsure if you are written up for modified exhaust only and NOT modified emissions if the ref will check for any other mods when you go in for the sound test. My guess is they will only do the sound check and that is it. But its probably up to each ref.

•1996 Carbon WRC Widebody Impreza WRX STi coupe.
•2003 Acura RSX Type-S
181stLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
181stLeader

181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 181stLeader is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Also once you have the cert from the ref I would imagine you could use it again in court if you were to get popped in the future for modified exhaust.

•2003 Acura RSX Type-S
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
Troblnred

Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Troblnred is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Muffler Tip

I didn't want to switch out the exhaust system, but clean up the rear pipe by adding a chrome tip. Which, according to my understanding, I'll still get pulled over.
Troblnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I think people are putting back their stock exhaust now in Cali because they dont want to risk paying the fine.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
rizz

rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
anyone wanna buy a used hks hi power dragger exhaust?.....
Im done with my exhaust!
rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizz View Post
anyone wanna buy a used hks hi power dragger exhaust?.....
Im done with my exhaust!
How much?
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
hylander

Thanks 181stLeader for the info and heads up. I called Magnaflow and they said I should be under 91 db's with a good sized resonator. Like I mentioned before, it is only moderately loud. I downloaed a few free db apps on my phone and tested my exhaust sound, (I realize this is not at all accurate with what the state ref would use to measure db's), but the app registered between 70 and 80 db's depending on the sound frequency weighting that was set for bands - A, C and Z. The loudest it got was apromately 81 db's at 50 % throttle/rpm's and that was inside of my garage where it is not recommended to measure. I think I will be ok, but it is nice to know that if I were to ever get cited, I have the option to go to a ref to get it checked out and certified that it is below 95db's and then get it written off at court. Granted, $130 for the test, $25 for court cost and 2 lost days to clear the citation. But, I would at least have the certificate for future use in the event I get pulled over to show the officer that I am compliant
Old 01-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
181stLeader

^yup spot on. The crappy thing is even if you are under the 95dB a cop that is in a bad mood can still write you up and make you go through the hassle. I had a cop tell me once that if it’s not the stock exhaust it’s modified and he can cite me. Which is not what the law says. You’d think the ones enforcing the laws should know what they are.

•2003 Acura RSX Type-S
Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #16
xDC5

xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
People will probably knock on it because it is cheaper than most of your well-known brands, but you could invest in a Yonaka exhaust. I bought the matte black one and I love it! It is just a bit louder above stock. You get more noise in the 1k-4k range, and it kind of quiets down in the higher RPMs. I drive 20~ miles to work on a freeway going about 75mph, and I can say it doesn't drone too much. Cabin noise is good, not too loud. The exhaust sound itself is good. Nice deep hum, no rasp at all. I've tried to get it to make the raspy noise usually heard on some exhausts, but I honestly have not been able to.
xDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 AM   #17
DC5_USMC

DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5_USMC is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
This new/updated law has been stressing me out since I heard about it. I haven't driven my RSX all year, but luckily I have my Prelude to get me around. IDK what to do about my car because it's pretty damn loud. I would sell it but who would buy the car knowing they wont be able to drive it either? and going back to stock would require that I invest money into it before I sell it and I dont have the time nor money at the moment to do so. Ugh Commiefornia sucks I need to get out of here
2005 Acura RSX Type-S NHBP - Weekend ride
-Sam
DC5_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #18
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
@ Commiefornia

Maybe you could buy a $50 matching silencer?
https://www.kseriesparts.com/search/silencer/
Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #19
Maximo_619

Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Maximo_619 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I freaked out to when I heard about this "new law," I googled it because of my HKS exhaust and seeing how I'm a family man now I can't afford a minimum $1000 ticket and paying for the state ref and all that other BS, check out this video I found when I first googled AB 1824, it helped to ease my anxiety over the law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB83lRnsLzk
Maximo_619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
I think people are putting back their stock exhaust now in Cali because they dont want to risk paying the fine.

Lol I sold my entire stock exhaust like the end of 2018 and the new law pops up. Honestly with a Q300 you should be far under the legal limit of a sound test. Yonaka catback too! I go by cops all the time and I have never even had them look at me and my sketchy rsx :sketch: lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SanDiegoLoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #21
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoLoCo View Post
Lol I sold my entire stock exhaust like the end of 2018 and the new law pops up. Honestly with a Q300 you should be far under the legal limit of a sound test. Yonaka catback too! I go by cops all the time and I have never even had them look at me and my sketchy rsx :sketch: lol
Figures, hah
But hey, you indicating the Yonaka would be louder than a Q300? I would think the opposite