Oil leak - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
HIntegra02

HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Oil leak

So I noticed some oil drops on my garage floor and saw some oil on the oil pan, i cleaned it to check if the gasket is bad it seemed ok so i began to search the source and saw some oil driveshaft boot and oil on oil filter. That leak took me to suspect VTEC solenoid or Oil Pressure Switch well i was right both VTEC and Switch had oil on it but im not sure which could be leaking. I cleaned both and itís been two days as i am keeping eye on them but they donít seem to leak now and no oil on them whatsoever.

My question is that could the filter inside VTEC gets clogged and made it leak for a while and then stopped? Or could be a very small leak from Oil Pressure Switch? Im really confused if itís the Oil Pressure Switch how could VTEC has some oil on it( please see the picture)

I use 10W-40 castrol synthetic oil and have 320,000KM on car.

Also, VTEC gasket was replaced almost 1.5 years ago as it had a big leak from there.

HIntegra02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #2
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
My guess is it's a slow leak from the VTEC solenoid gasket.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Mine has a leaky gasket too. Honda said to not worry about it yet.
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
HIntegra02

HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Day 3 - that oil leak from VTEC didn’t come back but I haven’t been hitting VTEC, maybe just twice yesterday so i think it is a slow leak and it lesks when keep hitting VTEC.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
HIntegra02

So I’m plannig to change VTEC seal just to be on safe side even though I didn’t see any oil on VTEC solenoid after i cleaned it. But i was looking at my oil pan area (cleaned that too) and i saw it was wet with oil on a small area so I assume that oil pan seal is also leaking but it’s not a bad leak i guess. Just wondering if i put JB weld around that area with that help sealing it?

Old 11-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I don't know if JB Weld will hold it. But be careful putting an exo-thermic reaction material near oil or gasoline.
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Negative on the JB Weld. If you want, you should just reseal the oil pan.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
HIntegra02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
Negative on the JB Weld. If you want, you should just reseal the oil pan.
Ok thanks. It doesnít drip down or covers whole pan with oil neither oil level goes down itís more like sweat coming from oil pan joint, not sure if itís normal.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #9
HIntegra02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
My guess is it's a slow leak from the VTEC solenoid gasket.
So I replaced VTEC gasket yesterday but the oil leak is still there it comes on the bottom of VTEC solenoid. Any suggestions?

upload photo album online
Old 11-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
dopeyrsx

Go back to conventional oil. Synthetic might be too thin??
Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
HIntegra02

I have been using semi-synthetic 10w-40 for a while, i guess last time i went to different mechanic and maybe he didn’t use 10w-40. But should it be stopped after a new gasket?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #12
dopeyrsx

Who did the gasket? Was it torque down correctly?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #13
HIntegra02

My mechanic i asked him about the torque but he said he’s a mechanic, he doesn’t need torque wrench for such a small job
Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
dopeyrsx

Did he even change the gasket? It's either that or the oil.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #15
HIntegra02

Yes he did changed the gasket. Not sure what is happening. I was thinking to take it off and apply some hondabond around the gasket.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
HIntegra02

So after opening the VTEC and getting embarrassed by my mechanic, we came to know that it is not leaking from VTEC gasket but from the o-ring on top. I checked acuraoemparts website and I don’t think they sell this o-ring, i guess whole VTEC solenoid needs to be replaced. Let me know if any of you have any solutions.

free picture hosting sites
Old 12-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
HIntegra02

If you look at my VTEC solenoid, you can see that it does not have a Valve Timing Oil Pressure Switch just a bolt there. Anyone has it missing too?
Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
dopeyrsx

On my Type S in the USA, there's 2 sensors on top.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
HIntegra02

Yea it is interesting what about K20A3 base over there? Do they come with 2nd sensor on top?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #20
vtchopperdude

vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
started having oil leak from the bottom of the VTEC solenoid...so it seems. I went ahead and replaced the how VTEC solenoid because I replaced just the gasket about 2 years ago. I didn't replace the round gasket mentioned above, so it may be that, but hopefully replacing the whole unit solves the problem. It was pretty bad; oil change 3 weeks ago, and just in that time and 300 miles, the oil was below the bottom marker on the dipstick...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #21
HIntegra02

Mine was pretty bad leak too. Did you replace with aftermarket vtec unit?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #22
vtchopperdude

vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtchopperdude is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
ya from amazon...seemed to fix the issue