thoughts on a dual intake - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Welding, Fabrication, & Tools
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
markward90

markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx markward90 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
thoughts on a dual intake

Custom intake with y for short RAM and ca intake combo.... Any thoughts of this and is it ready worth... Pretty much what I'm tryna have people to consider if u can get the best of both words with this setup
markward90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
mschaidle
Sith Lord

mschaidle is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
The air is going to travel the path of least resistance.

Therefore you will be offsetting the bonus of having the CAI because of the fact it will prob be pulling hot (faster moving) air in from the short ram.

just get a CAI with a rubber elbow like the injen one and keep a short ram in the trunk so you can swap it out when it is raining (if that is your holdup on the CAI)

What is the reasoning behind you thinking a dual intake is a good idea to begin with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchie View Post
I like to think of CRSX as the front lines of the war against rice.

Last edited by mschaidle; 03-05-2012 at 12:27 AM..
mschaidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
itskien
Doesn't Give A F*ck

itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with
sri is nothing.

cai all the way.

Empty Tank Crew #1
Twitter: KiensAJauk
Instagram / Snapchat: ItsKien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianK View Post
kien you fat fuck, no set of wings can lift your cinna bun ass up to heaven anyway.
itskien is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Cirq
Look fast. Drive slow.

Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Cirq is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have no complaints with my SRI, unlike most the filter isn't sitting by the header lol, its grabbing fresh air coming in the upper grille.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
RSlowXS
Master Member

RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaidle View Post
The air is going to travel the path of least resistance.

Therefore you will be offsetting the bonus of having the CAI because of the fact it will prob be pulling hot (faster moving) air in from the short ram.

just get a CAI with a rubber elbow like the injen one and keep a short ram in the trunk so you can swap it out when it is raining (if that is your holdup on the CAI)

What is the reasoning behind you thinking a dual intake is a good idea to begin with?
my guess would be that with a CAI and a SRI connected with a Y, there would be two entry points for suction of air to pull from and therefore more air being pulled in..

mythbuster it?
RSlowXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Luna
Tuna Luna

Luna is on a distinguished road
so add 3 filters

Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
itskien
Doesn't Give A F*ck

itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with

Empty Tank Crew #1
Twitter: KiensAJauk
Instagram / Snapchat: ItsKien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianK View Post
kien you fat fuck, no set of wings can lift your cinna bun ass up to heaven anyway.
itskien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
fbmbmx151
gingers have no souls

fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
what i would use at the Y is a remote exhaust cut out valve. that way you would have the option to switch between the two different intakes with a push of a button or switch.

Yuengling Crew
fbmbmx151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmbmx151 View Post
what i would use at the Y is a remote exhaust cut out valve. that way you would have the option to switch between the two different intakes with a push of a button or switch.

OMG that just sounds fucking stupid to put it bluntly

You want more air go BOOST
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
XG624
OG Base Crew

XG624 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Spaz View Post
You want more air go BOOST
/thread

XG624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
fbmbmx151
gingers have no souls

fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
not as stupid as when you would switch to your makeshift short ram during a sudden storm in the rain. besides if op were to do that i would recommend the cold air as primary intake and at the Y a filter attached.

Yuengling Crew
fbmbmx151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
SnOwHIObandito
LessGOmoarSLOW

SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I kinda like that idea of exhaust cut out intake for rain situations. but other than that is sounds like a over expensive waste of time/space in your bay. Plus dont they make a piece for higher up the pipe to prevent hydrolocking?
I agree that if you want more air. force it in!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
mathyou
FS: Vtec Fluid

mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mathyou is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
This isn't going to work man. Have you ever had a crack in a straw and tried to drink with it? The suction only brings in air from the crack (SRI in your case) and not from the end of the straw in the soda (CAI in your case). The CAI end will have more resistance than the SRI because of the bend near the filter. Even if you got it to flow evenly between them, you'd still be ruining your cold air when it hits air from the warm intake. ...also you won't be getting any extra air to the engine this way. Not going to work man.
mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
2010 admin

I like DIY mods as much as the next guy and have a some pretty whacky things to my car over the years but if there is one area where people will keep looking for the silver bullet that does not exist, it is air intake for the DC5. There are plenty of ways to put a K&N element into your car that uncorks the inlet tract but unfortunately, pretty much all of them involve "breathing hot engine bay air". It's like, there are only so many ways to actually get cool, fresh air into the engine bay of the DC5, and they have all pretty much been explored.

Hoods and ducts? Sure go for it. Show me one of those that doesn't hack the car to pieces or cost a million bucks to make maybe 5 more horsepower.

Not hating on the idea, just saying that this horse died a long time ago.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
9/11 RSX-s
Master Member

9/11 RSX-s has a clean start 9/11 RSX-s has a clean start 9/11 RSX-s has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 admin View Post
I like DIY mods as much as the next guy and have a some pretty whacky things to my car over the years but if there is one area where people will keep looking for the silver bullet that does not exist, it is air intake for the DC5. There are plenty of ways to put a K&N element into your car that uncorks the inlet tract but unfortunately, pretty much all of them involve "breathing hot engine bay air". It's like, there are only so many ways to actually get cool, fresh air into the engine bay of the DC5, and they have all pretty much been explored.

Hoods and ducts? Sure go for it. Show me one of those that doesn't hack the car to pieces or cost a million bucks to make maybe 5 more horsepower.

Agreed. After years of entertaining all sorts of "creative" ideas and running a gutted airbox with a DIY Mugen vent, I got a shovel, buried the stinking carcass, and bought an Injen CAI. Guess I've been running it about 4 years now. I've no complaints. I wrapped it with foam pipe insulation and foil tape; that helps keep the temps down in city driving. The only new thing I see coming is the silicone CAI from Hybrid Racing; that should suck up a bit less heat from the engine bay... or just insulate a metal one.
ASPEC | Neuspeed | CenterLine Racing RPM | BFG KDW-2
IN> Injen CAI > Hybrid Racing 70mm > RRC > RDX 410cc > IPS K2 > DCRH & Cat > 2.5" Stainless >OUT
9/11 RSX-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
10dsbrennan

10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 10dsbrennan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 admin View Post

Just so you guys know, all of these stupid mods probably make such a small difference. Look at this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Not a "Y" in a pipe, but it's a similar concept. Says the difference in pressure drop between no filter element and a high performance one is minimal. IE, all of these changes everyone talks about on intakes are so stupid. They're not very noticeable at all.

Quote:
The only new thing I see coming is the silicone CAI from Hybrid Racing; that should suck up a bit less heat from the engine bay... or just insulate a metal one.
Also 9 / 11, I'm going to take some metal insulation tape and wrap it around my short ram and see how the IAT's look on an OBD scanner for kicks.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
iamtehwinnar

iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx iamtehwinnar is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmbmx151 View Post
not as stupid as when you would switch to your makeshift short ram during a sudden storm in the rain. besides if op were to do that i would recommend the cold air as primary intake and at the Y a filter attached.
I've had a CAI on my '04 RSX-S for close to 3 years now, it's lived through WA rain, CA rain, TX rain, NM rain and SC rain. Some of which were heavy enough down pours that visibility was near 30-40ft in front of me max and on the freeway. I've yet to have any issues with it. Just don't drive through puddles like an idiot and I can't really see you getting enough water up to where the filter in a CAI sits to worry.
iamtehwinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Deetz

Deetz is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I sourced out a Comptech Icebox, one of the best options imo. It better's regular tube intakes in such that the intake bring air into a camber. The Filter is raised I the upper half of the chamber giving extra protection from sucking in liquid, and being it's cold air, does give a mild hp increase
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
maverick_dc5
Banned

maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx maverick_dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
9/11 rsx-s how do you like those itbs?
maverick_dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
2010 admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetz View Post
I sourced out a Comptech Icebox, one of the best options imo. It better's regular tube intakes in such that the intake bring air into a camber. The Filter is raised I the upper half of the chamber giving extra protection from sucking in liquid, and being it's cold air, does give a mild hp increase
Just my opinion: The Comptech Icebox is really not any more "performance" than stock. And I owned one for several years.

I can tell you that it will not make much power over stock because the ignition tables when I had it n the car were a lot closer to the stock airbox than to the true cold air intake. It is a lot quieter, though.