What Kind of Coolant should i use on a 2005 Acura RSX BASE - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
RSXGUY1988

RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
What Kind of Coolant should i use on a 2005 Acura RSX BASE

Hello i got a

Acura
RSX (base)
K20A3
automatic
109xxx (miles as of today)
i put 458 miles on it a week as a commuter car.

Recently i added a little coolant the (Prestone 50/50) you know (the kind that says goes with any color of coolant any type of vehicle kind) just to bring it to the sufficent marking level on the tank. The reason i added any is because i noticed my heater only throws hot air when my foot is on the gas which usually means a bad heater core right????

Anyways i plan on flushing out the old Coolant and refilling with New Coolant in the spring. This car is a Salvaged Title Car so i should anyways for my own peace of mind i bought the car at 96K miles with no records of maintenance. So i never knew that Japanese Cars require a special coolant for example honda,nissan toyota etc. I thought i could just fill up with and or flush and fill with the (Prestone 50/50 works with any color coolant type) i Was told i gotta use one for Honda/Acura Why is that??? To Fuck over the working man to pay more money for something that i don't need or is there a legitimate reason please elaborate???? i was told something about the water pumps on these Japanese Cars going bad quicker unless you use a Japanese Coolant I DON"T KNOW EDUCSTE ME?????????????????????
RSXGUY1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It's not just the water pump that can be effected, but everything that the coolant runs through. If it's the same color, I wouldn't worry much. At your mileage though, you may as well replace the water pump too. Mine started taking a shit at 110k.

Supposedly, other coolant can ruin seals and cause rust. Has this been proven? I'm not sure. Is paying a few extra dollars for Honda/Acura coolant worth the peace of mind? Absolutely.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Dad
Master Member

Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Dad must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmakas17 View Post
It's not just the water pump that can be effected, but everything that the coolant runs through. If it's the same color, I wouldn't worry much. At your mileage though, you may as well replace the water pump too. Mine started taking a shit at 110k.

Supposedly, other coolant can ruin seals and cause rust. Has this been proven? I'm not sure. Is paying a few extra dollars for Honda/Acura coolant worth the peace of mind? Absolutely.
This!

It's always worth the extra peace of mind anytime it deals with vital components of your car. I know these cars are just Honda's but when you are putting those kind of miles on your car a week, you need it to be dependable.

Everyones Favorite Brit

My WTB Thread
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Right or wrong - just my experience. Iíve been using the standard Prestone antifreeze formula mixed 50/50 ratio with distilled water. My RSX is an 02 with 186k miles, and the only parts changed out on its cooling system are the radiator/heater hoses.
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
TKOTed

TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TKOTed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You should only use Honda coolant. Same for the transmission and power steering fluids.
TKOTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKOTed View Post
You should only use Honda coolant. Same for the transmission and power steering fluids.
Why only OEM fluids? Please provide facts to support your statement. As long as the OEM specifications are met or exceeded non OEM fluids should perform just as well.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Hyoriu

Hyoriu is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Sandbag View Post
Why only OEM fluids? Please provide facts to support your statement. As long as the OEM specifications are met or exceeded non OEM fluids should perform just as well.
Straight from the owners manual itself on the fluids that you should use oem honda fluid.

It could cause corrosion on the honda aluminum engine blocks. But yes, if it meets OEM Specs for other coolants it should work too?

Old 12-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #8
RSXGUY1988

RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSXGUY1988 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I thought so

I mean of course Honda is gonna is always gonna try to sell you there product over the other guy. It is Called Brand Upselling.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Did some googling and found these two videos. The first video is good enough proof for me to continue using OEM coolant, although the brand of the other coolant wasn't mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZ5WK9G7_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH_0Ygeqm-0

DC5sandbag has a good point though. If the coolant you purchase meets or exceeds OEM standards, it should be fine. The problem is that we don't know what corrosion inhibitors are used in OEM coolant or aftermarket, it just says "proprietary blend" or something similar for obvious reasons...

Last edited by mfarmakas17; 12-31-2018 at 09:30 AM..
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
RSXGUY1988

Is this is a good brand of Coolant

I Found This Coolant by Valvoline i took pics of it at walmart like $13 a gallon is this a Reliable Brand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190102_194134.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	548189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190102_194145.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	548191  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #11
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoriu View Post
Straight from the owners manual itself on the fluids that you should use oem honda fluid.

It could cause corrosion on the honda aluminum engine blocks. But yes, if it meets OEM Specs for other coolants it should work too?

This comment is not just limited to the subject of what type of fluids you should use, but when you push your car to itís design limits, most car enthusiast enjoy going the extra mile researching material specifications and their limitations. Its sad that more drivers now days donít take advantage of all the information on this forum that was developed from years of trial & error - information you wonít find in the owner's manual. I also recommend readers to checkout websites that go into more depth with test results. Overall I hope other RSX enthusiast will find on this forum reliable cost effective solutions that will allow them to modify their cars to be competitive against newer hot hatches or muscle cars if they choose to.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have never had issues using honda fluid. 244k miles - absolutely no cooling parts replaced.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
KingMaiya

KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KingMaiya is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Iíve used synthetic oil , whatever was on sale that week, wether it was Castrol , Mobil1 , pennzoil , valvoline ect and have used Fram oil filters as well. Never any issues . Always buy it at Walmart .

For the most part, most of us are daily drivers , you not nascar drivers or fucking ken block drifting around corners . All Iím saying is that , if your tracking your car then YES use the good shit . But if your just driving around. I donít see the need to spend all this extra money,

But I also understand those of you that love your car and want nothing but the best . Thatís fine too.

As far as coolant , use whatever is 50/50 mix, that shit donít matter. Thatís Honda trying to make that extra money off u.

The only thing I would recommend keeping OEM is your tranny fluid . Thatís one thing I would not mess around with. Donít cheap out .

Iíve had my car since 2010 , itís been 9 years and Iíve never had any issues at all. havenít switched cars or anything. Iíve also done the same thing to all my cars as well.

Iím speaking for myself and from experience . This is 9 years of me doing this and never had any issues . some people like to give their two cents and they just bought their car last month.

- so do your oil changes on time .
- check coolant weekly and fill as needed
- check brake fluid and fill as needed
- check your power steering fill as needed

Do all this and you should be A1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram : Deemossi
KingMaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #14
Mikeman711

Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Interesting! I will have to do more research on this! For transmission fluid I’m replacing with penzoil synchromesh transmission fluid i have done some research and it’s sopsed to help with pop outs etc I don’t have those problems but I’m taking all extra precautions since my car has high miles
Mikeman711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
Mikeman711

Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have done some research and this is what I found
The key to maximizing the life of an aluminum radiator is not so much the coolant brand as it is the water type. All coolants sold today will protect the aluminum radiators adequately however distilled water must be part of the package

And with later research I have cane across hoat coolints witch sounds like is what Honda uses for their oem

this is the choices I have picked anyone use any of these before ?

Summit Racingģ️ Ice Water Coolant SUM-943000
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...0aApkaEALw_wcB

Be Cool Coolant Antifreeze 25002
https://www.jegs.com/i/Be-Cool-Radia...EaAj2tEALw_wcB

For pre mixed

MISHIMOTO LIQUID CHILLģ️ SYNTHETIC ENGINE COOLANT, PREMIXED 64OZ
https://www.mishimoto.com/liquid-chi...MaAsxlEALw_wcB

Super coolant by hks
https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produ...ant/index.html

I’m going to email mishimotto and hks and the rest to see if they are
Hybrid Organic Additive Technology

And I will respond back once I get a response from them

I think I’m leaning tords hks
Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #16
Mikeman711

Ok so I think I just decided to go with

Motul 101079 Coolant - Inugel Expert Ultra

It’s a hoat hybrid coolant

It comes in deluted and non deluted

I think this is the best option it states it is hybrid on the label ! And in the info
Compared to others I wanted I had to email them I want it to be on the label !
I also will be flushing. My system using this technique

https://youtu.be/s--5ft5YiHg
Old 01-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
Mikeman711

Hks is not safe for aluminum blocks so don’t use that they just emailed me
Old 03-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
Jimmikatt

Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I just bought a 06 Type S from Texas, and i live in Minnesota,
once i got it home i did a flush, since it was -20 I wanted to make sure it had the right coolant.
I used HOAT rated coolant, since it suppose to be safe for aluminum blocks.
Zerex 1 Gallon Blue 50/50 Antifreeze
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...861398/2496985
Jimmikatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #19
Mikeman711

Nice and yea I always like to change all fluids and do as much as the maintenance as possible right when a but a car I don’t care if it was done already if they said I still
Do it cause you can’t take people word for it ! I’m waiting to do my coolant when I decide what radiator I want to get ! But yes you did right boat is the right stuff ! Even if it’s not exactly what Honda uses it’s the best option for alluninum blocks and for performance my Audi A8 used the same stuff ! But I decided to go above and beyond on my coolant since I’m not keeping it stick !

If you ever need a good mechanic good mechanic in northfield called elite auto care they will work with you not over charge you and let you know what’s going on in a build or fix!

I am very happy with their work so far!

I had them do the work since I can’t since I had neck surgery this winter !

But just a heads up since they do good work and won’t cheat you like some places !
Old 04-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #20
Mikeman711

The coolant needs to be hoat coolint !
Old 04-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #21
newestbie

newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx newestbie is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
coolant type

Unfortunately Honda/Acura always says use Honda/Acura type without telling what is its content.

I have bmw x3 and I know bmw says ethylene gylcol based coolant.

I checked auto stores same coolants recommended for x3 also recommended for rsx

Also checked Honda type 2 coolant its also ethylene gylcol based

basically u can use any ethylene gylcol based coolant If its not pre-diluted then dilute with water as its written on label.
newestbie is offline   Reply With Quote