High Performance Alignments... - Page 22 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #526
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
I did have one instance where the left tire caught a rumble strip in the center line while I was passing some ridiculously slow driver in a two lane tunnel and decided to suddenly head in that direction at 86 mp/h, but that's probably more of an issue with having a LSD than with the alignment. Or a combination of both. LSD + sudden change in traction on one side tends to equal a fun time.
I had a similar event passing someone using the left berm (I know, I know...), and felt stupid/worse about it because my helical LSD didn't like the rumble strips at 65mph . I managed fine and didn't get loose but it definitely did some voodoo toward the median wall which really caught me off-guard. Probably just extra friction equals natural progression to pull that way though
IronGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #527
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Zzyzx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
the amount of rolling resistance changed between the front wheels AKA, the car turns in to the side that has more resistance.

“There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
— Ed Howdershelt
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #528
wb123

wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx wb123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
having lets say -0.08 degrees toe out up front and
having +0.08 degrees toe out in the rear

what would this do the car ? I read that the +0.08 or so toe out in the rear will help keep the rear planted....
wb123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #529
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb123 View Post
having lets say -0.08 degrees toe out up front and
having +0.08 degrees toe out in the rear

what would this do the car ? I read that the +0.08 or so toe out in the rear will help keep the rear planted....
Toe in. Toe out will make the car want to turn more.

“There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
— Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #530
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
That's why you want rear toe IN

edit: I just learned something. I thought rear toe in worked with front toe out to help the car rotate but apparently not. In fact, quite the opposite - it keeps the car planted from kicking out. Huh. My bad. I wouldn't recommend it though but I see what you're saying. It's kinda hard to control a drifting FWD car, but I get it - you're a baller
Anyways, good resource that backs you up: http://drivefast.org/novice-tips/alignment-tips/
Another site I like: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...ng_tuningtable
Its actually fairly easy to control oversteer in a FWD. The nice thing about front drive is you can use the throttle to pull the car out of a slide. It has to be second nature to really work well, but when it is boy is it a good feeling lol. RWD however your best bet is to maintain or let off the throttle slightly, neither of which have nearly the correcting affect as on throttle FWD.

There are a few BTCC videos out there from the S2000 era (early-mid 00's) where guys will literally slam down two gears, pin the throttle and boil the tires in full lock to save an almost 90* slide. Epic.

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

SHG_EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #531
aaronprotoge91

aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
subd
Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #532
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
BTW, Update: I got into an oversteer situation on an on-ramp where you go left 270 and the right 90 degrees. Well, nearing the end of the 270 I was pushing nearly 60mph and starting to get loose, and countered very softly. When it wasn't working (still on the throttle), and I was going to have to turn the car right soon, I lifted off (FAIL) and the car snapped around on me so vigorously that I didn't T-bone the guardrail but instead flipped all the way around backwards and then some and had to do a J-turn in the opposite direction/rotation from whence I came to straighten the car back out. Here ends my days of trying to throttle out of oversteer situations. Better be balls to the wall with your right-foot confidence because I'm gonna avoid the situation for now...

I took a picture of it later:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-22-16-27-50.png
Views:	57
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	498418  

Last edited by IronGumby; 12-08-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Old 12-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #533
SHG_EasyE
Master Member

SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SHG_EasyE is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yeah, part of the problem is pushing it hard enough to slide on the street cause there's no traction. Cold tires don't have shit for grip lol. It's a whole different ball game when you're a few laps into a track session and have nice hot tires. Also though as far as tank slapping like you described is usually caused by over correction of the first slide, and not bringing the wheel back straight or even away from the slide fast enough. Wheels gotta be straight before you feel the weight start to transfer back the other way

Watch starting from 3:45.... Coming through T4 at njmp Lightning had a nice slide and you can see what I'm talking about with bringing the wheel back before the weight transfers

http://youtu.be/gVg_rJBkDRU

HONDA TWINCAM WORKS
SoHonda Garage.

Last edited by SHG_EasyE; 12-08-2015 at 07:41 AM..
SHG_EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #534
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

throttle on oversteer in a FWD car says something about your setup is wrong.

I.e. Is your suspension overly stiff for the tires you are running? Do you have toe out on the back of the car? Are your suspension bushings in good condition? Do you have too much rear anti-roll bar? ect... something is causing your rear end to lose traction.

— Ed Howdershelt
Old 12-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #535
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
You talking about the oversteer at the 4:00 mark in that video? He lifted. You can see his foot come off the pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FYEV66U-Go

With oversteer in a FWD, you kinda need a LSD to make the most out of it, but don't worry about what the car is doing or where the weight is going. Worry about where your tires are pointed. Car gets loose? Get on the gas and point the tires where you want to go.

That little tidbit is why morons are always putting R32 Skyline GT-Rs into cliff faces, guard rails, trees, and just about everything else out here. They drive around like idiots, break the car loose and then try to counter steer like it's a RWD. Then the ATESSA in its infinite wisdom transfers power to the front wheels and the car decides to go wherever the steering wheels are pointed. That's one reason those GT-Rs were so damn fast around the track. They have the handling of a RWD, but the oversteer control of a FWD. Hell, when I drive my friend's GT-R, I just drive it like it's any other Honda. Ass end comes out and I don't react. I just point the front tires where I want to be and let the back end do whatever it wants to do.

SHG nailed it in that video. Back end came out and he counter steered to straighten out the front end and then immediately turned back into the slide and let the front tires pull him out of it.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #536
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Zzyzx, in my case I had 245 summer tires in the front and 225 supposedly high performance all seasons in the rear, thus a mis-matched setup. My friend warned me it would be bad for a track. Funny thing is, he was with me in the car when it happened and witnessed the whole thing firsthand, lol
Old 12-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #537
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Uh yeah, anytime you increase grip in one section and have decreased grip on the other end, one of those ends of the car is going to either come out, or understeer. That's the whole concept behind staggering tires.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #538
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

That was the whole reason I did it, front end grip. But I didn't know what I was getting myself into in past-the-limit situations. Just answering his question cuz stock the RSX is so prone to understeering
Old 12-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #539
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Maybe ITR is different, but I haven't encountered any of that understeer. Even with godawful amounts of negative toe and zero camber. Might just be your car.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #540
Jordan Dc5
Green Bastard.

Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jordan Dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Loose is fast, the looser you can make the car while still be comfortably driveable the faster it can go. That's why we staggered tires, if the rear tires never show signs of losing some traction (slipping) then your set up is not optimized. To get the most out of the tire and set up the tires have to be slipping to a very slight degree.

I'll leave this here, video of me without the wing entering the toilet bowl at ginger man. Funny although this most definitely slowed me down, it was somehow my fastest lap of the day. Car was definitely too loose for a lot of the high speed sections.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VUvI3X0m_dA
Instagram:JordanBryantDc5
Jordan Dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #541
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Yes, loose is fast. However, Loose while on the throttle isn't. As at that point you will have negated a good portion of your control over the rear end of the car. Aim to be able to control the cars attitude with the throttle as much as you can, adding in throttle should push the nose away from the apex, coming off throttle should push the nose towards the apex, both with minimal if any steering input.

— Ed Howdershelt
Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #542
jennyftb

jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jennyftb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Brining a post back from the dead here.... I went through a few pages, but there is quite a few.

I was looking to get some help with my alignment issue.
My 02 is mainly for street / drag / roll race setup making up to 700hp (will run 500-600 normally)
I got the car aligned at a dealership, and they gave me back the image you see with the results of the alignment. I see the caster is not even, but thats not adjustable.

My issue is how the car is ALL over the place when I lay into it. I cant even utilize the entire RPM range as ill be in another lane. (acts like its RWD) I have a new LSD and it works properly, so im leaning towards the alignment being incorrect. either not done properly or my setup is wrong.
I replaced ALL the bushings, ball joint, Ktuned inner / outer spherical tie rod, rear LCA, rear camber rod, and I think thats it? everything was replaced and upgraded.
My main question is what should I target for a car that is geared toward high power performance. Not made 100% for straight line, but needs to be able to do it well.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	548863  
jennyftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #543
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

It's gotta be because you have all that toe out. ~1*? wow. I would not take any RSX to a dealership for an alignment, let alone one with aftermarket suspension. If you are too low you might need adjustable tie rods to get rid of the toe.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #544
acepty

acepty is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
How is the suspension itself?

I had progress suspension and at the end of it life the car was tram lining like crazy following every crack in the road, changed that to a brand-new yellow speed and the problem was gone...

https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthrea...=me+450+report
acepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #545
Sonicc
Aspiring Race Car Driver

Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
In the process of getting the RSX ready for track. Unfortunately stock suspension was blown and had to be replaced, which kind of sucks because I can't really get a baseline for stock feel at track - I got track experience in other cars just not RSX.

Went with BC Racing DS series coilovers (with camber plates built in) - 8k front, 16k rear springs and custom valving. Something closer to stock or milder spring rates would probably be better for getting used to the car, but I'm trying to keep this budget friendly so don't want to be swapping springs in a year. Out of the box, the ride height is about 1.75" lower than stock. I intend to bump this up so the drop is about 1" since tie rods and rest of the hardware is still stock. Both sway bars are stock for now. Tires are Firestone Indy Firehawk 500 205/55-16 on stock wheels for now.

I was thinking to start off with the alignment specs in OP:
Camber Front = -1.5
Camber Rear = -.75
Front and rear toe at 0 for now
Caster = max or stock

In addition, I'm also getting a tire pyrometer to keep an eye on tire temps after each session and see if camber needs to be adjusted.

Last edited by Sonicc; 07-08-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Sonicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #546
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

How does this compare to other cars you've tracked? I ask because I've had other discussions with people in person about rear camber and most have advised that if I ever track my car, I am probably gonna want equal if not more rear camber than the front to be safe and keep the rear planted, especially if I am learning the limits of the car. Sure, "loose is fast, fast is loose" as long as you don't spin out the car, which... I've successfully done on an single chicane on-ramp a few years ago, and that was with rear camber nearly equaling the front! (But I also had staggered tires 245 summers front and 225 all-seasons rear, so take that for what it's worth). By God's grace I managed to hold a ~135 degree slide/drift until I started going backwards and somehow didn't hit the guardrail or slide off the ramp. I effectively did a Scandinavian flick in the middle of the road without realizing it, lol. Oh wait I did talk about that in 2015 above! Whoops

I think 1" drop would be perfect and yeah max caster because the more caster, the more camber upon steering angle, right?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #547
akopan

akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx akopan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicc View Post
In the process of getting the RSX ready for track. Unfortunately stock suspension was blown and had to be replaced, which kind of sucks because I can't really get a baseline for stock feel at track - I got track experience in other cars just not RSX.

Went with BC Racing DS series coilovers (with camber plates built in) - 8k front, 16k rear springs and custom valving. Something closer to stock or milder spring rates would probably be better for getting used to the car, but I'm trying to keep this budget friendly so don't want to be swapping springs in a year. Out of the box, the ride height is about 1.75" lower than stock. I intend to bump this up so the drop is about 1" since tie rods and rest of the hardware is still stock. Both sway bars are stock for now. Tires are Firestone Indy Firehawk 500 205/55-16 on stock wheels for now.

I was thinking to start off with the alignment specs in OP:
Camber Front = -1.5
Camber Rear = -.75
Front and rear toe at 0 for now
Caster = max or stock

In addition, I'm also getting a tire pyrometer to keep an eye on tire temps after each session and see if camber needs to be adjusted.
I'd get some stickier tires eventually, and when you do get some tires with 200tw or lower, you'll want more than -1.5 camber in the front. Run as much static camber as you can (3 deg or more) - you should be able to get this with camber plates and 2x camber bolts on each side. Finally, for the front, get offset bushings (Whiteline makes some) for the front lower control arm to get more caster. Swap your camber plates L -> R so you can get more caster out of the plates.

You might need shorter inner tie rods once you dial in camber/caster, and K-Tuned make some nice ones that are OEM quality.

I'd also run a larger rear bar, Type R or Eibach should do with your spring rates.

It'll help a ton to get poly bushings in the rear knuckle to help reduce binding and get rid of snap oversteer. They really make the car more predictable at the limit.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #548
Sonicc
Aspiring Race Car Driver

Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sonicc is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by akopan View Post
I'd get some stickier tires eventually, and when you do get some tires with 200tw or lower, you'll want more than -1.5 camber in the front. Run as much static camber as you can (3 deg or more) - you should be able to get this with camber plates and 2x camber bolts on each side. Finally, for the front, get offset bushings (Whiteline makes some) for the front lower control arm to get more caster. Swap your camber plates L -> R so you can get more caster out of the plates.

You might need shorter inner tie rods once you dial in camber/caster, and K-Tuned make some nice ones that are OEM quality.

I'd also run a larger rear bar, Type R or Eibach should do with your spring rates.

It'll help a ton to get poly bushings in the rear knuckle to help reduce binding and get rid of snap oversteer. They really make the car more predictable at the limit.
Thanks for the info. Stickier tires on wider wheels is something I have planned for next year. this year just trying to keep it "budget friendly" to get the car on track. I'll have to look into the bushings, they're still OEM and i'm sure worn. I was thinking to go poly all around.

Regarding the inner tie rods...I've read posts about people running adjustable ones, but what about inverted?
Sonicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #549
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Snap oversteer is what I experienced, which makes sense because I have stock rear bushings and rear sway.

You can invert the tie rod ends if you are lower than 1.5" drop or so