OEM rear strut brace? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
curiosul

curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
OEM rear strut brace?

Is it possible?

It's a 2003 Type S and what I'm pointing at are threaded holes.
Why else would they be there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0314191352.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	548759  
curiosul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It came from the factory on the ITR. Yes, it will fit on your Type S. The gussets are there for rigidity on all Type S models and second gen Base models.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
curiosul

curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx curiosul is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
OK, then the next questions are:

What's the part # for it?
Where can I find it?
Everything I could find online is aftermarket stuff that
1: attaches to the two bolts that secure the strut
2: goes over the carpet

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
curiosul

I just found this:

https://www.icbmotorsport.com/dcalfrlocoar.html

but the website looks sketchy ... should I buy it?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
74360-S6M-Z00
Jp-carparts.com has it, but you’ll pay import fees on it.

ICB Motorsport also sells it for $10 less, but they took a week and a half to ship when I ordered from them.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
mfarmakas17

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosul View Post
I just found this:

the website looks like shit, but they're a real company. Lots of past members have purchase from them back when they were called JDM Land.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
curiosul

Just bought it from there.
Now, according to you, I have to wait like two weeks (I live in Maryland)?
I don't know whether I should put the trim back in the trunk or just drive like that until it arrives ...

One last question:

What type/thread of bolts do I need (unless that bar comes with them)?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
mfarmakas17

Quote:
Just bought it from there.
Now, according to you, I have to wait like two weeks (I live in Maryland)?
I don't know whether I should put the trim back in the trunk or just drive like that until it arrives ...

One last question:

What type/thread of bolts do I need (unless that bar comes with them)?
I've actually ordered from them twice. The first time, it shipped out in a timely manner. The second time, it took about two weeks. Looking back at my emails, it was actually due to the holiday (ordered on Christmas eve), so you may get it in a timely manner.

Can't remember the thread count unfortunately, but it's labeled as "8x12". I went looking through a jar of misc metric bolts I had lying around and happened to find one that fit, and then hit the hardware store to match it. It was a fine thread bolt, that I know for sure.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
curiosul

M8-1.25 kind of makes sense.
I'll go to home depot, grab a bunch of them (and similar threads) and I'll post results.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
curiosul

M8-1.25 is the right thread

HOWEVER

on the left side, the gusset (and the nut welded to it) is raised compared to the body of the car about 1cm
on the right side, the nut is stuck against the sheetmetal meaning you need a bolt whose length is exactly the thickness of the bolt, the gusset and the bar. Any longer and it will be loose, any shorter and it won't be secure (not enough threads)

When I'll get the bar I'll have to cut one to size (or use washers or drill the body of the car); I"ll post results
Old 03-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #11
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
I just found this:

Haha, ICB is one of the most reputable JDM parts-sourcing companies out there. I get the feeling that their website isn't kept completely up to date, but contact them if you want the good stuff.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
curiosul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Haha, ICB is one of the most reputable JDM parts-sourcing companies out there. I get the feeling that their website isn't kept completely up to date, but contact them if you want the good stuff.
I ordered it on 3/14, they shipped it on 3/18, I'll get it 3/20 (Maryland)
So tomorrow I'll post updates and pics.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
curiosul

I only received it on 3/22, thanks USPS ...
It's more or less bolt on. I bought two M8-1.25 25mm bolts and I have to cut both (more on the right side of the car)
Two other problems (related to the subwoofer):

1: The clip holding the subwoofer cable to the left gusset down't fit the hole anymore. If you shave a bit of plastic off it, you can make it fit.

2: The foam insert that fits over the spare wheel/subwoofer doesn't fit the bar itself. Once again, cutting a bit off will make everything fit.

Pics a bit later.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
mfarmakas17

yeah, forgot to mention you'll need to trim the spare cover. I think it only needed about 3/4".
Old 03-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #15
curiosul

Pictures attached
I think it's worth it (if you want to keep the stock look)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-03-22 at 17.17.36.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	548883   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-03-23 at 10.19.47.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	548885   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-03-22 at 17.17.59.jpeg
Views:	16