Jackson Supercharger FAQ - Page 2 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #26
emfollin

emfollin is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
How much torque are you guys making? All the dynos I saw were like 160-170 wtq. That seems pretty low for a charger.
emfollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #27
TypeSC

TypeSC is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...hreadid=123706
TypeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:26 PM   #28
emfollin

emfollin is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
That's pretty good. His numbers are beat GReddy turbo numbers and is running about 3 psi less boost. However, were all the mods listed in the sig used to get those numbers?
emfollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2004, 07:45 PM   #29
conradb212
ECU Tuner

conradb212 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally posted by scottatyamaha
That is the only downfall I have found so far.
Scott, since you have the JRSC, may I ask you a couple of questions so that I can add the answers to the FAQ?

1) What is the approximate impact of the SC on gas mileage?

2) What's your estimate of the power drain of the SC when it's not on boost? Does the car feel noticeably more sluggish when off boost?

3) I know you installed yours yourself (your experience at this link). What level of expertise do you think someone needs to have to do it?
conradb212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 PM   #30
Hondata
Manufacturer

Hondata is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally posted by conradb212

1) What is the approximate impact of the SC on gas mileage?

2) What's your estimate of the power drain of the SC when it's not on boost? Does the car feel noticeably more sluggish when off boost?
Answer 1) None on the open road. I got 33 mpg at a 80-90 mph cruise. Lots less around town because you step on it a lot.

Answer 2) Virtually none
Hondata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #31
scottatyamaha

scottatyamaha is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have been turning wrenches on cars for a couple of years now. If you have basic knowladge of lefty loosy and righty tighty and have the right tools you and a friend can install it in one to two days. Just take your time and double and triple check everything you do. No problem!
scottatyamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #32
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Thanks for the additional info!! I added your responses to the FAQ on top of this thread. I also bolded the questions for easier reading. If anyone has additional questions and answers that should be added, post them here and I'll add them as well. It's not easy to get answers to questions on a product like a JRSC (JR didn't respond to me emails) and having them all in one place might help.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:18 AM   #33
scottatyamaha

scottatyamaha is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
JRSC has never once returned an e-mail of mine, but if you call them they are helpfull.
scottatyamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #34
conradb212
ECU Tuner

I have asked Chris if we could perhaps make this FAQ a sticky and therefore want to make extra sure I have everything right, so here is an additional question:

Many of us want to stay "legal" and have CARB stickers. So here are things the way I currently understand them. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- The street version of the JRSC is CARB-legal and you get a CARB sticker with it.

- The Hondata chip reflash is NOT CARB-legal.

- People with Hondata reflash who want to install the JRSC street version must return the chip to stock (i.e. have a dealer or Hondata reverse the reflash) because the JRSC does NOT get along with Hondata 4. After returning the chip to stock, the JRSC installation is CARB legal. Basically, Jackson's Digital Fuel Management Electronics take over what Hondata did before.

- Why is the Jackson Digital Fuel Management CARB legal when Hondata is not?

- Upgrading from street to race means reflashing the base chip to a special JRSC version by Hondata, plus installing larger fuel injectors. What happens to the Digital Fuel Management system from the base version? Is it taken out? Jackson says it does not come with the race version.

- Since the street and race version of the JRSC are the same except for the Hondata JRSC reflash and the larger fuel injectors, I assume that what makes the race version not CARB legal is Hondata. Correct?

- If so, you still have the CARB sticker from the base version and it'd take a fairly savvy inspector to realize that the CARB sticker is voided by the Hondata reflash. Seedy, but right?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #35
wdsonny

wdsonny is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
I have asked Chris if we could perhaps make this FAQ a sticky and therefore want to make extra sure I have everything right, so here is an additional question:

Many of us want to stay "legal" and have CARB stickers. So here are things the way I currently understand them. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- The street version of the JRSC is CARB-legal and you get a CARB sticker with it.

- The Hondata chip reflash is NOT CARB-legal.

- People with Hondata reflash who want to install the JRSC street version must return the chip to stock (i.e. have a dealer or Hondata reverse the reflash) because the JRSC does NOT get along with Hondata 4. After returning the chip to stock, the JRSC installation is CARB legal. Basically, Jackson's Digital Fuel Management Electronics take over what Hondata did before.

- Why is the Jackson Digital Fuel Management CARB legal when Hondata is not?
UPDATE: The street kit as tested was CARB cert. The race upgrade was tested at a smog station and was within the legal limits. But, the race kit was not submitted for cert.

- Upgrading from street to race means reflashing the base chip to a special JRSC version by Hondata, plus installing larger fuel injectors. What happens to the Digital Fuel Management system from the base version? Is it taken out? Jackson says it does not come with the race version. The TFI box adds additional fuel on the street kit when it senses boost via a boost hose. When you upgrade to the race version, the JRSC/Hondata reflash takes over all of that function for you. You either keep it to sell later, or just put it away for a rainy day.

- Since the street and race version of the JRSC are the same except for the Hondata JRSC reflash and the larger fuel injectors, I assume that what makes the race version not CARB legal is Hondata. Correct? See above...

- If so, you still have the CARB sticker from the base version and it'd take a fairly savvy inspector to realize that the CARB sticker is voided by the Hondata reflash. Seedy, but right? You are correct...
wdsonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #36
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally posted by emfollin
How much torque are you guys making? All the dynos I saw were like 160-170 wtq. That seems pretty low for a charger.
I must say I was a bit surprised by Scottatyamaha's very high torque numbers (up to 223). I think WDSonny was more in the 170 torque range on a Nology PDA dyno, and Jackson Racing's street dynos show only around 150, and Steve Lloyd's street pulled around 145 torque.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #37
Hades
Old San Diego Member

Hades is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
TypeSC
IS A
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #38
Hondata
Manufacturer

The Hondata race upgrade has not been through the strict USO6 CARB testing procedure which costs many thousands of $$.

Smog testing with a stock exhaust system shows emissions identical to stock unmodified RSX.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #39
HardWired71
Honda4Ever

HardWired71 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
If the SC guys are having trouble with traction what do the higher power turbo guys do??
Old 01-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #40
swordcrowned

swordcrowned is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally posted by HardWired71
If the SC guys are having trouble with traction what do the higher power turbo guys do??
I think the lag helps alittle, but alot of the people with the turbos also have an LSD installed.

I rode in Addict2boost car a couple of months ago, and even with the Phantom Grip LSD he still had alittle tire chirp. Not too bad though.

Does anyone with the JRSC have an LSD installed?
swordcrowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #41
RS6-Speed

RS6-Speed is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Conrad, thanks for gathering all this info into one place.

Can you add one more entry for the misc details to keep in mind when getting the SC installed? Those who already have the SC will probably know better what to watch out for, but I know for example that we have to remove a tab (?) on the headlight to prevent it from touching and throwing a belt.

Also another entry for the recommended spark plugs for the SC would be nice.

thanks
RS6-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:21 PM   #42
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally posted by RS6-Speed
Can you add one more entry for the misc details to keep in mind when getting the SC installed? Those who already have the SC will probably know better what to watch out for, but I know for example that we have to remove a tab (?) on the headlight to prevent it from touching and throwing a belt.

Also another entry for the recommended spark plugs for the SC would be nice.
RS6, thanks for the request. I added some of Sonny's and Steve's recommendations to the FAQ. As for spark plugs, it seems that many owners of JRSC-equipped cars use iridium plugs. Jackson's website itself only suggests to use spark plus that are "one heat range colder."

What do the JRSC experts here use and suggest?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #43
SoLoSpEeD101

SoLoSpEeD101 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
just to clarify this, if a N/A owner has the #4 reflash they will have to flash their ecu back to stock for the street kit. For the race version, all the have to do is send their already flashed ecu and get it flashed with the necessary program. Just trying to clarify that for myself, and whoever that have to read something twice to understand it but dont cuz we are lazy... damn, this thread is one of the most informative threads out there...i guess that is why its a sticky...
SoLoSpEeD101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #44
SoLoSpEeD101

SoLoSpEeD101 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
As for spark plugs, it seems that many owners of JRSC-equipped cars use iridium plugs. Jackson's website itself only suggests to use spark plus that are "one heat range colder."

What do the JRSC experts here use and suggest?
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...ht=spark+plugs
SoLoSpEeD101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #45
conradb212
ECU Tuner

SoLoSpEeD101, I agree that the Hondata/JRSC issue sounds a bit confusing. Bascially, if you get the reflash, you've optimized your engine for non-boost use. If you later decide to boost, you just can't use those parameters. This is one of the problems with a reflash as opposed to a programmable ECU. Hondata is about to release a programmable ECU for the K-Series and it will, from what I understand, include selectable maps for different situations, including one or more for use with the JRSC. Existing Hondata reflash customers will get a price break if they buy the programmable ECU.

Also, thanks for the thread to the JRSC plug discussion. I added a section on plugs to the FAQ and linked both to that thread and to NGK's plug FAQ.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #46
SleeperRSX

SleeperRSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
conradb212 so will the race kit come with the programable ecu. I ask because eventually JRSC will come out with new pullies for more HP. If this happens will we be able to run higher psi with the same Hondata the race version ecu came with or will we need a new program in which we have to send the ecu back to Hondata everytime we upgrade. In this case the programable ecu will come in handy. I doudt it will come with the programable ecu sense they said it will cost much more then a flashed ecu.

By the way spanks for putting all this info in one place.
SleeperRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #47
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperRSX
conradb212 so will the race kit come with the programable ecu. I ask because eventually JRSC will come out with new pullies for more HP. If this happens will we be able to run higher psi with the same Hondata the race version ecu came with or will we need a new program in which we have to send the ecu back to Hondata everytime we upgrade. In this case the programable ecu will come in handy. I doudt it will come with the programable ecu sense they said it will cost much more then a flashed ecu.

By the way spanks for putting all this info in one place.
SleeperRSX, I havent' checked out all the threads and sources on that yet, but think it's undecided as of now. Personally, I think that a programmable ECU is pretty much a must for anyone who intends to tinker with boost and other parameters on their JRSC-equipped car. I am sure a "static" Hondata reflash has some flexibility in accommodating different boost levels, but those who are really serious with optimizing their cars will want a programmable setup.

Hondata seems pretty tight with Jackson these days, so I am certain they will come up with a solution that makes sense.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #48
Sacrifice
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?

Sacrifice is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
The race kit comes with a flash. Maybe the upgrade, if that happens, will come with the reprogrammable, maybe it will be a different flash, maybe it will work with the regular race kit flash. Maybe they will offer it both ways. We don't know yet. Just chill until they get this thing to us.

Also, Hondata has said that the reprog will have a selection of base maps in it. Maybe this will include the SC maps. I doubt it since JR is a separate company. It would be in their best interest to keep some control of it, like Toda. You can bet that the Toda flash won't be in there, but JR seems to be a bit more "user-friendly" than Toda, so who knows.

Who knows, this all speculation till the thing is released to the public. No need to start a bunch of rumors until we know for sure. Ya'll are like a bunch of little ole ladies gossiping about the neighbors.
Injen, #4, Toda, Innovative, Ingalls, Quaife, ITR, Tanabe, Mugen, DC Sports, Comptech, DC Sports, Nuespeed, SSR, Toyo
------------------------------------------------
I don't know why everyone tries to cure thier insanity, I'm having a blast with mine.
Sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #49
Hondata
Manufacturer

Quote:
I am sure a "static" Hondata reflash has some flexibility in accommodating different boost levels, but those who are really serious with optimizing their cars will want a programmable setup.

Hondata seems pretty tight with Jackson these days, so I am certain they will come up with a solution that makes sense.
No, the JRSC program we have done is for one level of boost only. There is no flexibility. The programmable ECU will accomodate all levels of boost up to 11 psi

We are tight with anyone who wishes to work with us. We work with Toda, Jackson Racing and Greddy.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #50
SleeperRSX

SleeperRSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Thanks thats all I need to know.

Did that kill anyone for me asking Sacrifice. The only stupid question is the one thats not asked. So why dont you chill, now that we got some more info.
SleeperRSX is offline   Reply With Quote