The End All Rim Painting DIY Thread - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
mquster316

mquster316 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
The End All Rim Painting DIY Thread

I figured id do this thread so noone has to ask questions anymore...if there is nething i didnt answer feel free to ask an ill be glad to help u out..i did like 10 sets of rims already cuz once everyone liked mine we went nuts an did alot of them.

Me(rsx type s) an my friend(wrx) were bored of our stock rim color so we decided to have a lil fun on our first day of break..here it goes:

Tools Needed:
-400,600,1000 grit sandpaper(water proof for wetsanding)
-Impact gun(to get rims on/off)
-Jacks
-Jackstands
-Extra Rims if possible so car isnt nig rigged on jackstands liek ours were
-Blue Painters Tape
-Index Cards
-Time

1.Get your Rims off with a quick visit to Newark...make sure you have either other rims to sit your car on...or jacks an jackstands to set ur car on for the duration of a day

2.Clean Your rims using soap/ water/acetone as good as possible

3.Wetsand your rims...first using 400..then clean them...then using 600..then clean them...then using 1000...then clean them

4.Clean rims again using soap water and acetone as good as possible

5.Dry the rims as good as humanly possible...use towels..sun..hairdryer..wahtever needed

6.Put index cards around the edge of the rim to protect tires from overspray

7.Shake your spray paint very well

Last edited by mquster316; 12-25-2006 at 09:36 PM..
mquster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
mquster316

8.Put blue painters tape around your valvestem to prevent it from being painted and begin spraying first coat...very very very very very very light coats...should use like 5-7 coats of the paint as light as possible..i used all of my 2 cans in the lightest coats possible allowing 20 mins between each coat for drying...spray in a circular pattern we started from valvestem and slowly worked inwards

9.Let dry for about an hour after all coats fo paint are actually done

10.Clearcoat Clearcoat Clearcoat Clearcoat Clearcoat( THats right..about 5 coats).....2 cans i used in the same painting motion as the regular paint...

11.Let dry for as long as possible..somewhere thats over 40 degrees

12.Leave you poor cars sitting on jacks an jackstands : (

13.Your Done! Bolt your rims back on an drive away..finished pics wil be coming tommorow were trying to find a good photoshoot spot for the new rimmms

Thanks for All the help to all my friends and all the jacks an jackstands that were abused all day...ne questions feel free to pm me or watever to ask

Last edited by mquster316; 12-25-2006 at 09:39 PM..
Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
The Mack
Always Brave

The Mack is a rep WHORE
The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE The Mack is a rep WHORE
Thanks for the sticky, but i'll have to see the rims on ur car first...

Old 12-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Costco

Costco User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
Not bad there, in for pics/photoshoot. =)
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
mquster316

no doubt..ill have them up 2morow afternoon..the pics i ahve now make them look bad an we want to get a pic together so theyll be up 2morow
Old 12-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
mode360
JDM>USDM

mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own mode360 must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Looks good .....although I'm not feeling the green. Are you gonna paint the center caps too?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Click my sig to see my minus vtak
mode360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
mquster316

yeap i did the center caps in black ..the pics of those will be up 2morow..we also fileld the hole from my liscense plate bracket on my front bumper..painted the shift knob numbers an did my dome light red so il try to get as many pics an diys 2morow done as i can
Old 12-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
Costco

Costco User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquster316 View Post
no doubt..ill have them up 2morow afternoon..the pics i ahve now make them look bad an we want to get a pic together so theyll be up 2morow
Sweet, take lots of pictures man.
P.S. the green wheels look pretty good.
Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
ombastic
Master Member

ombastic is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
nicee i like the green
ombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
mquster316

thanx bro..there real different..but idk i kinda like em
Old 12-26-2006, 01:59 AM   #11
RSXo
The Fit is Go

RSXo is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
nice imma do mine gold during my break, thanks for the tips guys
RSXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:27 AM   #12
secretpickle
FS: K20A2 Head (C Sig)

secretpickle is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Torque those suckers down w/a torque wrench. VERY IMPORTANT! You DO NOT want some shitty warped hubs now do u?

Matt
secretpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
LOW TRQ
My torque is low like

LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore
LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore LOW TRQ is a hardcore rep whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretpickle View Post
Torque those suckers down w/a torque wrench. VERY IMPORTANT! You DO NOT want some shitty warped hubs now do u?

Matt
LOW TRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #14
SaCH
baby buffett

SaCH is on a distinguished road
im sorry but....light green on silver?

maybe on etreme setups but thats just gonna look freakin weird.

"In life and business, there are two cardinal sins.. The first is to act precipitously without thought and the second is to not act at all." -Carl Icahn
SaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
MKpoto
Formerly Trvotypes

MKpoto is on a distinguished road
nice write up.. i cant wait to see the green
Top Down Crew#2
FUTURE: E92 M3/335I/135I SO BUY MY CAR!
Current: FOR SALE!! 05 NFR Honda S2000
Past:03 Acura Rsx Type S Turbo 300whp 210tq on 7.5 Greddy- SOLD
MKpoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
satinsilverk20a2
i love light house

satinsilverk20a2 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
why the fuck would you paint ur rims green
satinsilverk20a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #17
satinsilverk20a2
i love light house

satinsilverk20a2 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
not to be a dick or anything dude, but after more thought, why the fuck would you paint ur rims green!??!!?! the wrx will look sick, but chances are you're gonna be like wtf did i do that for and have to paint em all over again. why not bright orange?!
satinsilverk20a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #18
tdurden88

tdurden88 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
dude sweet guide... IDK bout green also. I feel like it's not gonna be that tight, but I'll reserve judgment until some pics...but lets seem them pics of them on the car playa.
tdurden88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 AM   #19
Nino
11.88 @ 120 mph

Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
shouldnt you wet sand the rims so the paint sticks? and then some primer coat?
Boost Slut Krew Member #6
My Build Show-Off DIY Carputer Fuel Return Setup
09 Space Gray M3
Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:52 AM   #20
Aco512
Master Member

Aco512 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall Out Boy View Post
shouldnt you wet sand the rims so the paint sticks? and then some primer coat?
your right, i think you at least have to prime it

-dont forget to put cardboard or something under the wheels to catch the paint
Aco512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #21
mquster316

sorry on the delay on the pics i was doin the holiday things..but heres a few an the rest imma make a thread in member show off..enjoy...gimme sum honest opinions.....

Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
Nino
11.88 @ 120 mph

Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Nino must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
i want to make love explosion on those rims. will make good for sexy time?
Boost Slut Krew Member #6
My Build Show-Off DIY Carputer Fuel Return Setup
09 Space Gray M3
Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #23
mquster316

lol glad ya like em : )
Old 01-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #24
mwolbaum

mwolbaum is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Good DIY.......Odd Color choice
mwolbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #25
asdff
yup

asdff is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
shoulda did center caps w/ a taped off too

and needs a drop

but damn that stands out, and i like it lol

and i can't believe you guys left the car on jacks and scissor jacks wtf O_O jackstands okay, but... jacks? risky, no?