Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc. *Parts list* - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX (Base)
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
remix
Master Member

remix is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Post Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc. *Parts list*

A month later, I finally finished my base auto to 5-speed conversion. K24 build in the future perhaps?

Anyways, here's a list of the parts you need to convert your base auto to a 5-speed/Type-S/etc. Hopefully this answers alot of questions that people have regarding this process since I was in the same boat a couple months back.

I'll update this list with the minor bolts and clips as I look through my receipts for this entire project. I'll put in the part numbers for each individual piece this weekend when I have some free time but for now, here's the list for the big stuff.

Main Parts (If you're doing a K20A2 swap, there's some additional stuff you need)
- K20A3 Transmission (EP3 or Base. I went with an EP3 transmission since it is better geared than the base)
- K20A3 ECU (Base 5SPD)
- K20A3 5-Speed Wiring Harness (Get one for your specific generation)
- Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel (Base, Type-S or Type-R all work but do not mix and match. This means you can't use a Base Flywheel with a Type-S Clutch and Pressure Plate)
- Shifter cables (02 to 06. Any year is fine)
- Shifter assembly (02 to 06. Any model is fine)
- Clutch and Brake pedals (Gas pedal can be reused)
- Clutch Master and Clutch Slave Cylinders (You will also need: the 2 hardlines and 2 softlines that run in-between as well as the two brackets that mount one of the softlines to the back of the transmission)
- Half-Shaft (5-Speed or Type-S)
- Center Console Garnish
- Manual Transmission Bracket
- Manual Transmission Motor Mount

Covers and Trays (The automatic ones do not fit, hence the need to replace a couple pieces)
- Splash Guard
- Flywheel Cover
- Half-shaft Cover

ON THE AUTOMATIC, YOU WILL NEED TO FIND A CUSTOM FABRICATOR TO FABRICATE A BRACKET FOR THE DRIVER SIDE MOTOR MOUNT. I went to M1 Fabrication & Design in Buena Park, CA and had mine done for $350. I would recommend you to get a bracket made instead of a custom motor mount since that might become a problem if your motor mount ever tore or you wanted to upgrade to the Innovative mounts. PLEASE REFER TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR PICS AND EXPLANATIONS

Optional Parts
- New Gauge Cluster (If you want to get rid of the Automatic LEDs)
- Shifter cable insulation

Type-S (K20A2) Swap
*I'll update this section when I'm certain of what's required beyond the stuff I listed above*

Most of the bolts are reusable. However, it's always a good idea to pick up a few extra clips (especially for the cowl when you install the clutch master cylinder) to replace the ones you break.

Suggestions and Recommendations
As you all can tell, this process is undoubtedly pretty lengthy. It's probably a good idea to futureproof your investment then (and to save yourself some work in the future). I had this mentality during the swap and ended up picking up the following to save myself from having to spend time to install these "upgrade" parts.

1) Buddy Club Short Shifter (Shorter throws. 'nuff said)
2) Speed-Source Shifter Assembly Metal Bushings (The OEM ones are rubber and are prone to mushiness)
3) Speed-Source Shifter Cable Metal Bushings (The OEM ones are rubber and feel pretty crappy overall compared to these metal ones)

Also, it isn't a bad idea to consider picking up a set of ESMMs because you'll not only be removing individual motor mounts once you pull the motor to attach the transmission but will also be pulling the complete subframe as well.

For those who are wondering about the cost:

My estimated total cost for doing all of this is around $2600 since I returned some stuff I accidentally picked up in the process. This includes parts and labor. From the brand new EP3 tranny with 0 miles, no grinds, etc. to the new clutch and flywheel and what not.

You definitely could do alot better than me. I saved about $2400 from the last guy that did it and I still overpaid on some items (like my ECU that I dropped $300 on since I was strapped for time). Don't rush into this project and take your time and you probably could do it for less than I did.

Pictures of the REQUIRED Custom Fabricated Motor Mount Bracket

The picture above is what a regular base 5-speed or Type-S comes equip with. The bracket that the motor mount is attached to is what the automatics are missing. This is mainly because the frame rail (which also has a different part number) differs between automatics and manuals.

This is proof that there is no way to mount the manual transmission motor mount onto the stock automatic frame rail. It comes up way too short.

Therefore, you need to have a custom fabrication made. This way you can attach the manual transmission motor mount onto the custom made bracket without having to purchase the entire driverside framerail for a manual transmission DC5.

Last edited by remix; 03-12-2008 at 05:28 PM..
remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
jaguer8
(_) ( l :) (.-.) (: l )

jaguer8 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
badass dude...sounds like you got it done for real cheap as well...congrats
jaguer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
03DSM-RSX

03DSM-RSX has a clean start 03DSM-RSX has a clean start 03DSM-RSX has a clean start
wow good stuff!

about the motor mount, i'm curious, couldnt you just used a MT tranny mount instead of getting a custom made one?

03DSM-RSX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
remix
Master Member

Oops. Forgot to include those. You have to use the MT tranny bracket as well as the motor mount. Main reason is because the frame rail that the motor mount attaches to is different for automatics and manuals (5spd, type-s). Instead of ordering the entire frame rail from Honda/Acura ($400ish for just parts when I looked), I just went and found a fabricator to fabricate and weld an adapter/bracket for the MT motor mount to bolt onto. I'll take some pics later to show you guys.

Can't believe I forgot that since that was like my biggest obstacle haha.

Updated that list.

Last edited by remix; 01-28-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
KiiD2X

KiiD2X is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
WoW, Thats really cheap...People mine as well buy a basic and do this process and it will be like having a brand new and cheaper type-s. Lol, Amazing man!!!
KiiD2X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
remix
Master Member

Really depends from person to person. My buddy Reborn said it best in the other thread that I posted in, it costs about the same in the end. Dealerships are inflating the price of the car nowadays anyways.

I'll just say this early since I know it'll be asked ("Why didn't you just trade in your car and pay the difference?"). I went through with this cause this car's got too much sentimental value haha. It's been through alot since the minute it got purchased from Weir Canyon Acura in 2003 to where it is now.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Need4SpeedRSX
Autocross Maniac

Need4SpeedRSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Question... I'm looking to do the same thing to my base auto... where did you find a brand new EP3 tranny?!?!?

I've been looking everywhere for an inexpensive priced tranny
Need4SpeedRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
CPU
Master Member

CPU is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Did you do any of the swap yourself, or did the labor (included in the $2400) cover it all?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Demise One
Master Member

Demise One is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
wow. good shyt remix
Demise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
rainDC5
qwerty

rainDC5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
wow not as expensive as some said it would be
good job
rainDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
remix
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPU View Post
Did you do any of the swap yourself, or did the labor (included in the $2400) cover it all?
Nope. Didn't do any of the labor with the exception of a few things but anyone who can follow simple pictures/directions could have done those.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
AzianK
Modelrator

AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList
AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList AzianK needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList
wow kool write up man this is def goin to be real useful for those who wants to do a manual swap or even a type s swap. nice write up indeed
Zombie Eradication Team Member #27

HASK Infamous Anime Crew Viet Crew CRSX Mod Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_02
I'm surprised you even drink coffee

With it being black and all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith
khoa would throw the whole viet crew into oncoming traffic if a white girl asked him to.
AzianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
kramerbuccs24
b0000000000st

kramerbuccs24 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiiD2X View Post
WoW, Thats really cheap...People mine as well buy a basic and do this process and it will be like having a brand new and cheaper type-s. Lol, Amazing man!!!
First of all, it's "might", not "mine, and "base", not "basic".

Second, there is an incredible difference in the engines of a base and Type-S, so there is absolutely no comparison between this type of a swap and a Type-S.

And he put in a 5 Speed, so his car is basically exactly the same as a base 5 Speed, so I have no idea why you are comparing this to a Type-S.

To the TS, great work! Yeah, you probably could have done it for a little cheaper, but after looking at the parts list and then the price, you did pretty well.

"Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness is the corner"
kramerbuccs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
KiiD2X

KiiD2X is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
^^^ Shut up dude your a fucking hater!!! Last time I checked the thread said "Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc".............I must've not seen that correctly, Hmm, My vision might be off but that looks like it says Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc, If it does say that than let me know....BUT IN THE MEAN WHILE GOOD JOB REMIX!!! POST PICTURES!!!
KiiD2X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
-_James_-
Master Member

-_James_- is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
^^^ Shut up dude your a fucking hater!!! Last time I checked the thread said "Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc".............I must've not seen that correctly, Hmm, My vision might be off but that looks like it says Converting your Base Auto to Manual/Type-S/etc, If it does say that than let me know....BUT IN THE MEAN WHILE GOOD JOB REMIX!!! POST PICTURES!!!
Read his entire write up next time to avoid these situations.
-_James_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
jaguer8
(_) ( l :) (.-.) (: l )

jaguer8 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
lol you are an idiot...did you even read the thread?

he was correcting your grammar, your lack of reading ability and common sense

lol but way to pwn yourself, got a laugh out of me
jaguer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
white_DC5

white_DC5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Nice write up, I just PM'ed you about this also haha...may I ask what shop in socal you went to that did the labor?
white_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Where's a good place to find a Base 5 speed? I dont see any in the classifieds section. I want the base for the final drive, then swap in a TSX 6th for ultimate gas mileage.
CrazyInteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
bLaCkDC5NJ
DC5

bLaCkDC5NJ is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
wow, great thread. this is exactly what i was looking for.
400hp @11psi
bLaCkDC5NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Dripto
Elite

Dripto is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
dont the TSX and 06+ si share the same 6th gear?
Dripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #21
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
This is why you need some custom mount fabbing done or welding a piece to the frame. This is a base 5speed mount in his base auto chassis:

the base 5 speed has a piece of metal welded there on the chassis so the mount can bolt up. next time i have my airbox out i will snap a pic of mine (base 5 speed) and edit this post to show both.

and let's keep the stupid ass bickering to a minimum, this thread should be stickied and used as a resource for many years

Last edited by Reborn; 07-02-2014 at 12:45 AM..
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #22
CPU
Master Member

CPU is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I motiont that this thread be stickied, or at least linked in the sticky.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #23
Muki
From B to K

Muki is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Hah! Where the hell was this thread a couple of days ago and why didn't the search function bring this up? ...Nice write up, I could have used this when I was looking at an Auto, but instead got a 5spd.

FS: Spoon Front Strut Bar NBP Low wingPioneer AVH-P570006 S Full Exhaust skunk2 Shift Knob
Muki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #24
unKn0wn:
\(^^\)

unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx unKn0wn: might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPU View Post
I motiont that this thread be stickied, or at least linked in the sticky.
unKn0wn: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
sharpy rsx
instagram:SLOWRSX

sharpy rsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
nice job.. im almost done my 5 speed swap.. all im waiting for is the ECU.. looks good man.
sharpy rsx is offline   Reply With Quote