DIY Taillight Gasket Replacement (Water in Trunk Fix) - Page 4 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #76
twis
At work.

twis is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNgKeVz View Post
just ordered my parts... this seems to be a HUGE issue with this car! everyones got the same problem!

what tools do i need? if someone can list them out that would be great!
just screwdrivers really. and wrenches. forget the sizes but if you have a set, youre good. and your hands, youll use your hands a lot lol

NY YANKEES 2012
twis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #77
KiNgKeVz
KiNg oF BkLyN

KiNgKeVz is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
also

is it possible to remove the taillight housing without removing the bumper?? seems like a REALLY REALLY un-necessary task!!!

if so, let me know!

parts came so im doing this on sat!
KiNgKeVz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #78
_Gex_
Michael Brown wannabe

_Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
you have to take the bumper off, atleast on an 02-04 because the taillights are attached to the brackets and to remove the screws you need the bumper off, it takes like 5 minutes its just like 3 screws on both sides and the two clips in the middle
_Gex_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #79

75531 gets around and is known
75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known 75531 gets around and is known
holy shit i am glad i found this thread. My car got flooded the other day (not bad, just halfway across one side of the car.. no biggie)... and ive got the whole interior gutted so i could steam clean everything and i also wanted to address my leaky hatch... i didnt think the gaskets could be bad.. but sure enough.. looks like thats what it is =-\. Just ordered them and a new left tail light bracket (had some damage in the rear of my car but got it fixed) and i cant wait to have this shit fixed because it rains a lot here in new orleans
75531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #80
twis
At work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAtypeS View Post
holy shit i am glad i found this thread. My car got flooded the other day (not bad, just halfway across one side of the car.. no biggie)... and ive got the whole interior gutted so i could steam clean everything and i also wanted to address my leaky hatch... i didnt think the gaskets could be bad.. but sure enough.. looks like thats what it is =-\. Just ordered them and a new left tail light bracket (had some damage in the rear of my car but got it fixed) and i cant wait to have this shit fixed because it rains a lot here in new orleans
yea man this is very common, it sucks but its a simple fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gex_ View Post
you have to take the bumper off, atleast on an 02-04 because the taillights are attached to the brackets and to remove the screws you need the bumper off, it takes like 5 minutes its just like 3 screws on both sides and the two clips in the middle
same with 05-06, and true, it is simple to take the bumper off, just a couple of clips, screws and you pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNgKeVz View Post
is it possible to remove the taillight housing without removing the bumper?? seems like a REALLY REALLY un-necessary task!!!

if so, let me know!

parts came so im doing this on sat!
yea you have to, but its easy. search for the rear bumper removal DIY

NY YANKEES 2012
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #81
plumcrazebody

plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
guess i gotta do this too... got an aquarium in my trunk too. i also am probably gonna pull the back seat out and the leather off of the seat foam to treat it for mildew. it is starting to smell. anyone got any other suggestions?
plumcrazebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #82
autoenthusiast24
Banned

autoenthusiast24 has a clean start autoenthusiast24 has a clean start autoenthusiast24 has a clean start
I did the hardcore DIY on this.. instead of replacing tail light gaskets I put some silicone gasket material all over them and bolted tail lights back on to dry.. hasn't leaked since
autoenthusiast24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #83
twis
At work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazebody View Post
guess i gotta do this too... got an aquarium in my trunk too. i also am probably gonna pull the back seat out and the leather off of the seat foam to treat it for mildew. it is starting to smell. anyone got any other suggestions?
wow...well the back of my seats never got wet and smelled. the underside of my seats kind of got wet but not the backs. i guess you have the right idea about the mildew treatment but be careful not to ruin the leather i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast24 View Post
I did the hardcore DIY on this.. instead of replacing tail light gaskets I put some silicone gasket material all over them and bolted tail lights back on to dry.. hasn't leaked since
nice haha...what kind of silicone material? do you have pics?

NY YANKEES 2012
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #84
plumcrazebody

plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plumcrazebody is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by twis View Post
wow...well the back of my seats never got wet and smelled. the underside of my seats kind of got wet but not the backs. i guess you have the right idea about the mildew treatment but be careful not to ruin the leather i guess.

the backs werent wet... just the bottom. my mistake, im just going to use a water bleach mix on the padding and allow it to set in the sun for a day or so to let the bleach evaporate out. the leather im just going to clean the best i can with an antibacterial soap and re-condition it with lexol conditioner. I am just hoping it hasnt caused the leather to deteriorate yet.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #85
mrblt02

mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mrblt02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have a little water now, but nice write up. I will def. fix back there when it gets a little warmer here!
mrblt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #86
autoenthusiast24
Banned

autoenthusiast24 has a clean start autoenthusiast24 has a clean start autoenthusiast24 has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by twis View Post
It was actually some all purpose sensor safe gasket material from CarQuest.. comes in a toothpaste style tube, it's very universal stuff lol.. no pics but it's very straightforward/pretty much impossible to mess up.
autoenthusiast24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #87
Blue_type_s
Got V-Tak?

Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Blue_type_s is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Would regular clear silicone work as well? Seems like that is a better idea then buying a new gasket that leaks within a year or 2
Blue_type_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #88
DC5Demon
IDriveRichBoyCivic HERRO

DC5Demon is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Ok so i replaced min in august, and im sure everything got sealed again. I mean come on how could your really mess up installing these. My cars new CC clutch blew outafter 2 months, (whole nother story) so its been sitting for liek the last 3-4months. and i pop the truck annnd...

with the new seals WHAT THE FUUUU!
08 R6 Raven (SOLD)
05 BOM SOLD...227WHP/163LBFT DYNO Vid.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHnoSubiPIM
DC5Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #89
plumcrazebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Demon View Post
Ok so i replaced min in august, and im sure everything got sealed again. I mean come on how could your really mess up installing these. My cars new CC clutch blew outafter 2 months, (whole nother story) so its been sitting for liek the last 3-4months. and i pop the truck annnd...

yeah, that is what gets me too... mine didnt start leaking til after an accident i got in when i got run off the road and eff'd up a lot of $h!+. Basically in a nut shell, what happened was a pickup pulled out in front of me and there was a car next to me. the pickup had PVC pine hangin out the back and face level with me so rather than getting impailed in the face with pipe, i swirved off the road and ran up and over the side curb. bent a rim, eff'd up the rear struts and rear sway bar bushings, ripped out the inner passenger fender, almost completely ripping off the front bumper and mud guard and also ruined two tires and both the rear upper control arm/camber kits. i am hoping the leak is still coming from the taillights because when the painter painted, he did both querter panels and the back bumper cuz the tires pushed out the fenders and bumper so he pulled the taillights. i tried to tighten them but it is still leaking. i might try the silicone trick.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #90
chadeck

chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chadeck is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I had this happen to my '96 TL, glad to know what it was finally, I thought the spare tire compartment was bad. It was so frustrating trying to get all of this shit out.
chadeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #91
SilverK20

SilverK20 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I followed this guide and about 2 weeks later I had a puddle of water in my trunk again. I decided to look further into it, searched online high and low. What I found is the air vent which is located behind the rear tire and behind the rear bumper was leaking. You have to take the rear bumper off to get to this. I gutted my whole trunk interior and I found a puddle of water behind the left side if you're looking into the trunk, followed it and I found the air vent. I don't know how it was leaking in but I hope this helps some other people, you can buy a replacement vent for about $20 shipped online, I got mine from acuraofconcord.com.

Good luck
SilverK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #92
plumcrazebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverK20 View Post
I followed this guide and about 2 weeks later I had a puddle of water in my trunk again. I decided to look further into it, searched online high and low. What I found is the air vent which is located behind the rear tire and behind the rear bumper was leaking. You have to take the rear bumper off to get to this. I gutted my whole trunk interior and I found a puddle of water behind the left side if you're looking into the trunk, followed it and I found the air vent. I don't know how it was leaking in but I hope this helps some other people, you can buy a replacement vent for about $20 shipped online, I got mine from acuraofconcord.com.

Good luck
that's exactly where I have water. Gonna try that this weekend
Old 12-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #93
plumcrazebody

actually i went ahead and replaced the taillight gaskets because all inside the rear of the car the taillights were wet and i could see where it was running down to the driver side quarter panel. Actually i just went to Hobby Lobby and bought a sheet of 18" x 12" foam sheet and traced my gaskets and cut them out. It was a $1.06 including tax, as apposed to almost $30 for both at Acura. I was able to do both gaskets with the one sheet. I also tapped a tiny hole right by the mount for the spare tire to drain the back and filled it with silicone so if it happens again, i can keep the water out until it is fixed.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #94
captainanarchy35

captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
NIce man thanks a lot you just cured my headache im going to do this asap but do you guys think this DIY also applies to the 2006 acura rsx type s
captainanarchy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #95
captainanarchy35

captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Demon View Post

Damn That sucks this thing should be like somekind of recall or something its really ridiculous now im hesitant to replace the gaskets if the same thing is going to happen again
Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #96
captainanarchy35

Dose any one know where to purchase these gaskets for 06 rsx type s
Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #97
plumcrazebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainanarchy35 View Post
Dose any one know where to purchase these gaskets for 06 rsx type s
I went to Michaels Arts & Crafts and found some foam sheets made out of the same material. when i took mine off, I just used the old one as a stencil and then cut it out. I wish i would have taken some pics so you could see... but the gaskets are like $25 a piece where i only paid 99 cent for a peice of foam board and it was big enough for two gaskets.

anyway, here is the link so you know what i am talkin about:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=gc1328
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #98
JSin

JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I just completed this with my 05 RSX Type S because I had a leak from the right tail-light. The gaskets that I got from acuraoemparts.com had adhesive on the side facing the vehicle. I assume this is to prevent this problem from occurring over and over like some have reported. I hope so, or else it will just make replacing them down the road that much more difficult.

Water in the tail light is a good indicator of a bad gasket from what I saw. My lights didnt have the lower screws that required the removal of the bumper (although I didn't realize this until after I removed the bumper). Maybe they were lost on past repairs. Thanks to the TS for this, let's hope it works.

With the adhesive, the gaskets are specific to the side, but I ordered two and got a R and L (as marked on the gasket). I used a hair dryer to get the water out of the tail light (but it took a while).

Last edited by JSin; 02-15-2010 at 03:36 PM..
JSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #99
_Gex_
Michael Brown wannabe

_Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx _Gex_ is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i did this a while back 4 months or something, my gaskets were both lets and right and had no adesive backing to them, i guess theyre improved, and my left light had no screws either in the bracket from an accident repair, idiots put back my bumper with a fucking screw instead of replacing the brocken tab holder thing

RSX Retrofits - Click for tha Flicka!!
_Gex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #100
DC5Demon
IDriveRichBoyCivic HERRO

DC5Demon is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
For now i just drilled holes...doesn't really help the wet carpet thought FTL
08 R6 Raven (SOLD)
05 BOM SOLD...227WHP/163LBFT DYNO Vid.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHnoSubiPIM
DC5Demon is offline   Reply With Quote