DIY Taillight Gasket Replacement (Water in Trunk Fix) - Page 5 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #101
ek99civic
06 JGM Type S

ek99civic is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Demon View Post
For now i just drilled holes...doesn't really help the wet carpet thought FTL
Just take off the taillights, rear bumper removal is not required, although you need to take 2 screws off from under the car where the taillight bracket is.
Then buy some foam sheets from Wal-mart of any other arts and crafts store. They are about 50 cents each and I only used 3.
Dry out the taillights, cut the foam pieces to fit and your done. Too easy to not do it yourself or put it off.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #102
DC5Demon
IDriveRichBoyCivic HERRO

DC5Demon is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
LoL i think that taking the bumper of is just as easy lol...
08 R6 Raven (SOLD)
05 BOM SOLD...227WHP/163LBFT DYNO Vid.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHnoSubiPIM
DC5Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #103
vertigo_90250

vertigo_90250 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I had the same problem but the water would go inside my lights and cause lots of condensation which would look very bad in my 05. I bought some weather stripping from Auto zone to seal the gap between the lights and the body of the car and so far its working good....
vertigo_90250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #104
DC6auto

DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC6auto is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I got the same condensation problem with my 05 base this year. If it gets worse I'll seal them up like you did.
DC6auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #105
JSin

JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Demon View Post
LoL i think that taking the bumper of is just as easy lol...
Yeah, the bumper removal is not difficult. Better to do it right and see everything I think.
JSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #106
ek99civic
06 JGM Type S

ek99civic is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSin View Post
Yeah, the bumper removal is not difficult. Better to do it right and see everything I think.
All you have are 2 screws ea side down there. There would be nothing to do "wrong" w/o taking the bumper off.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #107
captainanarchy35

captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx captainanarchy35 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSin View Post
I just completed this with my 05 RSX Type S because I had a leak from the right tail-light. The gaskets that I got from acuraoemparts.com had adhesive on the side facing the vehicle. I assume this is to prevent this problem from occurring over and over like some have reported. I hope so, or else it will just make replacing them down the road that much more difficult.

Water in the tail light is a good indicator of a bad gasket from what I saw. My lights didnt have the lower screws that required the removal of the bumper (although I didn't realize this until after I removed the bumper). Maybe they were lost on past repairs. Thanks to the TS for this, let's hope it works.

With the adhesive, the gaskets are specific to the side, but I ordered two and got a R and L (as marked on the gasket). I used a hair dryer to get the water out of the tail light (but it took a while).
You by any chance wouldnt have the part number or something is the 02-04 model the same gasket
captainanarchy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #108
JSin

JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JSin is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainanarchy35 View Post
You by any chance wouldnt have the part number or something is the 02-04 model the same gasket
Should be at the beginning of the thread. The TS has a 02-04. If you are referring to the gasket that I received with adhesive, no, I just ordered the recommended part from page two from acuraoemparts and it came that way.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #109
jsinher3

jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jsinher3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i was attempting to do this DIY brought the gaskets and everything but curse the MA weather conditions when i got to work on the rear the tail light brackets were all rusted in i couldnt get the screws out i pb blasted/wd40 the shit out of them and only got 1 screw out and snap a bolt... any suggestions on how to change the gaskets or removing the tail lights orr just getting ride of the water permanently?
jsinher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #110
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
im going to do this later on this week when its not raining..^^^^if you could somehow get silicone and spray it onto the backside of the light that might help the problem..im not sure though cause i havent taken my bumper off in a while and i dont remember if theres room back there to do this
andersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #111
nikhillah
Brown Member

nikhillah is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
the best fix for this problem (tried and true from an EM2, to prelude, to my old 06 base)

remove tails
replace with new gaskets...maybe even layer up with the old ones
apply silicone grease on all protrusions that go through the gasket
1st Whip: 1994 Black Toyota Camry - sold

FS THREAD: Base K20A3 I + RH + Extras
nikhillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #112
jimbo24
fudgesickle

jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jimbo24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
would it be safe to double-stack gaskets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnagooyen View Post
It's a game of relativity. Just because you can't afford them does not make them expensive.
jimbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #113
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhillah View Post
the best fix for this problem (tried and true from an EM2, to prelude, to my old 06 base)

remove tails
replace with new gaskets...maybe even layer up with the old ones
apply silicone grease on all protrusions that go through the gasket
people have been saying that just replacing the gaskets has not been working for them though so im just going to seal around the old ones with silicone
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #114
farrahm1313

farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx farrahm1313 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
My driver side tail light as well as my spare tire area are full of water and mold.

I love love love my 06 type s but seeing all these ongoing posts is really starting to piss me off.

Why won't or hasn't Acura done anything about this? Clearly its a manu defect since there are cars from 02-06 having the SAME FREAKING PROBLEM! Where's the recall????
farrahm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #115
M_nus

M_nus is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo24 View Post
would it be safe to double-stack gaskets?
Someone already asked that a while ago. There's really no point in doing that.
M_nus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #116
Drewpreme
( ‾ʖ̫‾)

Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top
Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top
just did this for a friends car no monday. very easy job and the gaskets come with an adhesive backing that goes towards the body of the car.
Drewpreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #117
JSin

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrahm1313 View Post
My driver side tail light as well as my spare tire area are full of water and mold.

I love love love my 06 type s but seeing all these ongoing posts is really starting to piss me off.

Why won't or hasn't Acura done anything about this? Clearly its a manu defect since there are cars from 02-06 having the SAME FREAKING PROBLEM! Where's the recall????
I agree, but in terms of problems this is a pretty easy fix. An hour and $40 for some new gaskets and problem solved.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #118
bsw845
DeeSheeFivu

bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Same problem here. Water in the tail lights on both sides and a little in the trunk bay after the last week of rain. Called my local delearship here in Sac (NielloAcura.com) and told him about the problem. My 05-S is out of warranty but only has 28k miles on it. He said he would touch base with his Acura rep to see if they can do a "good-will" repair on it even though it is out of warranty. I'm waiting for him to call me back to tell me the good news (I hope). Crossing my fingers...

If not, I will use the OP helpful DIY. Thanks for posting that...
bsw845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #119
luk2004
Master Member

luk2004 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Washed my 05 today and noticed condensation on the passenger rear tail light. I took the bumper off and noticed the gasket had a lot of dirt and grime on it. I just cleaned it off and will put it back on once it dries out and see how that goes. Why did Acura chose a foam gasket vs rubber?
Motorcycle Crew #599
luk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #120
bsw845
DeeSheeFivu

bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsw845 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw845 View Post
Same problem here. Water in the tail lights on both sides and a little in the trunk bay after the last week of rain. Called my local delearship here in Sac (NielloAcura.com) and told him about the problem. My 05-S is out of warranty but only has 28k miles on it. He said he would touch base with his Acura rep to see if they can do a "good-will" repair on it even though it is out of warranty. I'm waiting for him to call me back to tell me the good news (I hope). Crossing my fingers...

If not, I will use the OP helpful DIY. Thanks for posting that...
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.
bsw845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #121
Slicktittles

Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Slicktittles is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Or instead of doing all that, you simply drill a hole at the lowest part so the water constantly drains out...simple, free, and guaranteed to work forever.
Slicktittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #122
andersmb
Master Member

^^truth..i did this as an extra to adding my own gaskets that i cut out of foam i bought at walmart for $1.00

but clearly people like spending more money than they have to on things..hence why everyone buys mugen shit when the only difference is $40 and 2-3 weeks extra for shipping cause it comes from Japan
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #123
luk2004
Master Member

luk2004 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsw845 View Post
UPDATE: Acura called me back, said they would swap out the rear light housing for the updated ones but only if I pay $160 of the $700 job (not sure if it really costs this much???). Not a bad offer since I'm out of warranty but enough for me try this DIY first to see if that resolves the leak.
You can get the taillight assemblies for like $160 each and its very easy to take the bumper off and put the new taillights on. At most a 1hr job. I can't see how they would say its $700.
Motorcycle Crew #599
luk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #124
JSin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmb View Post
but clearly people like spending more money than they have to on things
I don't let spending more money that I have to, but I will spend money on the correct gasket instead of cutting one out myself from materials from Walmart that have a far more likelihood of leaking.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #125
andersmb
Master Member

same materials used as the factory gasket and i'll use silicone adhesive to attach it to the gasket and keep it from leaking