Wheres the DIY guide to flush the brake fluid? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
pk8929

pk8929 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Wheres the DIY guide to flush the brake fluid?

Anybody know how to do this? like a complete flush and refill?
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
SF_RSX-S
SupA FlY......

SF_RSX-S is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i would also like to know
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
mxlu
HONDA PACT

mxlu is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
1. stir up the dirty fluid in the master cylinder with a screw driver or something and then use a turkey baster to suck up out all the fluids along with the contaminates.
2. once done fill it up with new fluid.
3. close the lid and have your buddy jump in and pump the brakes a few times slowly until the pedal gets stiff.
4. open the bleeder screw and at the same time have your buddy push down on the pedal, once the pedal is all the way down, close the bleeder screw.
5. repeat step 3-4 until the fluid looks clean (should take about 3-5 tries).
*also make sure you check the brake reservoir from time to time and make sure the brake fluid doesnt get low, if so just add more clean fluid.
6. keep doing steps 3-5 on all the calipers.

*bleeding sequence LF, RF, RR, LR
*its better if you use clear tubing when bleeding/flushing the brakes.
*always use DOT3 brake fluid, preferably honda genuine DOT3 brake fluid.
*you really shouldnt need any more than 3 bottles of brake fluid (honda bottles).
*throw away any remaining open bottles brake fluid because it is very hygroscopic.
*clean any spills of brake fluid immediately with water, it will eat up your paint if you dont.

Last edited by mxlu; 04-18-2008 at 12:35 AM..
mxlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
SF_RSX-S
SupA FlY......

SF_RSX-S is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
sounds good.. thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Stitch
Soup to nuts

Stitch is on a distinguished road
You need to do something with the abs system to activate it so that it goes from the abs back to the master cylinder.
These kids don't even know about 5th and 6th gear pulls.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
stryker
OG Member

stryker is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxlu View Post
1. stir up the dirty fluid in the master cylinder with a
I would use an "oil pump"

This is much more efficient and less ghetto than turkey baster. They could be found at any auto parts store for a few bucks.
stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
pk8929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
You need to do something with the abs system to activate it so that it goes from the abs back to the master cylinder.
Anybody know what to do this??
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
pk8929

???
Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Projekt Pat
Master Member

Projekt Pat is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Shouldn't the sequence for bleeding brake calipers start with the farthest caliper from the master cylinder? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it: RR, LR, RF, and LF?

Thinking of doing this today and want to do it right without any bubbles.
Projekt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Blown_Type_S
Special K

Blown_Type_S is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt Pat View Post
Shouldn't the sequence for bleeding brake calipers start with the farthest caliper from the master cylinder? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it: RR, LR, RF, and LF?

That's the standard way of bleeding the brakes, but the above mentioned procedure is straight from the Helm. Maybe it has to do with ABS. I heard of people doing it both ways and workin fine.
Blown_Type_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
mxlu
HONDA PACT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
no you dont need a ALB checker or pgm tester to activate the abs pump because we have a compact design, it is only required for older cars that have type like 2-7 and 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt Pat View Post

the bleeding sequence is based on the helms and honda online service manual. it might be do to the abs configuration that is why you start with front driver.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
toofastforyou

toofastforyou is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
if any one can tell me what the diffrence is between bleeding and actually flushing and refilling the brake system. Cause when u bleed, the old fluid will come pouring out untll there are no more bubbles but would it be smarter to keep going until all the old fluid is replaced by new fluid. and how much (quantity in mL) fluid does it take or would I need to do this procedure, Im using honda premium fluid for the rsx s and I have two bottles (354mL each) is that enough?
Also is it better to do this the traditional way with a friend to assist me or attempt to do this on my own with some kind of tool/equipment? Ive read all kinds of versions on how to do this and still I a little confused on the exact way to proceed.
toofastforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
mxlu
HONDA PACT

yes its better to flush out the system rather then bleed it but if your fluid isnt dirty there is no reason to flush it.

two bottles should be enough just dont get carried away when bleeding each caliper once you start seeing clean fluid coming out then you should be set.

i prefer the have a friend in the car method because it seems it does a better job. when you have your buddy push on the brakes make sure he doesnt push the pedal all the way down to the floor cause it can damage the master cylinder, just go down 1/2 or 3/4 the way til it gets stiff.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
toofastforyou

did u use a clear hose(plastic tube) ,one end installed on the bleeder screw and the other end submerged in some clean break fluid or water and all placed within a clear bottle?
and once u depress the break pedal as the bleeder screw is open wont the pedal under the assistants foot lose all pressure and quickly sink to the floor it wont get stiff like u said.

but if i understand what ure trying to say its that if the bleeder screw is closed the pedal will stiffen after a few pumps and if the bleeder screw is open then the pedal will quickly lose its pressure and like i said before it sink to the floor. That means something should be placed under the brake pedal in order to prevent the pedal from reaching and making contact with the floor. maybe a peaceof wood or something like that.

Does all this make sense to u?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
toofastforyou

come on guys i really need the info to get this job startedand done the right way because messing up when flushing the brake fluid system can have many consequences.
like no more brakes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
RSX FSU

RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk8929 View Post
Anybody know how to do this? like a complete flush and refill?
its under search
RSX FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
mxlu
HONDA PACT

just dont let it go down to the floor when pumping but when you relieve the pressure just let it sink til the pedal stops.

the procedures are in the attachment.
ACE - 0.pdf
Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
stylesp
Suh dude

stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx stylesp might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
laughing at the lack of knowledge in this thread

its RR,LR,RF,LF. and you don't have to do shit to the abs since it carries no fluid. fuck what the helms manual says doing it this way allows the clean fluid to get through the system alot faster.
stylesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
DomSim
no longer blown ;(

DomSim is on a distinguished road DomSim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxlu View Post
just dont let it go down to the floor when pumping but when you relieve the pressure just let it sink til the pedal stops.

the procedures are in the attachment.
Attachment 310061
where did you get a pdf of a service manual for 06 rsx?
eidt: nevermind, see its alldata not the helms. `
DomSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #20
mxlu
HONDA PACT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomSim View Post
where did you get a pdf of a service manual for 06 rsx?
eidt: nevermind, see its alldata not the helms. `
all the stuff on alldata is scans of the helms.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #21
jopanet
Master Member

jopanet is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
the bleeding sequence really doesnt matter
if you want super duper stopping use a dot 4 fluid
dont let the master cylinder go dry
its really not hard
jopanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Redline10000
Thats my shorty

Redline10000 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
hey guys dumb question but what color should clean fluid b? I checked mine today and it was pretty dark and it was about 1 inch below the max line. Is that bad?
303whp 268lb/tq @ 14.5psi D-rob tuned
Redline10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
harpersx
----------------

harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx harpersx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
Ya dude you may want to change out that brake fluid as soon as possible. Clean fluid is pretty clear or it may have a slight yellow tint to it and the older it gets the darker it is. Dark fluid means it's time for a change.
harpersx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #24
GNX

GNX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
The safest bet is to flush all the old fluid out of all the lines. Even though only the fluid at the res is exposed to air possibly, over time the moisture may leach down into the rest of the fluid, and that is what we're really concerned with, the moisture that brake fluid absorbs. Moisture in the brake fluid of course lowers the boiling point of the fluid, thereby causing brake problems under moderate to severe use, plus the moisture is not good for the seals and metal surfaces. Oh, and whoever said brake fluid did not go thru the ABS unit was dead wrong. Follow the lines from the M/C and they go right to the ABS unit before they head off to each wheel.
GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
bluej511
Name's Vic

bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesp View Post
laughing at the lack of knowledge in this thread

its RR,LR,RF,LF. and you don't have to do shit to the abs since it carries no fluid. fuck what the helms manual says doing it this way allows the clean fluid to get through the system alot faster.
Ok i have no idea where you got that from, but the ABS is an ABS pump (brake fluid goes thru it DUH thats how ABS works and modulates your brakes thats why you feel it thru the pedal) it also has an abs module and an abs pump. Trust me im an auto tech.
Armenian crsx crew member #6
02' RSX-S 179k mi, 14.5 @97. Sold after 12years.
13' Trek Madone 5.2. 2012 Swift Sport

bluej511 is offline   Reply With Quote