How do you guys remove and clean the Vtec solenoid - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
tran2000
Ba*G Bro's INC Since 1986

tran2000 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
How do you guys remove and clean the Vtec solenoid

Hey, is there a diy or anything like that for how to remove and clean the vtec solenoid on an 02 RSX Type S? I figure i can take it out and clean it. I like my car to run top notch.
Hondata #4, Hondata IMG, AEM Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Race Header, Neuspeed SS 60mm Exhaust, Grounding Kit, Innovative Street Kit, Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch, Act ProLite Flywheel, Revo SS And Bushings With Skunk2 Shiftknob, B&G Full Coilover System, Type R Sway Bars, TSX Retrofits With 50Watts 4300k, Full ASPEC.

www.f1automotiveinc.com
tran2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i dont see why it is necessary. but you dont need a diy, tehre are 2 harnesses plugged in, unclip those. vtec solenoid is screwed on with 3 bolts. she comes out nice and easy.

ibihaveanoilleakfromthevtecsolenoid
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
inmylrg
Master Member

inmylrg is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i never heard of anybody doing this before
inmylrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
derekfccdc5
I Love My Wife

derekfccdc5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
blinker fluid
Signature #5901 for Leroy Smith Hall of Fame Petition
NBP w/ Bronze Concave Cr-Kai's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
When life throws you a curve.... Darwin throws bees
derekfccdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
DomSim
no longer blown ;(

DomSim is on a distinguished road DomSim is on a distinguished road
how else would you top off your vtec fluid if you didnt remove it?
DomSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

DJGypsy is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
don't forget to generously apply elbow grease to the spindle knocker gaskets when you put everything back together.

re-torque the muffler bolts while you're at it. they go out of lash just like valves do...
motorcycle crew #27

DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
RSX FSU

RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member
RSX FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
damon3831
Member?

damon3831 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Not sure why people think this is a joke...must be ignorance...but the filter before the VTC solenoid can collect junk and impede oil flow. It is not that hard to take off and clean, like Reborn said, it is just the three bolts.

I have good reason to check that particular part...my cam won't stay where it should. When cruising, the tables on my k-pro will say the cam should be at 30 degrees, but it can go up and down between 25 to 35 degress sometimes. But it never stays a constant 30 like it should. The VTC solenoid controls the cam angle, so this is the first thing to check...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have a slow oil leak there, so I want to take it off and clean it up anyway.

Last edited by damon3831; 04-29-2008 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: VTC...not VTEC
damon3831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
JByron
Master Member

JByron is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
It's super easy, hope these pics help

Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
rensoyka
Breast inspector by appt.

rensoyka is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by damon3831 View Post
Not sure why people think this is a joke...must be ignorance...but the filter before the solenoid can collect junk and impede oil flow. It is not that hard to take off and clean, like Reborn said, it is just the three bolts.

I have good reason to check that particular part...my cam won't stay where it should. When cruising, the tables on my k-pro will say the cam should be at 30 degrees, but it can go up and down between 25 to 35 degress sometimes. But it never stays a constant 30 like it should. The VTEC solenoid controls the cam angle, so this is the first thing to check...I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have a slow oil leak there, so I want to take it off and clean it up anyway.
wrong, the vtec solenoid does not control cam angle, that's the VTC control system. the vtec system just changes between the hi and lo cam. the VTC oil screen and the VTC solenoid are what you want to check.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Matrix86
WE GOT DEBRIS!

Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though Matrix86 is cool, not as cool as some though
Never thought to do this... I've never even seen a VTEC solenoid...

*puts this on list too do.
06 VBP type-s | Ingalls TD | Greddy SP2 | DCRH | PureVision Hids | Ingalls front/rear camber kit | Fujita F5 CAI | Comptech SS | HONDATA | WedsSports Sa-70 | Progress Rear Sway | Buddy Club N+ | JDM Visors | Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec | Stop Tech Stage One
Matrix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
RSX FSU

RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member RSX FSU is a glorious c-rsx member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensoyka View Post
wrong, the vtec solenoid does not control cam angle, that's the VTC control system. the vtec system just changes between the hi and lo cam. the VTC oil screen and the VTC solenoid are what you want to check.
You are one smart mo fo. I always see you answering everything and I want you to know that I hate you for being mechanically inclined.
RSX FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
rensoyka
Breast inspector by appt.

rensoyka is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i suck a mean pussy too
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
DomSim
no longer blown ;(

DomSim is on a distinguished road DomSim is on a distinguished road
suck pussy? i always blow, it makes a funny noise and makes me giggle.
DomSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
tran2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JByron View Post
It's super easy, hope these pics help
Thanks a lot, you are the man!!!
Hondata #4, Hondata IMG, AEM Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Race Header, Neuspeed SS 60mm Exhaust, Grounding Kit, Innovative Street Kit, Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch, Act ProLite Flywheel, Revo SS And Bushings With Skunk2 Shiftknob, B&G Full Coilover System, Type R Sway Bars, TSX Retrofits With 50Watts 4300k, Full ASPEC.

www.f1automotiveinc.com
Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #16
tran2000

The reason i'm gonna clean this is because i remembered in my 97 prelude, my vtec solenoid was dirty and after i cleaned it, vtec felt like it was on crack. I'm not hoping my rsx to do that but i just want to clean it as maintenance procedure.

www.f1automotiveinc.com
Old 04-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #17
tran2000

Oh yea, you guys said there is three bolts but i see a total of four in the picture, what do i do about that 4th short bolt?

www.f1automotiveinc.com
Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #18
RsxDriver518

RsxDriver518 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Great DIY
RsxDriver518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #19
JByron
Master Member

JByron is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tran2000 View Post
Oh yea, you guys said there is three bolts but i see a total of four in the picture, what do i do about that 4th short bolt?
There are only 3, the fourth small one holds that shield over the solenoid I believe. but once you remove the whole thing the filter and gasket are expose already
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
damon3831
Member?

damon3831 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensoyka View Post
I knew what I was talking about, I understand what it all does, the extra "E" was a typo...and now that you say that I realize the TS had it wrong in the thread title. I'll edit my post.

I have taken out the VTC solenoid and it was very clean, nothing really serviceable there. I do need to check the screen on the front of the engine, but the EK mounts and P/S make it hard to get to, so I will need to take off the P/S to get to it.

Last edited by damon3831; 04-29-2008 at 09:03 AM..
damon3831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #21
J. Dub
Search newbster SEARCH!

J. Dub is on a distinguished road J. Dub is on a distinguished road
Wow... cleaning VTEC... FTW? Judges?????

Judges rule a thumbs up. Thank you chuck norris!
J. Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
Wrathe74
FI != NA

Wrathe74 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Thought this was a good read too. Understanding VTEC
Wrathe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
deanob
fucks.given =< 0;

deanob is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Wow... cleaning VTEC... FTW? Judges?????

Judges rule a thumbs up. Thank you chuck norris!
I have experienced non engaging VTEC system. Followed by appropriate engine code. Removed the solenoid and cleaned it. Viola, problem solved.
So don't be so quick to judge.
00 S2000
deanob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
TrevY
Like a sir

TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TrevY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Is there a recommended mileage to clean at? I just hit a bit over 84k in my 02 and read about cleaning the solenoid in an Import Tuner mag
TrevY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
recasares

recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx recasares is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Bringing up an old thread... but my vtec isn't engaging. The engine light goes on and off randomly and the error code im getting is p2647. The first thing I want to try is cleaning it out to see if that helps. On the heat shield for it I cant get the 3 bolts off. Its at a really awkward angle. I'm using a 10mm ratchet. So basically i cant get the 3 bolts off. Any ideas on how to make this come off a little easier?
recasares is offline   Reply With Quote