DIY $5 door lock actuator repair - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
brax

brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
DIY $5 door lock actuator repair

if you're like me and dont want to spend $35 to replace the lock motor, well heres some help to fix it like new for $5

you will need a dremel or grinding tool to half notch the new motors shaft to fit the plastic gear

you will also need a new motor, i found mine on ebay for $5
part # FC-280PT-22125 or FC-280PC-22125 or Johnson KF243G-101

Shaft: ROUNDYOU WILL NEED TO GRIND THE SHAFT TO MATCH THE OLD ONE! - 2mm diameter x 9.85mm length
Canister: 24.2mm Diameter (18.3mm on flat sides) x 30.5mm long
Overall Length: 45.0mm (Tip to Tail)

follow the guides and links posted below like you would normally replace and remove the whole lock motor but when you remove door lock actuator from the door latch pry it open with a flat head screwdriver working around the edges and pry the lid off

inside you will see the little metal motor that wears out, lift it straight up and it will "unplug" from the terminals that power it, next be careful not to drop the gear and brass washer that will slide right off the end, store them safely somewhere

grind your new motor shaft to match then either hot glue or super glue the actuator box back together "i would do this after you hold the box together plug it in and cycle the lock a few times to test and make sure you put it back together correctly

viola $5 well spent!

similar resource links so you get the idea

http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-guide-d...-motor-414788/
brax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
lordhelmet

lordhelmet is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
What is the possibility of changing the brushes from the new one to the old motor so no grinding is needed?
lordhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
brax

brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx brax is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
well that shaft attaches to a wound coil which could be worn out as well, harbor freight sells a dremel kit for like $12 if a buddy does not have one you can borrow,
im just going to hold the shaft with some tiny wire cutters while i grind it down flat, it does not have to be 100% perfect because the gear is plastic and will give some.. shouldnt be that hard to get it close....

Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
lordhelmet

lordhelmet is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have a dremel but I was just looking for an easier way. All this is moot because I can't get the two halves of the case split.
lordhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
brax

hmmm weird, mine came apart fairly easy.... try a small flat head screw driver and twist as you move it along the edge.. you may have a slightly different case design than mine, mines out of a 2002
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
cencalep3
Eg>Ek>Ep : )

cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cencalep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Good stuff.
cencalep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
brax

finished it today, works like brand new, i just used super glue to glue the halves back together ,

used a pair of small pliers on the new motor to hold the shaft from spinning from the back side of the motor so i could grind in as far as i needed on the front / face of the shaft, used a air grinder on low speed with a 2" sanding disc, took maybe 10 secs

just confirm the depth and fitment with the old motor while you grind swapping the gear back and forth..

fairly easy job! good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
marsvolta1fan
I <3 my DC2 DC5 & AE86

marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marsvolta1fan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Nice work!
Mine were free, had ITR doors just took the actuators from there =D
lol but if they go out again Ill be trying this for sure.
marsvolta1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
brax

thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Vinny010
Sup Dawg

Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Vinny010 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
this came up perfectly, my actuators starting to go perfect timing
Spoiler:
Vinny010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
PreludePatrick

PreludePatrick User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
Seems like more work than it's worth but hey, thanks for taking the time to figure it out!
PreludePatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
PwRdByV-TeC
Acura Technician

PwRdByV-TeC is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Agreed ^^

PARTS FOR SALE HERE =====>>>>>> http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...572&highlight=
PwRdByV-TeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
brax

it took no time at all..... maybe 20-25 mins start to finish
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
chunktwo
i eat f00d

chunktwo is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
^^^ buahaha.. that's my DIY (http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-guide-d...-motor-414788/)

for the is300 it was worth the time. The actuator for the is300 is like $80 to $100. So with a little bit of time and $5-$10 for the motors it was well worth it.
chunktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
brax

lol ive never owned a lexus, i cant remember if i ran across your DIY when i was searching for the motor part #s or not, its been forever lol anyways cheers...!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
brax

and yes it was like $5 well worth it, the shaft you can just hold with wire clippers and use a hand file to sand/grind it part flat... takes no time at all!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
Masud Ali

Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Masud Ali is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
DIY $5 door lock actuator repair

This door lock actuator is better repaired by locksmith because they know which part is to be replaced and repaired.
Masud Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:34 AM   #18
GraceNoah

GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx GraceNoah is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If i have to resolve that problem, i will prefer hiring nearby locksmith to replace the lock because locksmith can done it at cheap.
GraceNoah is offline   Reply With Quote