How-To: A2 Cams/Rockers in an A3 Head. - Page 5 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX (Base)
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #101
RastaRican718
Master Member

RastaRican718 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaRSX View Post
Whats the point of reving that high? Does your powerband even benefit from it?

You should always set your red line 200rpms after where you want to shift.
Pretty much why my rev limit is where it is, power drops off for my motor at 7.3k redline is up at 7.5k i think, but i dont really even take it that high, my peak i think is at 7.2 or so. Well that is what my tuner was explaining to me, there is no point of setting it higher cuz the power just takes a nose dive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #102
02civic629
Banned

02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Whats the point of reving that high? Does your powerband even benefit from it?

You should always set your red line 200rpms after where you want to shift.
idk about juicy but I'm reving higher to make more power because the powerband is still going, if i cut my car at 7500rpms id lose ALOT

I hope that's not what your supposed to do lol because id have to set it at 8700rpms , i shift at 8450-8500rpms (total guess cause the tach doesn't go that far ) and my redline is set to 8501rpms, i wanna rev more because the cone style v-intake/boredTB/RRC/XXX cams/SSR/3"ex combo flows very well wants alot of air but the block wont take it i dont think honestly ive done alot since the cars been down for 5 months still fixing the bugs now tuning wise, summers getting close, i got 72 days left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRican718 View Post
Pretty much why my rev limit is where it is, power drops off for my motor at 7.3k redline is up at 7.5k i think, but i dont really even take it that high, my peak i think is at 7.2 or so. Well that is what my tuner was explaining to me, there is no point of setting it higher cuz the power just takes a nose dive.
but wasn't that on PRB mani with a3 TB?? once you upgrade you'll be getting ALOT more air and alot more power........
02civic629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #103
LimaRSX
#selfie

LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top
LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top
Lol how do you know it makes power when you havnt dyno'd.

Fuck this fucking build crew
IG: LimaRSX

HotAvy&SigKrew
LimaRSX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #104
RastaRican718
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02civic629 View Post
idk about juicy but I'm reving higher to make more power because the powerband is still going, if i cut my car at 7500rpms id lose ALOT

I hope that's not what your supposed to do lol because id have to set it at 8700rpms , i shift at 8450-8500rpms (total guess cause the tach doesn't go that far ) and my redline is set to 8501rpms, i wanna rev more because the cone style v-intake/boredTB/RRC/XXX cams/SSR/3"ex combo flows very well wants alot of air but the block wont take it i dont think honestly ive done alot since the cars been down for 5 months still fixing the bugs now tuning wise, summers getting close, i got 72 days left....

but wasn't that on PRB mani with a3 TB?? once you upgrade you'll be getting ALOT more air and alot more power........
ssshhhh your gonna ruin the surprise
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #105
02civic629
Banned

02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02civic629 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
you only know what i've posted

if they have a dyno setup at ECHM this year i might take a run on it for public viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRican718 View Post
ssshhhh your gonna ruin the surprise
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #106
LimaRSX
#selfie

LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top LimaRSX is not even half way to the top
Quote:
you only know what i've posted

if they have a dyno setup at ECHM this year i might take a run on it for public viewing

I smell

HotAvy&SigKrew
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #107
RastaRican718
Master Member

Quote:
I smell
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #108
juicyjoint316
Boots to Asses

juicyjoint316 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
I took it to 9k once in 2nd and twice in 3rd, would i ever do it again fuck no lol lol but i think your fine with your setup as long as you don't go high any higher because i think your oil pump starts to fail at 8800rpms, but i think i read that about the type s pumps and idk if there different than the z3 pumps, and the valvetrain should be fine where you have it because if flash sets you at 8600rpms i can't see it failing much higher, if i were you, set it at 8700-8750rpms and call it a day, because with your style of driving seeing 8700rpms won't be often or upgrade the pump ard valvesprings and go to 9k safely

you where scared?? You only went 1k over factory redline, i went 2k over factory redline, if you saw your z3 at 10000rpms imagine that feeling i might hit you up that first weekend in may i might be in the area and ill probably have the rsx
yeah oil pump with balance shafts sucks but that 1k over factory redline does make a difference in dropping a valve or oil pump failure or misshift! i would like to rev it high like 10k but only when i have cams and valvetrain and new oil pump. oil pump is spinning 3 times faster than the cams. 2 times at the crank...

Quote:

so those are your mods

Quote:
i make power at 8200+ rpms idk about civic lmao...he needs to change his crappy a3 head lol which im sure hes doing with his build
juicyjoint316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #109
02civic629
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjoint316 View Post
yeah oil pump with balance shafts sucks but that 1k over factory redline does make a difference in dropping a valve or oil pump failure or misshift! i would like to rev it high like 10k but only when i have cams and valvetrain and new oil pump. oil pump is spinning 3 times faster than the cams. 2 times at the crank...

so those are your mods

i make power at 8200+ rpms idk about civic lmao...he needs to change his crappy a3 head lol which im sure hes doing with his build
Yea dropping a valve or oil pump would be catrophic but a misshift at 9k you might as well call the tow truck then lol, and shit id love to take this k24 you gave me to 10k lol i wonder if anyone's ever reved that high with a k series

and those are my mods, and i can't leave the a3 head or block, i love them lol, but yea ill give you a ride when i come up in like two weeks or so since you don't street race, i bet you won't feel the power drop off lol lol you'll be the 3rd person on here to take a spin
Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #110
juicyjoint316
Boots to Asses

juicyjoint316 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Yea dropping a valve or oil pump would be catrophic but a misshift at 9k you might as well call the tow truck then lol, and shit id love to take this k24 you gave me to 10k lol i wonder if anyone's ever reved that high with a k series

and those are my mods, and i can't leave the a3 head or block, i love them lol, but yea ill give you a ride when i come up in like two weeks or so since you don't street race, i bet you won't feel the power drop off lol lol you'll be the 3rd person on here to take a spin
lol im sure norris race car teggy with k swap has a k24 and spins that high ..you should race norris' gf car
juicyjoint316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #111
jstrott
Master Member

jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You think if you take this to a shop and tell them what to do they will know how and what to do?
jstrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #112
02civic629
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrott View Post
You think if you take this to a shop and tell them what to do they will know how and what to do?
matters what shop you take it to, just any old shop i wouldnt trust it fuck no, there are some good shops in the Nova/DC/MD area that will probably know what there doing though
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #113
LimaRSX
#selfie

Agreed.

Depends the shop, some know what they're doing some don't.

Just because they are a licensed mechanic does not make them a good one.

HotAvy&SigKrew
Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #114
jstrott
Master Member

jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jstrott is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
matters what shop you take it to, just any old shop i wouldnt trust it fuck no, there are some good shops in the Nova/DC/MD area that will probably know what there doing though
Any shops you would recommend?
jstrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #115
02civic629
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrott View Post
Any shops you would recommend?
well shoot since your in balitmore check out these guys

http://www.innovative-motorworks.com

might be a little drive but these are hands down the best RSX guys on the east coast in my opinion, plus there pricing you just cant beat, ill probably be heading there to get tuned and i live 3x farther away
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #116
froskies
Reserved

froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

Depends the shop, some know what they're doing some don't.

Just because they are a licensed mechanic does not make them a good one.

learned my lesson..
froskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #117
02civic629
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by froskies View Post

learned my lesson..
you ever figure out if your gonna need a new motor or what was wrong??
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #118
froskies
Reserved

froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx froskies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
you ever figure out if your gonna need a new motor or what was wrong??
umm.. well we left it at either bent valves or broken pistons.. i dont think it wouldbe pistons.. do they fuck up that easy? im leaning more towards bent valves.. idk if ii is that, i should just say fuck it and buy vavles, springs, seats, retainers....??? or a a2 head swap?? idk.. im depressed
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #119
02civic629
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by froskies View Post
umm.. well we left it at either bent valves or broken pistons.. i dont think it wouldbe pistons.. do they fuck up that easy? im leaning more towards bent valves.. idk if ii is that, i should just say fuck it and buy vavles, springs, seats, retainers....??? or a a2 head swap?? idk.. im depressed
yea im no engine builder but i would say valves before pistons too, but honestly pulling it apart will tell you whats best to do, that way you can see the damage and make your own call, because it could be a cheap quick fix or it could be , i mean worst case you can always swap a block or head in so i wouldn't stress too much, shoot do like me just look on the bright side, you know when you get back on the road its gonna be fast as fuck so who cares

Its always the guy whos had his car down the most probably has the fastest outta the bunch cause hes taken his time and perfected his setup
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #120
LimaRSX
#selfie

Ugh stop wasting money into that problem. Buy a long block and swap it in.

HotAvy&SigKrew
Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #121
froskies
Reserved

Quote:
yea im no engine builder but i would say valves before pistons too, but honestly pulling it apart will tell you whats best to do, that way you can see the damage and make your own call, because it could be a cheap quick fix or it could be , i mean worst case you can always swap a block or head in so i wouldn't stress too much, shoot do like me just look on the bright side, you know when you get back on the road its gonna be fast as fuck so who cares

Its always the guy whos had his car down the most probably has the fastest outta the bunch cause hes taken his time and perfected his setup
well yeah.. he said he was gonna take the head off to find out which of the two it is..
waiting for his call if not ill stop by tomorrow whgen i get out of work

Quote:
Ugh stop wasting money into that problem. Buy a long block and swap it in.
ill just slap a turbo in a be golden
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #122
Moraep3
Moraep3

Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
New guy hear. Cam you just put a2 rockets on the intake side & vtec Keller on the exhaust side
Moraep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #123
LimaRSX
#selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraep3 View Post
New guy hear. Cam you just put a2 rockets on the intake side & vtec Keller on the exhaust side
That can work but id put rockers instead of rockets. Sounds safer.

I thought about doing that as well to see what the outcone would be.

HotAvy&SigKrew
Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #124
Moraep3
Moraep3

Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Moraep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Lol rockets. I have a a set of a2 rockers, shafts caps but I'm missing a set of pins and the spring. So I only have 7 working rockers. Just wanted to see if that has been done. I would try it but don't have kpro.
Moraep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #125
LimaRSX
#selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraep3 View Post
Lol rockets. I have a a set of a2 rockers, shafts caps but I'm missing a set of pins and the spring. So I only have 7 working rockers. Just wanted to see if that has been done. I would try it but don't have kpro.
You definitely need kpro. It would be nice to see the results of a2 rockers on the intake while doing killers on the exhaust side.

HotAvy&SigKrew