*DETAILED* door lock actuator replacement - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
lilguyrsx

lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
*DETAILED* door lock actuator replacement

ok here is a more in depth door lock actuator replacement write up. This was done on both doors but the pics are only from the drivers door on a 2002 RSX Base.

Tools Needed :
-10mm socket
-#2 phillips head screw driver
-#3 phillips head screw driver
- small tip flat head screw driver

First you need to take the door panel off.

you need to remove (2) #2 phillips screws from under the the armrest

then you need to remove the cover from behind the door handle, this will require the small flat head screwdriver. you will need to lift the clip in the hole and pull the bottom of the cover out.

once removed you will need to remove (2) #2 phillips screw from behind the handle. it is easier if you remove the forward one first.

once you remove the screws pull the handle out but be delicate as there is the latch cable and the power lock plug on the back. after the handle is removed there is (1) #2 screw holding the panel on behind the armrest grip. you will need to remove this

now to remove the handle linkages, first undo the wire harness to the power locks

then remove the latch cable. *be careful as this will break if you are not delicate*

now remove the power window controls. this will pop out easily with a flat head screw driver from the front.

now just disconnect the wire harness. (it might be a little tight)

now remove the triangle trim piece behind the mirror. it just pops out, (1) clip, just be careful not to break it.

Now you can remove the door panel by lifting up and pulling out. there are clips around the bottom and sides and the top sits in a track

now pull the water shield back. (remember to not rip this because you will re-use it.) beneath this you will see (2) wires groups going to the door lock. one brown and one black. remove the clips holding them to the door

with these removed roll the window up (plug the switch back in to control window) now reach inside the door and undo two control arms to the lock. (1) silver and (1) gold.

these clips are just like the latch cable clip. be delicate and rotate the clips off the rods

now you will pull the rods out of the holes they are in. the gold one might be a little tough. you can pry it out with the screwdriver or use needle nose pliers.

with the rods disconnected you need to remove the window guide. it is held in by a 10mm bolt on the door

lilguyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
lilguyrsx

lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lilguyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
next there is a plastic clip holding a lock rod guide on the actuator you will need to remove this.

now remove the (3) #3 screws on the outside of the door holding the latch in.

now you can pull the latch and actuator to the door opening and change the actuator out.

there is (1) black #2 phillips head screw holding the gold cover on. remove that and pull the cover off.

with this removed you can remove the actuator. there are (2) clips one on top and one on bottom that you will need to lift to remove the actuator.

now with the actuator out. make sure you have the correct part for the correct door. (passenger and drivers doors are different.)

To install just repeat steps in reverse. there is one thing you want to be careful about when re-installing. the plastic guide needs to fit in a groove inside the door.

Also you might notice that some of the clips will stick in the door. just pull them out and install them onto the panel before re-installing on the door.

THANKS FOR READING

Last edited by lilguyrsx; 10-01-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
digitalpower

digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx digitalpower is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
dude awesome diy, just finished replacing mine and had this pulled up on my ipad to make sure i went step by step the only few issues i ran into was not using a #3 screwdriver on the side of the door had to run out and get one those things are really in there and then taking the inside door panel off, i wasnt able to just lift and pull so i went around starting at the front and just popped each one lose pretty straight forward diy though wouldnt have been able to without this
digitalpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Mark.is.GNAR
im a zombie

Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mark.is.GNAR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I wish this diy was here when I did mine..I changed mine by feel -_- felt like a contorsionist it sucked. But good job!

Mark.is.GNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
lilguyrsx

thanks man. this was my first diy write up.
Also If your alarm does not arm after the install then the lock position sensor INSIDE the actuator might be broken. I found this out after i finished everything and had to take it all apart again to fix.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
matrix22
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED

matrix22 has been a little shit in the past
impact screwdriver really works too!

and
matrix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Sinistr

Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sinistr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just followed this DIY, and let me tell you, I would probably still be out there tonight trying to get this lock to work without it. Great write up! Thanks for putting this out here.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Scarlett

Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Scarlett is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Best write up for actuator I have seen so far.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
lilguyrsx

thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Dickbowlmidz
Still here

Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more
Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more
well written good work
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
black dc5
Master Member

black dc5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
great write up. i attempted this years ago (apparently back in 2007 when I purchased the replacement) but failed to remove 1 rod which dampened the entire process. my poor memory means i had to look up a DIY again, stumbled upon this one with fresh photos. wouldn't have been able to get do it without this write up.

this time, i had to use pliers to remove one gold rod (for door handle). i also broke a clip on the triangle trim that covers the mirror hardware.

and for kicks since i fear my original unit failed in 5 years, and my replacement is now 7 years old, though never used, I may need to do this again. =/ time flies.

anywho i made a quick video for my own reference, might come in handy to some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4sGl9wHZc
black dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
plebiscite

plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plebiscite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
+1 for you! Very detailed, had a lot more information and pictures than any of the others - right down to the little simple steps.
plebiscite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Reborn
I don't know you

Reborn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Very nice writeup. Should be added to the sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black dc5 View Post
great write up. i attempted this years ago (apparently back in 2007 when I purchased the replacement) but failed to remove 1 rod which dampened the entire process. my poor memory means i had to look up a DIY again, stumbled upon this one with fresh photos. wouldn't have been able to get do it without this write up.

this time, i had to use pliers to remove one gold rod (for door handle). i also broke a clip on the triangle trim that covers the mirror hardware.

and for kicks since i fear my original unit failed in 5 years, and my replacement is now 7 years old, though never used, I may need to do this again. =/ time flies.

anywho i made a quick video for my own reference, might come in handy to some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4sGl9wHZc
yo!
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Dc5Dp
Master Member

Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5Dp is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The silver lever that is below the gold lever does that go through the white plastic and connect to a white piece of plastic with the circle cut out? I am doing this right now and I can't get this silver rod to connect to the pin and be in the circle through the plastic I can post pictures if it will help understand what I'm talking about
Dc5Dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #15
bacchus40

bacchus40 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguyrsx View Post
Also If your alarm does not arm after the install then the lock position sensor INSIDE the actuator might be broken. I found this out after i finished everything and had to take it all apart again to fix.
please explain this!... i just replaced mine with an aftermarket unit, and though i can control the new door lock actuator via the door switches.. it will not work with the FOB, nor engage or disengage the alarm./. confused..
ABP CREW MEMBER #66
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #16
exmayol

exmayol has been a little shit in the past
Excellent write up! Thanks.
exmayol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
bacchus40

guess i forgot to post up a couple months ago.... yes excellent write up..

we got it all sorted out... never get locked out of the car now...
ABP CREW MEMBER #66
Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Wolfram
Mech. Eng. Tech.

Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Wolfram is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks for the great write-up! This wasn't as hard as I expected, took me maybe 1.5hrs but I was definitely taking my time, checking everything out.

I bought the replacement actuator off ebay for $8.50, shipped from Hong Kong.
Wolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
603DC5

603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 603DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Nice write up!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #20
scranda

scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx scranda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
please explain this!... i just replaced mine with an aftermarket unit, and though i can control the new door lock actuator via the door switches.. it will not work with the FOB, nor engage or disengage the alarm./. confused..
Was this ever answered? I had sorta the same problem. I was in a accident were my drivers door had to be replaced and the shop put a used door on and after that my key fob doesn't work...
scranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
bacchus40

nope, technically it was never answered...

I surmised the unit i purchased was faulty, but knowing we can program the computer to know
when the windows are fully open and fully closed, i would bet aftermarket units such as the one
i purchased cannot be recognized by the oem computer, hence, no fob function... everything else
worked fine... i just couldnt use my fob, weird science!!

as soon as i installed an oem unit in there, everything works great, and has since!
ABP CREW MEMBER #66
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
Contrite

Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Contrite is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I did this today on driver's side. Thank you for taking the time to do this write up. It saved me a lot of time & broken plastic clips!
Contrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #23
natefair

natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx natefair is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
2004 xB Actuator Repair

Here is a video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu1Fa...ature=youtu.be

And here is a text guide:
2004 Scion xB Door Repair

Symptoms: Your FOB locks and unlocks all the doors except one. The lock probably works manually, but even that may not function.

Repair: Most repair shops will charge you $250-$300 for this repair. With a $10 part and a little ingenuity, you can replace this yourself. I am not a handyman nor do I do my own car repair. This should take you less than an hour. This repair is for the back driverís door of a 2004 Scion xB, but the concept is similar for any normal car door. If you want me to do it, I get $290/hour plus travel expenses. Kidding. But that is what you save when you DIY.

Tools:
ē Phillips screwdriver
ē Universal Actuator kit (should come with a bracket and a rod). I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ē Possibly a couple extra screws or bolts
ē Power drill and basic drill bits
ē Bolt cutters or a hacksaw for cutting the rods
ē Duct tape

Concept: Itís important to understand how simple this system is and how it works because you may encounter slight differences in the structure of your door that affect how you do this repair.

The lock button you use on your door is attached to a rod. The rod is attached to a very simple motor. The motor pushes (unlocks) and pulls (locks). The problem with your door is a worn out motor. They call the motor an actuator.

You are going to put the new actuator in your door Ė anywhere it will fit and attach to the rod. You are not connecting anything to the old actuator or to the latch. As long as it attaches to the old rod and the two electrical wires it will work.

The most challenging part is placing the new actuator and the new rod in a position that wonít have much friction and will fit in the door. You are also limited by the window in the door. These are not hard challenges if you are aware of them. Some doors have lots of space, but not my Scion.

Process
1. Start with the window down and the door open. The window is down so you donít attach something in the way of it closing.
2. Using #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove screw in armrest grip and then remove the grip.
3. Using #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove screw from door handle recess.
4. Starting at the lower edge of the door, firmly pull the door panel away from the door. It will pop out. Pop all fasteners out across the bottom, the front edge, and the rear edge of the door.
5. Lift the panel from the door.
6. Disconnect the electrical connector from the window/lock switch. You may have to depress the locking collar for the connector to disengage.
7. Carefully peel the sheet plastic away from the adhesive between it and the metal. Don't tear the plastic! Peel it away to expose the lock, latch, and rods.
8. At this point you may think you should remove the old actuator. Donít. Donít remove the door latch either.
9. You are going to attach the new actuator in the gap in the door. It will be a tight fit because of the window, also in the door and in need of motion..
10. Drill two holes in the door that you wil use for bracket attachment.
11. Attach the left side of the bracket (the side near the latch). I did this by screwing the actuator and bracket to the door using one screw.
12. Attach the rod that came with your actuator to the actuator. It just slides in and is held by the elbow and knob at the end. You need to do it now because you wonít have room later.
13. Make sure the new rod is positioned correctly so it can move easily. Make sure the bracket is also positioned correctly on the right side.
14. Now attach the right side of the bracket. I used a small bolt and nut.
15. If you have not screwed the actuator to the bracket in both places, do so now.
16. The next steps sound easy, but you need to keep friction to a minimum and the tightness of the space promotes friction. If the lock is too hard to move, the actuator will not function or will wear rapidly.
17. Attach the new rod to the old one. My kit came with a three-screw unit for doing this, but you can use anything that holds and fits.
18. I found that the new rod and the old rod rubbed, pressuring the actuator motor. I cut off excess rod material.
19. Check the system to make sure it works smoothly. If not, you may need to bend a rod, move the attachment, or reposition a rod.
20. You are about to hook up the power. In making the electrical connection, there was no live current on my Scion unless the FOB was pressed. While I doubt your car has live current (because it would drain your battery) I am not responsible if you electrocute yourself.
21. Cut the old and new wires and splice them together, attaching with wire nuts. Connect the orange-striped to the green-striped wire. I chose to zip-tie them so they would not rattle loose.
22. Check the system with your FOB or from the driverís door keypad.
23. Reattach the vapor barrier. You may need duct tape.
24. Reattach the door cover by snapping the pins carefully back into place. It helps to start at an easy to see corner and gradually move around. Donít force them; visually check alignment. Itís a bummer to break the door panel after successfully repairing the lock.
25. Replace the two screws and pat yourself on the back. You are now worth $290 an hour.
natefair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
mr.bbs

mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mr.bbs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
I think this is my issue, so would I need to replace the entire actuator, or can I replace just the sensor?
mr.bbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
HIntegra02

HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:

now remove the (3) #3 screws on the outside of the door holding the latch in.

Hey everyone.. Im new to this forum and i was just following this DIY and im stuck on this part.. I messed up with the screws head as well, they are so hard now i have to put everything back and wait till tomorrw morning to get some help from mechanic...
HIntegra02 is offline   Reply With Quote