Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

*DETAILED* door lock actuator replacement

80K views 59 replies 48 participants last post by  DnAngel37 
#1 ·
ok here is a more in depth door lock actuator replacement write up. This was done on both doors but the pics are only from the drivers door on a 2002 RSX Base.

Tools Needed :
-10mm socket
-#2 phillips head screw driver
-#3 phillips head screw driver
- small tip flat head screw driver

First you need to take the door panel off.

you need to remove (2) #2 phillips screws from under the the armrest

then you need to remove the cover from behind the door handle, this will require the small flat head screwdriver. you will need to lift the clip in the hole and pull the bottom of the cover out.

once removed you will need to remove (2) #2 phillips screw from behind the handle. it is easier if you remove the forward one first.

once you remove the screws pull the handle out but be delicate as there is the latch cable and the power lock plug on the back. after the handle is removed there is (1) #2 screw holding the panel on behind the armrest grip. you will need to remove this

now to remove the handle linkages, first undo the wire harness to the power locks

then remove the latch cable. *be careful as this will break if you are not delicate*

now remove the power window controls. this will pop out easily with a flat head screw driver from the front.

now just disconnect the wire harness. (it might be a little tight)

now remove the triangle trim piece behind the mirror. it just pops out, (1) clip, just be careful not to break it.

Now you can remove the door panel by lifting up and pulling out. there are clips around the bottom and sides and the top sits in a track

now pull the water shield back. (remember to not rip this because you will re-use it.) beneath this you will see (2) wires groups going to the door lock. one brown and one black. remove the clips holding them to the door

with these removed roll the window up (plug the switch back in to control window) now reach inside the door and undo two control arms to the lock. (1) silver and (1) gold.

these clips are just like the latch cable clip. be delicate and rotate the clips off the rods

now you will pull the rods out of the holes they are in. the gold one might be a little tough. you can pry it out with the screwdriver or use needle nose pliers.

with the rods disconnected you need to remove the window guide. it is held in by a 10mm bolt on the door

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
next there is a plastic clip holding a lock rod guide on the actuator you will need to remove this.

now remove the (3) #3 screws on the outside of the door holding the latch in.

now you can pull the latch and actuator to the door opening and change the actuator out.

there is (1) black #2 phillips head screw holding the gold cover on. remove that and pull the cover off.

with this removed you can remove the actuator. there are (2) clips one on top and one on bottom that you will need to lift to remove the actuator.

now with the actuator out. make sure you have the correct part for the correct door. (passenger and drivers doors are different.)

To install just repeat steps in reverse. there is one thing you want to be careful about when re-installing. the plastic guide needs to fit in a groove inside the door.

Also you might notice that some of the clips will stick in the door. just pull them out and install them onto the panel before re-installing on the door.

THANKS FOR READING

#3 ·
dude awesome diy, just finished replacing mine and had this pulled up on my ipad to make sure i went step by step the only few issues i ran into was not using a #3 screwdriver on the side of the door had to run out and get one those things are really in there and then taking the inside door panel off, i wasnt able to just lift and pull so i went around starting at the front and just popped each one lose pretty straight forward diy though wouldnt have been able to without this

#11 ·
great write up. i attempted this years ago (apparently back in 2007 when I purchased the replacement) but failed to remove 1 rod which dampened the entire process. my poor memory means i had to look up a DIY again, stumbled upon this one with fresh photos. wouldn't have been able to get do it without this write up.

this time, i had to use pliers to remove one gold rod (for door handle). i also broke a clip on the triangle trim that covers the mirror hardware.

and for kicks since i fear my original unit failed in 5 years, and my replacement is now 7 years old, though never used, I may need to do this again. =/ time flies.

anywho i made a quick video for my own reference, might come in handy to some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4sGl9wHZc

#14 ·
The silver lever that is below the gold lever does that go through the white plastic and connect to a white piece of plastic with the circle cut out? I am doing this right now and I can't get this silver rod to connect to the pin and be in the circle through the plastic I can post pictures if it will help understand what I'm talking about

#21 ·
nope, technically it was never answered...

I surmised the unit i purchased was faulty, but knowing we can program the computer to know
when the windows are fully open and fully closed, i would bet aftermarket units such as the one
i purchased cannot be recognized by the oem computer, hence, no fob function... everything else
worked fine... i just couldnt use my fob, weird science!!

as soon as i installed an oem unit in there, everything works great, and has since!

#23 ·
2004 xB Actuator Repair

Here is a video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu1FaTW7BUo&feature=youtu.be

And here is a text guide:
2004 Scion xB Door Repair

Symptoms: Your FOB locks and unlocks all the doors except one. The lock probably works manually, but even that may not function.

Repair: Most repair shops will charge you $250-$300 for this repair. With a $10 part and a little ingenuity, you can replace this yourself. I am not a handyman nor do I do my own car repair. This should take you less than an hour. This repair is for the back driver’s door of a 2004 Scion xB, but the concept is similar for any normal car door. If you want me to do it, I get $290/hour plus travel expenses. Kidding. But that is what you save when you DIY.

Tools:
• Phillips screwdriver
• Universal Actuator kit (should come with a bracket and a rod). I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043G5UM0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
• Possibly a couple extra screws or bolts
• Power drill and basic drill bits
• Bolt cutters or a hacksaw for cutting the rods
• Duct tape

Concept: It’s important to understand how simple this system is and how it works because you may encounter slight differences in the structure of your door that affect how you do this repair.

The lock button you use on your door is attached to a rod. The rod is attached to a very simple motor. The motor pushes (unlocks) and pulls (locks). The problem with your door is a worn out motor. They call the motor an actuator.

You are going to put the new actuator in your door – anywhere it will fit and attach to the rod. You are not connecting anything to the old actuator or to the latch. As long as it attaches to the old rod and the two electrical wires it will work.

The most challenging part is placing the new actuator and the new rod in a position that won’t have much friction and will fit in the door. You are also limited by the window in the door. These are not hard challenges if you are aware of them. Some doors have lots of space, but not my Scion.

Process
1. Start with the window down and the door open. The window is down so you don’t attach something in the way of it closing.
2. Using #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove screw in armrest grip and then remove the grip.
3. Using #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove screw from door handle recess.
4. Starting at the lower edge of the door, firmly pull the door panel away from the door. It will pop out. Pop all fasteners out across the bottom, the front edge, and the rear edge of the door.
5. Lift the panel from the door.
6. Disconnect the electrical connector from the window/lock switch. You may have to depress the locking collar for the connector to disengage.
7. Carefully peel the sheet plastic away from the adhesive between it and the metal. Don't tear the plastic! Peel it away to expose the lock, latch, and rods.
8. At this point you may think you should remove the old actuator. Don’t. Don’t remove the door latch either.
9. You are going to attach the new actuator in the gap in the door. It will be a tight fit because of the window, also in the door and in need of motion..
10. Drill two holes in the door that you wil use for bracket attachment.
11. Attach the left side of the bracket (the side near the latch). I did this by screwing the actuator and bracket to the door using one screw.
12. Attach the rod that came with your actuator to the actuator. It just slides in and is held by the elbow and knob at the end. You need to do it now because you won’t have room later.
13. Make sure the new rod is positioned correctly so it can move easily. Make sure the bracket is also positioned correctly on the right side.
14. Now attach the right side of the bracket. I used a small bolt and nut.
15. If you have not screwed the actuator to the bracket in both places, do so now.
16. The next steps sound easy, but you need to keep friction to a minimum and the tightness of the space promotes friction. If the lock is too hard to move, the actuator will not function or will wear rapidly.
17. Attach the new rod to the old one. My kit came with a three-screw unit for doing this, but you can use anything that holds and fits.
18. I found that the new rod and the old rod rubbed, pressuring the actuator motor. I cut off excess rod material.
19. Check the system to make sure it works smoothly. If not, you may need to bend a rod, move the attachment, or reposition a rod.
20. You are about to hook up the power. In making the electrical connection, there was no live current on my Scion unless the FOB was pressed. While I doubt your car has live current (because it would drain your battery) I am not responsible if you electrocute yourself.
21. Cut the old and new wires and splice them together, attaching with wire nuts. Connect the orange-striped to the green-striped wire. I chose to zip-tie them so they would not rattle loose.
22. Check the system with your FOB or from the driver’s door keypad.
23. Reattach the vapor barrier. You may need duct tape.
24. Reattach the door cover by snapping the pins carefully back into place. It helps to start at an easy to see corner and gradually move around. Don’t force them; visually check alignment. It’s a bummer to break the door panel after successfully repairing the lock.
25. Replace the two screws and pat yourself on the back. You are now worth $290 an hour.

#27 ·
Just did the work on my RSX and everything worked great after!
Be very careful removing the Plastic with one (1) clip besides the window...
I thought it was not placed correctly so my friend took it off and broke the half of the clip!

TIP: Don't try to be perfect, if you think your ok.. LEAVE IT! :)

#28 ·
Great post! Just did all 3 actuators. This really helped with the doors! Like anything with cars it takes a bit your first time, with patience and common sense it is achievable.
eBay had a pair of actuators from china for 19.99 and they actually work just as good as oem. Just be careful when putting back everything so you don't have to redo.

#30 ·
I got them changed from mechanic since i had damaged the 3 screws that i mentioned in previous post. He charged me $150 AUD. They are working fine with the remote fob now but he did something and i cant open the driver side door with the key, it is jammed and also i have to push so hard to close the door now as it does not get closed properly.

I took the car back to him and he said the door was like this before and he will charge me $60 to check whats wrong with the door lock as its jammed and not opening with the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.