*DETAILED* door lock actuator replacement - Page 2 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
HIntegra02

HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just a quick question. When i unlock thru fob remote i can hear a noise from actuator but it does not lock or unlock the driver side door. It does unlock and lock the passenger side and boot lock.. Is it the driver side actuator thats gone bad?
HIntegra02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
Owver

Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Owver is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just did the work on my RSX and everything worked great after!
Be very careful removing the Plastic with one (1) clip besides the window...
I thought it was not placed correctly so my friend took it off and broke the half of the clip!

TIP: Don't try to be perfect, if you think your ok.. LEAVE IT!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
sushiadct

sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Great post! Just did all 3 actuators. This really helped with the doors! Like anything with cars it takes a bit your first time, with patience and common sense it is achievable.
eBay had a pair of actuators from china for 19.99 and they actually work just as good as oem. Just be careful when putting back everything so you don't have to redo.
sushiadct is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #29
sushiadct

sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sushiadct is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIntegra02 View Post
Just a quick question. When i unlock thru fob remote i can hear a noise from actuator but it does not lock or unlock the driver side door. It does unlock and lock the passenger side and boot lock.. Is it the driver side actuator thats gone bad?
If it worked before and it doesn't now. The actuator is your best bet.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
HIntegra02

HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HIntegra02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I got them changed from mechanic since i had damaged the 3 screws that i mentioned in previous post. He charged me $150 AUD. They are working fine with the remote fob now but he did something and i cant open the driver side door with the key, it is jammed and also i have to push so hard to close the door now as it does not get closed properly.

I took the car back to him and he said the door was like this before and he will charge me $60 to check whats wrong with the door lock as its jammed and not opening with the key.
HIntegra02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #31
sushiadct

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIntegra02 View Post
I got them changed from mechanic since i had damaged the 3 screws that i mentioned in previous post. He charged me $150 AUD. They are working fine with the remote fob now but he did something and i cant open the driver side door with the key, it is jammed and also i have to push so hard to close the door now as it does not get closed properly.

I took the car back to him and he said the door was like this before and he will charge me $60 to check whats wrong with the door lock as its jammed and not opening with the key.
If it was working before and it's not now, it sounds like bs. Maybe one of the connecting rods were placed incorrect. But if you don't feel like it, 60 bucks is prolly cheaper then going somewhere else.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
naptownRSX-S

naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx naptownRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Dude you are the man. I did this today in 2 hours. I would've had no fuggin idea how to do this if I hadnt found youre guide. YOU ARE THE MAN. Honda wanted $400 to replace the entire mechanism and that was with an employee discount. I bought the actuator on ebay for 12 bucks haha
naptownRSX-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #33
Nikko

Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nikko is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
subbed
Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
USDM EJ6

USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx USDM EJ6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks for this DIY!! I replaced my driver side actuator yesterday with the help of this thread.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #35
prrnrngr

prrnrngr is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
This was pretty easy. Took me about an hour and a half. Only tricky part was not breaking the clip that the gold rod slid into. I had to manhandle that out of its home and luckily nothing broke. 38 bucks for a Honda OEM regulator and some time is a hell of a deal if you ask me. Great write up.
prrnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #36
_alter//ego

_alter//ego is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
this write-up prevented me from killing myself. thank you!
_alter//ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #37
kmouze
that niqqa

kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kmouze is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
the outer 3 screws are torque the fuck down. shuldve told us that....stripped the screws,,,
Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #38
XpL0d3r
r3d0LpX

XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx XpL0d3r is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Used this tutorial over the weekend.

Great tutorial! My only gripe is that removing the power controls from the door wasn't necessary and was just added work. I was able to simply pull the panel off and disconnect the harness. I had about 8" of slack to play with so I had plenty of room.

Got the old actuator out and the new one in and back together in a little over an hour. First time taking apart a door, so thanks for the helpful tutorial!
XpL0d3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #39
twitchyzero

twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Did you guys buy OEM one again knowing how failure prone they are or can you recommend an aftermarket one? I see cheap ones on ebay...think of just going the most popular dorman one on rockauto?
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...810&cc=1432639
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #40
bacchus40

bacchus40 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
stick with OEM... complete failure takes a bloody long time, the original owner drove it for 7 years, i'm now on my 7th year as well, the driver side DL failed over a year ago and i'm currently replacing the hatch one...

i had originally purchased an aftermarket driver side door lock actuator and it did not work at all, well sort of, the motor worked but it could not communicate with the oem
electrical system, meaning with the oem alarm and all that jazz, i sent it back for a full refund and upon installing the oem unit everything worked exactly as designed!

i do in fact utilize the oem security option.
ABP CREW MEMBER #66

Last edited by bacchus40; 01-09-2015 at 03:12 PM..
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #41
Titan7
DC5 Titan

Titan7 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Can anyone give me more tips on how to remove the gold rod because I can't get it off
Titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #42
twitchyzero

twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx twitchyzero is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i just did this yesterday, took me many hours cause I managed to strip one of the 3 exterior screws.

For the gold rod, use a large flathead and push it out from the left side (assuming driver's side door) via the window gap.

It also took me a while because when I was removing the actuator, parts of the lock assembly fell out and it took a while to figure out the lock mechanism for me to put it back correctly.

This was not a very fun fix, lots and plastics involved so you have to be careful not to crack things.

The ebay actuator works just fine, albeit mine is noiser than the OEM. Hope it lasts me forever...not looking forward to doing it again. *knock on wood*

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-22-2015 at 10:12 PM..
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #43
CrazyPuppy

CrazyPuppy is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Inside door handle issues

Thanks for the great write up. I used yours and a couple other references, and yours was the best.

I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem. I got the new actuator installed, and put everything back together. My alarm remote now works, but the inside door handle doesn't work anymore. The outside door handle does work. The rod attached to the door handle is attached, and when I manually pull it, I can follow the cable to the actuator and I feel it pulling the little white lever attached to it, but it doesn't seem to affect the actuator. My next step is to pull the actuator out again, but not until later this week, as it's getting too late for me to look into it some more tonight.

Btw, I couldn't get that golden rod unattached, but I was still able to pull the actuator out far enough that I could replace it.

Thanks for any help.

-Carlos
CrazyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #44
RoodStreetFilms

RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RoodStreetFilms is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Fantastic guide. Worked flawlessly. However, my frustration in removing both rods caused me to break the little plastics clips that hold them in place.

The gold rod seems to be working ok without a clip but that damn like silver one (key lock rod) will not sit in place.

So now my door is unlocked at all times. Not a big deal considering I live/work in safe area but I want to get this project finished.

My question: does anyone know where I can get replacement plastic clips for the ends of those rods? Those clips are not an ANY parts list that I can find. I'm thinking about going to the local honda junk yard and scavenging them but considering how heavy handed I am I might not even know how to pull the full clips off without cracking them.

Help!
RoodStreetFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 AM   #45
T.Y.

T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T.Y. is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Good guide! I just replaced mine as well. 2 of the bolts that is holding the actuator to the door was striped so i spent quite a long time to extract them out. The gold rod is also quite difficult to take out and I had to muscle it out. I ended up ripping the moisture cover as well.
T.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #46
FA5Tanaka

FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FA5Tanaka is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
THANK YOU.
Just did mine on my POS 02.. Now gotta do the other door lol
FA5Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #47
iHeartFast

iHeartFast is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Garage
Thanks for the DIY!
iHeartFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #48
peterrpham
Du ma

peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
FML, I stripped 1 of the 3 bolts on the door.

Pham's 6spd Base | IG: peterrpham
peterrpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #49
RSX'98

RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSX'98 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I did the install and tried to put everything back where it was supposed to be. But when I open the door handle on the way down it like has something giving a resistance in one spot. Any ideas?
RSX'98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #50
ahdez

ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ahdez is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
great write up..pretty easy to follow, thank you!