3 inch KTuned exhaust vs custom 3inch - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
Nicolas22S

Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
3 inch KTuned exhaust vs custom 3inch

Hello everyone I just got my race header this weekend and I’m thinking now about pair them with a 3 inch exhaust but I don’t want something too loud, you guys know already the new law in California, I been reading and doing research and a lot of people get the KTeller piping and pair it’s with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and a vibrant muffler or something else,so my question is between the KTuned 3inch exhaust and the KTeller 3inc piping with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and a muffler like a HKS, vibrant or Apexi which one would be the quietest one ? By the way just asking if i want pops and backfire the KTUNED would give me that ? Or with the custom 3 inch?thanks
Nicolas22S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
cauQazn
got retrofit?

cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep
cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep
Don't want too loud, but want pops and backfire

ATLANTA DALLAS
RSXRetrofits | VisionAutoworks | Team Hi-Def
UnitF14 Powdercoating | O'Reilly Plano
cauQazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
nhbp.rsx

nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Not sure if if helps but I got the k-tuned race header(409) Exhaust and it give off that pop/crackle when you let off. Its great! but it is loud in my opinion. *Never really been in too many modded cars so not used to hearing it all the time*

Catless setup
nhbp.rsx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Nicolas22S

Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nicolas22S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cauQazn View Post
Don't want too loud, but want pops and backfire [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/jackiechan.png[/IMG]
Lol I know it sounds dumb but I’m tryna say I don’t want something too damn loud and also if with one of those set ups would do that m, thanks for the answer anyways
Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Nicolas22S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbp.rsx View Post
Not sure if if helps but I got the k-tuned race header(409) Exhaust and it give off that pop/crackle when you let off. Its great! but it is loud in my opinion. *Never really been in too many modded cars so not used to hearing it all the time*

Catless setup
I have the KTuned race header too! It backfires too? Also have you ever been bothered by cops ?
Old 06-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
cauQazn
got retrofit?

cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep
the ktuned exhaust is really loud

ATLANTA DALLAS
Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
Nicolas22S

Quote:
the ktuned exhaust is really loud
So the kteller piping with the vibrant ultra quiet resonator and a black vibrant muffler would be less loud than the Ktuned right?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #8
cauQazn
got retrofit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas22S View Post
So the kteller piping with the vibrant ultra quiet resonator and a black vibrant muffler would be less loud than the Ktuned right?
Yes. I've had two friends with the Ktuned 3". It is loud, it's not obnoxious like a straight pipe but you will be heard a good distance away lol. I would not get that exhaust if you're in California, IMO.

ATLANTA DALLAS
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
nhbp.rsx

nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nhbp.rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
I have the KTuned race header too! It backfires too? Also have you ever been bothered by cops ?
Not sure if there’s backfire I wouldn’t be able to tell but the pops and crackles are very noticeable. So far I’ve had it for two weeks I’d say and no problems with the cops. I try to keep it in 4th when cruising by or shift early at the lights.

It’s stupid loud in tunnels and I love it ahah. Not bad at idle once the engine is warmed up. I am running lean though. I got a CEL code P0171 last week but it went away after a few KMs

(Base rsx)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if there’s backfire I wouldn’t be able to tell but the pops and crackles are very noticeable. So far I’ve had it for two weeks I’d say and no problems with the cops. I try to keep it in 4th when cruising by or shift early at the lights.

It’s stupid loud in tunnels and I love it ahah. Not bad at idle once the engine is warmed up. I am running lean though. I got a CEL code P0171 last week but it went away after a few KMs

(Base rsx)
You’d be able to tell if there’s back fire. You’d hear a loud, unsettling pop/bang upon acceleration.
How’s it feel on the butt dyno?
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:21 AM   #11
Nicolas22S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmakas17 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

(Base rsx)
You’d be able to tell if there’s back fire. You’d hear a loud, unsettling pop/bang upon acceleration.
How’s it feel on the butt dyno?
Actually now that you say dyno I’m very curious about numbers with the whole KTuned set up...i still doubt it between the Ktuned 3 inch or the Kteller piping with Hks muffler...
Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
Copafeel87

Copafeel87 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have a Thermal R&D 3" cat-back and am very pleased with the sound.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
Nicolas22S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copafeel87 View Post
I have a Thermal R&D 3" cat-back and am very pleased with the sound.
Have you ever compared with the KTUNED system or custom exhaust?
Old 06-26-2019, 04:14 AM   #14
nhbp.rsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmakas17 View Post
Youd be able to tell if theres back fire. Youd hear a loud, unsettling pop/bang upon acceleration.
Hows it feel on the butt dyno?
Then yes plenty of backfire. Just kept calling it pops & crackle this whole time.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Custom 3" all day long. That way you can dictate sound levels better. As long as all parts are straight thru they perform the same 99% of the time.

What I have always done, even with a sck24a2 and IPS K2 2.0L, is use a raceheader, 3" exhaust up to and thru 1st resinator, then reduce to 2.5" to 2.5" muffler. I still get 3" flow power gains and before the gas cools too much, velocity comes back by 2.5". Sound is lessened as well.

Can't go wrong with Vibrant ultra quite resonator and Vibrant Black Stealth muffer...sounds amazing.
Argonfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #16
Nicolas22S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonfree View Post
Custom 3" all day long. That way you can dictate sound levels better. As long as all parts are straight thru they perform the same 99% of the time.

What I have always done, even with a sck24a2 and IPS K2 2.0L, is use a raceheader, 3" exhaust up to and thru 1st resinator, then reduce to 2.5" to 2.5" muffler. I still get 3" flow power gains and before the gas cools too much, velocity comes back by 2.5". Sound is lessened as well.

Can't go wrong with Vibrant ultra quite resonator and Vibrant Black Stealth muffer...sounds amazing.
Thanks for your answer! I’m probably going with the Kteller kit and the vibrant ultra quiet resonator for my muffler if I pick the TPV style it would more loud than the black muffler right ?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
xthundersz

xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx xthundersz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Ktuned Oval exhaust is really loud, Try the custom kteller or junk2. Junk2 isn't my thing but it sound nice and not very loud inside the cabin.
xthundersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #18
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Thanks for your answer! Im probably going with the Kteller kit and the vibrant ultra quiet resonator for my muffler if I pick the TPV style it would more loud than the black muffler right ?
I have only owned the black muffler, it is straight thru design. Sounds deep and not riced
Old 07-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #19
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe
RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe
Quote:
Don't want too loud, but want pops and backfire
Aren't pops and backfire a cat and fuel issue rather than pipe size?
|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
RecarosCostTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #20
Philipminge

Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Philipminge is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Ktuned 3" exahust is so loud and drone is unbelievable. When i bought my type S it came with one. was the only mod. it was an axle back... when the car came home it was unbolted the same night.

With our other Type S - it runs a Spoon axle back only and it pops on down shift of lift off.
Maybe look at a spoon Cat back System.

Also for a NA stock engined car the Ktuned lost heaps of torque. Was a horrible thing. Good for boost!

Just my opinion. cheers
Philipminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #21
Nicolas22S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipminge View Post
Ktuned 3" exahust is so loud and drone is unbelievable. When i bought my type S it came with one. was the only mod. it was an axle back... when the car came home it was unbolted the same night.

With our other Type S - it runs a Spoon axle back only and it pops on down shift of lift off.
Maybe look at a spoon Cat back System.

Also for a NA stock engined car the Ktuned lost heaps of torque. Was a horrible thing. Good for boost!

Just my opinion. cheers
Well tbh yesterday I ran another type s with a KTUNED exhaust, plm raceheader and CAI, we did 3 runs and in all of them I got him for like car and a half , and tbh I don’t think the ktuner sounds that bad, anyways Is not the first time I read people saying that the Ktuned exhaust is not the best for NA gains, IMO the KTUNED header is a very good product, and I’m glad I chose that one instead the PLM, no leaks, no cracks.So I’m going Kteller and vibrant resonator and Im not sure if an HKS muffler or the black vibrant, thanks for all the opinions! 👍🏼
Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #22
Argonfree

So interesting food for thought.. The 05-06 DC5 has an upgraded fuel tank which has claimed 75% better fuel evaporation vs. 02-04 models. This new fuel tank is shifted back about 7" opening up a possible new exhaust route. That is if you dont mind chassis fabrication.

There is a small brace that has to be removed or re-designed, if one would decide to keep it. I have a 2002 chassis so I am going to either shift my tank backwards or replace it with the re-designed 05-06 tank.

I am doing this so I can run the K-tuned 409 race header and Burns Stainless megaphone (14.5" long & dia 2.5"x4.5" dia) followed by 4.5"x4" reducer then 4"x3" reducer. 3" SS flex x 6" long. 3" piping that 90's around fuel tank to 3" Vibrant ultra quite resonator. 3"x2.5" reducer to 2.5" axleback to 2.5" Vibrant black muffler.

It is work to run it this way. I will avoid needing oval mid-section, clearance problems lowered, and I will be able to run a megaphone with a race header. For sure I will make more power with the custom exhaust vs. what is on the market.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_131600.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	689.0 KB
ID:	550263

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190709_131727.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	549.9 KB
ID:	550265
Old 09-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #23
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonfree View Post
So interesting food for thought.. The 05-06 DC5 has an upgraded fuel tank which has claimed 75% better fuel evaporation vs. 02-04 models. This new fuel tank is shifted back about 7" opening up a possible new exhaust route. That is if you dont mind chassis fabrication.

There is a small brace that has to be removed or re-designed, if one would decide to keep it. I have a 2002 chassis so I am going to either shift my tank backwards or replace it with the re-designed 05-06 tank.

I am doing this so I can run the K-tuned 409 race header and Burns Stainless megaphone (14.5" long & dia 2.5"x4.5" dia) followed by 4.5"x4" reducer then 4"x3" reducer. 3" SS flex x 6" long. 3" piping that 90's around fuel tank to 3" Vibrant ultra quite resonator. 3"x2.5" reducer to 2.5" axleback to 2.5" Vibrant black muffler.

It is work to run it this way. I will avoid needing oval mid-section, clearance problems lowered, and I will be able to run a megaphone with a race header. For sure I will make more power with the custom exhaust vs. what is on the market.

Attachment 550263

Attachment 550265
While I understand the logic behind your setup, I’m not sure that I’ll provide you with the results you’re seeking. Have you tested it on a flow bench? It seems to me like you would lose velocity due to exhaust gasses tumbling inside the megaphone/reducer.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote