Smogging 2004 CTSC -- Trials and Tribulations - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
conradb212
ECU Tuner

conradb212 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Smogging 2004 CTSC -- Trials and Tribulations

Well, after seven years I finally was required to get a smog check on my 2004 Type-S with the Comptech Supercharger. Here's what happened:

- Before the test I used both K-Pro and a OBDII tester to check for error codes. None.

- Took the car to a smog station in Folsom, CA. They're measuring HC, CO and NO at 15mph and 25mph on a roller. They also do a fairly extensive visual check.

- They're checking the car while I am sweating bullets. The car is done. It failed. So I am asking the guy what happened. Results:

- The car passed smog with flying colors, with room to spare and actually better than the average vehicle tested.

- My intake didn't have a valid CARB California Executive Order. It only covered cars through 2003.

- My Comptech Street Header didn't have a valid CARB California Executive Order either. The one on my header only covered through 2003.

- The PCV vent tube is a heater type hose.

So I going back home to do research. Results:

- They had mistaken my AEM CAI for a Comptech Icebox (I sill had both stickers under the hood). The E.O. for my AEM CAI is good for 2004.

- My Comptech street header does have a valid E.O. number through 2004, and I have the part number and receipt to prove it.

- Not sure what they meant with "Heater hose" -- I used the 3/4-inch hose that came with the AEM CAI kit, and it is hooked up correctly.

Back to the smog station. Result:

- They admitted their mistake with confusing the stickers. So the intake is okay.

- They don't care that the PVC hose came with the approved AEM CAI kit. They won't pass me with a hose that says "Heater" on it.

- The metal stamp on my header says E.O. D-455-17. That E.O. indeed only covers through 2003. The part # for my header is covered under E.O. D-455-21, which is for the exact same part but extends through 2004. Sadly, E.O. D-455-17 did not list part numbers, and so they won't pass it because I can't prove it's the same exact part. I suppose Comptech's extension for the header wasn't available yet when I bought the header in early 2004.

So I went to two car parts stores to get some EVAP 3/4-inch hose. No one has it. I buy 19/32 or some such, and then replace the dang hose (oh joy).

I put in a call to Shad to see if he can help with the stupid E.O. for the 2004 Comptech street header. I'd really, really hate to have to replace the header just because the smog place is being difficult.

Anyway, moral of the story (so far):

- If you go to have your car smogged in CA and you're not on special terms with them...

- Make triple sure you have all the darn stickers and make sure they match and check them against the CA Air Resources Board data base.

So there. I had been so worried about the supercharger causing me problems, and now I am stuck with a non-matching street header number.

Wish me luck.
Mods: Stage 3 Comptech SC, AEM CAI, Comptech street header, stock cat, modified stock injectors, Hondata K-Pro, Hondata IMG, Fujitsubo PG catback, cat, 225/45-17 Goodrich G-force Rivals on Kazera rims, Mugen SS, Quaife LSD, CT lightweight flywheel and street clutch, ACT heavy-duty pressure plate, CT rear sway/tie bar and titanium front strut brace, Type-R replica wing, CT short shifter, Auto Meter Sport Comp full-sweep boost gauge. Current results: 290 whp on DynaPack. Web: My RSX and K-Pro page. My Blog: ECU Tuning
conradb212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
2010 admin

Thanks for the in-depth report, stranger.

Glad I moved to Texas.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
JPSlick
Master Member

JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though
Good thing my state took away the inspection process completely as of august, and went to a simple pass or no pass via OBd II FTW
My Youtube Video Channel
JPSlick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
1slowrex
Main Squeeze

1slowrex is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Good thing my state took away the inspection process completely as of august, and went to a simple pass or no pass via OBd II FTW
lucky
All Motor Crew #25
1slowrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
Agent Smith
It is inevitable

Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more
Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more
that sucks conrad, but good to see you around.

we only do obdII here, and the visual consists of...

inspector: do you have the stock cat?
you: yes.
inspector: good, where's the obdII port?

edit: maybe he asks if the horn and signals work instead of about the cat
S/C Crew Member #7 CRSX Zombie Eradication Team Member #10|Anime Crew 三番
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Xinu38/Untitled-2_zpsceedtb4z.gif

Last edited by Agent Smith; 10-27-2010 at 04:17 AM..
Agent Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
fbmbmx151
gingers have no souls

fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fbmbmx151 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Glad I live in Ny Its just emissions(cat needed) But when you know people you can get around things

Yuengling Crew
fbmbmx151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
tiger
I lurk a lot.

tiger is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesessiah View Post
that sucks conrad, but good to see you around.

we only do obdII here, and the visual consists of...

inspector: do you have the stock cat?
you: yes.
inspector: good, where's the obdII port?

edit: maybe he asks if the horn and signals work instead of about the cat
Wess, your edit seems more correct. I've never been asked about the cat. Although they did once ask to look under my hood to see what size engine I had. I replied "oh 2.0" ...
tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
3rdGearGRNDRR
Section 8

3rdGearGRNDRR is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i am not surprised at all,
i sweat bullets everyday waiting for some cop to pull me over for nothing and then impounding my car for supercharger and test pipe

CARB sucks, a shelby supercharged mustang will be carb certified, a old 65 aston martin spewing smoke will be ok,
but not a 2010 JDM stock civic- go figure

i didnt know ts still drives an rsx
Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
mikegedge

mikegedge is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I passed no problem in Woodland with my Comptech SC with a way smaller pully, bigger RC injectors (Nice CF cover helps to cover those up), injen CAI and an ITR exhaust.

I admit that the smog place was taking their time looking the car over with me trying to explain everything to them but at the end got the cert.
mikegedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
3rdGearGRNDRR
Section 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegedge View Post
I passed no problem in Woodland with my Comptech SC with a way smaller pully, bigger RC injectors (Nice CF cover helps to cover those up), injen CAI and an ITR exhaust.

I admit that the smog place was taking their time looking the car over with me trying to explain everything to them but at the end got the cert.
exactly where did you get it smogged in woodland?

passing the sniffer is easy (this year), its the visual inspection that will get you failed, his eo numbers were off, i forget when comptech itself closed, maybe, didnt get the ok for 2004 passed in time for his header
i passed sniffer with pcv removed, in the past, failed the visual

Maybe i should spray paint my new pcv hose black to hide any lettring, its an orange fuel hose on an oil catch can
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
mikegedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGearGRNDRR View Post
exactly where did you get it smogged in woodland?

passing the sniffer is easy (this year), its the visual inspection that will get you failed, his eo numbers were off, i forget when comptech itself closed, maybe, didnt get the ok for 2004 passed in time for his header
i passed sniffer with pcv removed, in the past, failed the visual

Maybe i should spray paint my new pcv hose black to hide any lettring, its an orange fuel hose on an oil catch can
Speedee oil on main street.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
blackrsx530
CT

blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrsx530 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Speedee oil on main street.
did you pass with the race header on?
blackrsx530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
mikegedge

Yes, with the ITR header with heat shields on.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
3rdGearGRNDRR
Section 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrsx530 View Post
did you pass with the race header on?
Quote:
Yes, with the ITR header with heat shields on.
not a race header,
still need the cat to clean emissions
Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
JayDEmm722
BECAUSE! racecar...

JayDEmm722 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Man fuck cali lol
Boost Slut Krew Member #20
Formerly JayRSXS
11.86 @ 116.97 1.77 60ft.... First Run Ever!
HaLFAmAzinG120 (2:31:52 PM): fuck me like you hate me!
HaLFAmAzinG120 (2:31:56 PM): oh wrong IM sorry
LoSt1nY3RpAnTIEz (2:32:23 PM): O.O
JayDEmm722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #16
Inglamos
Average Member

Inglamos has been a little shit in the past
Man I didn't even know you were still around! I remember reading your threads on boost when I purchased my RSX back in 04!

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Steeda CAI/Tune
Inglamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
hondaluver
Bar'd TWICE

hondaluver is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i just get a illegal smog... waste of time..
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #18
smokeyone

smokeyone is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Conrad, did you do anything to your Kpro tune before the test to try to lower the HC, NO and CO?
smokeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #19
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyone View Post
Conrad, did you do anything to your Kpro tune before the test to try to lower the HC, NO and CO?
I didn't do anything to the calibration, yet the car passed that part with flying colors: Max allowable HC is 60 at 15mph and 43 at 25mph. Mine was 8 and 8. Max allowable NO is 459 and 746. Mine were 16 and 18. Max allowable C) was 0.53 and 0.51. Mine were 0.01 and 0.01.

I haven't been back for the re-check, but here's what I did:

Replaced the rubber hose that goes from the cylinder hear to the AEM CAI from the one that came with the CARB-approved AEM kit to one that is, specifically, for evap purposes. That was a pain as almost no one has 3/4-inch evap hoses, and so I had the make a smaller one fit. It's disturbing that a smog station can simply declare something that came with a CARB-approved kit as illegal when the Air Resources Board itself approved it.

For the header, I contacted CT Engineering, which took over when Comptech closed. Nate, who had initially sold me my first Comptech parts answered the phone and I told him the situation with the header (i.e. my Comptech street header had a plaque on it that went with a CARB approval EO that only covered 2002-2003 for the RSX. The same exact part was later also approved for 2004, but had a different EO number in the sticker). Nate was extremely helpful and actually created a new sticker for me that listed all pertaining CARB EO numbers for the header.
Mods: Stage 3 Comptech SC, AEM CAI, Comptech street header, stock cat, modified stock injectors, Hondata K-Pro, Hondata IMG, Fujitsubo PG catback, cat, 225/45-17 Goodrich G-force Rivals on Kazera rims, Mugen SS, Quaife LSD, CT lightweight flywheel and street clutch, ACT heavy-duty pressure plate, CT rear sway/tie bar and titanium front strut brace, Type-R replica wing, CT short shifter, Auto Meter Sport Comp full-sweep boost gauge. Current results: 290 whp on DynaPack. Web: My RSX and K-Pro page. My Blog: ECU Tuning
Old 11-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
3rdGearGRNDRR
Section 8

Im selling my RSX soon and prob sticking to something stock,
Prop 23 was defeated here, it gives CARB more power,
Cali regulations make me sick
it leaves too much interpretation for cops, repair referees and smog techs/

automatic fail
Old 11-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
I can't tell you how great it is to live here in WI where I do where we have NO emissions testing what so ever!!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #22
smokeyone

Thanks for the update Conrad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb212 View Post
I didn't do anything to the calibration, yet the car passed that part with flying colors: Max allowable HC is 60 at 15mph and 43 at 25mph. Mine was 8 and 8. Max allowable NO is 459 and 746. Mine were 16 and 18. Max allowable C) was 0.53 and 0.51. Mine were 0.01 and 0.01.

I haven't been back for the re-check, but here's what I did:

Replaced the rubber hose that goes from the cylinder hear to the AEM CAI from the one that came with the CARB-approved AEM kit to one that is, specifically, for evap purposes. That was a pain as almost no one has 3/4-inch evap hoses, and so I had the make a smaller one fit. It's disturbing that a smog station can simply declare something that came with a CARB-approved kit as illegal when the Air Resources Board itself approved it.

For the header, I contacted CT Engineering, which took over when Comptech closed. Nate, who had initially sold me my first Comptech parts answered the phone and I told him the situation with the header (i.e. my Comptech street header had a plaque on it that went with a CARB approval EO that only covered 2002-2003 for the RSX. The same exact part was later also approved for 2004, but had a different EO number in the sticker). Nate was extremely helpful and actually created a new sticker for me that listed all pertaining CARB EO numbers for the header.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Well, I finally took the car back to the smog place. This time it passed.

Moral of the story: if you're smogging a modified car in California, make certain that you have ALL the CARB stickers, and that the stickers cover your model year.

Also, it's really great to have a company that'll you a sticker seven years after you buy a part. So kudos to CT Engineering.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
smokeyone

Congrats on passing through the Smog Nazi's tests. My car is pretty close to yours in terms of set up.

I ended up having to put the stock Cat back on, and changed the tune inorder to pass.

Just for reference here are the limits for Ontario Canada. The first number is for an acceleration test, the second number is for curb idle:

HC ppm - 66 - 150
CO% - 0.37 - 0.70
NO ppm - 505 - N/A

I initally failed the acceleration test on the NO ppm requirements. PITA. I wish everyone here better luck than I because I had to cut into my custom exhaust to fit the old Cat in there for the test.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #25
speedengineer
Not a Newb Member

speedengineer is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Spaz View Post
I can't tell you how great it is to live here in WI where I do where we have NO emissions testing what so ever!!
Amen to that!

I'm in the process of searching for jobs since I'll be graduating in spring - I have actually decided that I will NOT look/take anything in California, party for this reason. Ridiculous amount of hoops they make you guys jump through...
speedengineer is offline   Reply With Quote