Gas station's with 94 Octane - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
napo_rsx
Mr. P.I.M.P baby!

napo_rsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Gas station's with 94 Octane

Hey Gents!
was hoping someone can help me out.
Does anyone know of a list or something that would show where all the gas stations in the US that Carry 94 Octane?

I have a buddy of mine from Canada who wants to visit, but his car has a JDM ECU and is mapped for 94octane.
would make things easier if I could find a gas station that holds it.

Let me know, thanks for your help.

Napleon
napo_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Frunkis
Casual Scum

Frunkis is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
93 and throw in some octane booster.
Frunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
abpRSX-S

abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx abpRSX-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yea idk of any stations around my area that carry 94... Best I can find is 93
-Broke Student Crew #25-
-335whp JRSC RSX
abpRSX-S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
ODellRsx

ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ODellRsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
No 94 around here, Shell has 93. Best i got too.
ODellRsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
napo_rsx
Mr. P.I.M.P baby!

Well that's no good.
Has anyone actually tried the Octane boosters before? Do they actually work?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
HOODREX

HOODREX has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by napo_rsx View Post
Well that's no good.
Has anyone actually tried the Octane boosters before? Do they actually work?
My cousin used it when his mom filled his turbo WRX up with 85 octane (pretty much the equivalent to 87 octane here due to the thin air/altitude). He said it worked alright but honestly said the car ran better when he put 91 in. I have had friends who have used it as well and told me they thought it was junk for the price you pay for it. You probably are better off buying expensive racing gas if you want real high octane gas.
HOODREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
napo_rsx
Mr. P.I.M.P baby!

Interesting, thanks for the tips guys.

I wonder why in Canada they Offer the 94octane but not the US...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
dc5_rmnb

dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by napo_rsx View Post
Interesting, thanks for the tips guys.

I wonder why in Canada they Offer the 94octane but not the US...
Probably because they are different countries? Things differ from place to place sometimes.
dc5_rmnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
nineteendc5
Master Member

nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nineteendc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
it wont hurt it to run 93 octane.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
HOODREX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5_rmnb View Post
Probably because they are different countries? Things differ from place to place sometimes.
Different countries and altitude plays a factor.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
dc5_rmnb

dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOODREX View Post
Different countries and altitude plays a factor.
True, good catch.
dc5_rmnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
matrix22
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED

matrix22 has been a little shit in the past
now from what i've been told by a bird is that Higher rated octane gas means a less volatile explosion of fuel air mix. so, it's less bang for the buck? but for high compression engines, it lessens knock ?

or am i just wrong about it?
matrix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
SnOwHIObandito
LessGOmoarSLOW

SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SnOwHIObandito is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Some sstations around me carry race grade 100.
but next is 93.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
bvans
DC5-ED9

bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
damn cali with only 91 octane... e85 station by my house though
After 9:30 Performance, K-Tuned, #dardantuned
bvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
HOODREX

Where I live in Colorado we have 85, 87, and 91. Due to the elevation the octane ratings here can be lower because the air is thinner here. My auto teacher said that 85 here is really like 87, 87 is really like 89, and 91 is like 93 octane here. Even so I always put what the manufacture recommends. Realistically because I have a jdm spec engine that calls for 91 octane I could put 87 in it and it would run supposedly pretty good. I have never filled my car with anything less then 91 since the entire time I have had the car I have put 91 in it. I just figure run what the manufacture recommends or higher. When I was in Nevada I noticed some places carried pretty high octane that was like 96-100 I believe.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
HOODREX

On another note if your car is fuel injected you really shouldn't run anything less then 87 I read in my auto class. Lower octane like 85 can cause knocking overtime that's why I don't use it even at the altitude I am at. If you have a high compression car run 91.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
sharpsicle
MECP Installer

sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx sharpsicle is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix22 View Post
now from what i've been told by a bird is that Higher rated octane gas means a less volatile explosion of fuel air mix. so, it's less bang for the buck? but for high compression engines, it lessens knock ?

or am i just wrong about it?
You're mixing up resistance to pre-detonation with energy contained. All octanes have approx the same amount of stored energy, the higher octanes are simply less resistant to pre-detonation due to compression. The lower the octane, the lower the compression ratio needed to create pinging. Rumors abound all over the web about better performance simply by upping the octane people use, and that simply isn't the case. On the other hand, engine upgrades may require a higher octane, but remember the gain is from the upgrades and not the fuel.

As for the Canadian 94oct vs US 93oct, you will likely see no issues at all. Fuel octane at the pump can vary from 1/2 to 1 rating from posted, hell there are even times where pump 93 tests at 95. He'll be just fine.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
HOODREX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
You're mixing up resistance to pre-detonation with energy contained. All octanes have approx the same amount of stored energy, the higher octanes are simply less resistant to pre-detonation due to compression. The lower the octane, the lower the compression ratio needed to create pinging. Rumors abound all over the web about better performance simply by upping the octane people use, and that simply isn't the case. On the other hand, engine upgrades may require a higher octane, but remember the gain is from the upgrades and not the fuel.

As for the Canadian 94oct vs US 93oct, you will likely see no issues at all. Fuel octane at the pump can vary from 1/2 to 1 rating from posted, hell there are even times where pump 93 tests at 95. He'll be just fine.
Some great info here I feel like I am in fuels class all over again!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
noobDC5yo
yooooooooooo

noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx noobDC5yo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Another thing to note: In different countries, fuel is rated differently. There are three "scales" to rate octane in gasoline, in the USA we take the "RON" and "MON" scales, add them together, then divide by 2 to get the average octane rating. In canada he may be putting in what is marked as 94 octane but to our "Standards" it could actually be 91 octane

Edit: turns out Canada and the USA use the same rating system =b Still, the difference between 93 and 94 octane is minimal, and you might actually find that some gasses are underrated or overrated, just do some research

Last edited by noobDC5yo; 02-06-2013 at 11:30 PM..
noobDC5yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #20
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Mountain Run?

Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
93 is fine for his 94 tune. Just have common sense when u drive...
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
matrix22
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED

matrix22 has been a little shit in the past
thank you for the reply.
matrix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #22
Snailfan

Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Snailfan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Download the app "gas buddy" on your phone, shoes you every gas station, what octain's they carry and the price
Snailfan is offline   Reply With Quote