Best trans fluid to use for type s? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Transmission & Drive Train RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Gyll

Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Best trans fluid to use for type s?

I bought a somewhat low mileage type s back in December and everything’s completely mint besides that famous 3rd gear wall. It’s not bad all but I think it’s time to change the gear oil anyways and I think it might help.
What do you guys recommend I run ?
Gyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyll View Post
I bought a somewhat low mileage type s back in December and everythingís completely mint besides that famous 3rd gear wall. Itís not bad all but I think itís time to change the gear oil anyways and I think it might help.
What do you guys recommend I run ?
OEM trans fluid has worked fine for me. My 02 RSX has 185K miles on it with no issues.
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Gyll

Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gyll is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I Have about 85k on mine. I’d like to switch to amoil / redline I heard that they work sometimes for the getting into gear problem and makes the gearbox a little bit more smooth.
What would you recommend besides Honda/Acura mtf

Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
remyrounds
Site Sponsor

remyrounds is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
OEM Honda, Redline is what I have used. really I have not noticed a difference.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Gyll

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
alskk

alskk is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Honda Green MTF OEM.
alskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #7
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Redline MT90
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
nahikian

nahikian User will be banned for a week, please report them to an Admin
Amsoil synchromesh corrected my 3rd gear wall problem. GM Synchromesh is reported to correct this problem as well.

At a service, the dealer replaced the Amsoil with Honda MTF and the problem returned. I put Amsoil back in and the problem was corrected immediately.
-- Stolen and stripped 6/1/17, bought shell from ins 8/4/17
-- Purchased replacement 2002 FRP RSX Type-S . . .
nahikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I do a mix: 1 GM/ACDelco Synchromesh & 1 Redline MTF (but not MT90 -- unless you live in Florida, it's a bit much (too viscous at any other temps than hot), but I suppose if you mix it like I do it won't be a problem). I've also mixed the Synchromesh with Honda MTF Green label and it's good too.

*** I know it's not 2qts total but just don't use all of the 2nd bottle ok? ***

But anyways, the GM Synchromesh is really what was key for me (it has added friction modifiers... the White bottle, not the black one)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:11 AM   #10
808ster
Master Member

808ster is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Amsoil synchromesh is hands down the best.
808ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Dude, Hawaiian, where are you going to put your RSX during Lane!

How often do you feel you have to fluid change the Amsoil though. I've never tried it
Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #12
Hyoriu

Hyoriu is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
Dude, Hawaiian, where are you going to put your RSX during Lane!

How often do you feel you have to fluid change the Amsoil though. I've never tried it
Amsoil is nice but I feel like for longevity, it doesn't last anywhere near as long as what honda MTF would. It shifted buttery smooth and transmission was like velvet when I used it but after a couple of thousand miles or so, that golden feeling went away and it was like normal again.

I'm currently using Honda MTF in my Type S and I haven't tried to switch to amsoil yet.

When I used amsoil though, this was in my LS Integra's transmission
Hyoriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #13
alonzo562

alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx alonzo562 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Torco racing transmission fluid if you have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. No issues or grinds if you know how to drive.
alonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
KillaICM
Mamimi

KillaICM is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Tried honda and amsoil. Amsoil hands down.

Zombie Eradication Team #69
KillaICM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #15
pbwe

pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
with original OEM fluid [at 33-25k mi] shifting was "notchy" and "gritty" feeling and at times needed effort to get in gear
at 35k replaced with amsoil, and all the poor behaviors went away
(purchased the car with 33k, determined the original owner never downshifted into first)
now at 45k with same charge of amsoil and zero issues and always excellent shifting
pbwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:57 AM   #16
TheRickster

TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
GM Synchromesh here.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
rsx-s03

rsx-s03 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Amsoil

My Youtube channel
My Showoff thread: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1115986
Need AMSOIL??
rsx-s03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #18
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwe View Post
with original OEM fluid [at 33-25k mi] shifting was "notchy" and "gritty" feeling and at times needed effort to get in gear
at 35k replaced with amsoil, and all the poor behaviors went away
(purchased the car with 33k, determined the original owner never downshifted into first)
now at 45k with same charge of amsoil and zero issues and always excellent shifting
Should he be?
Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #19
pbwe

pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pbwe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
This was noting that even at 33kmi there was a marked difference in the downshift feel into first gear versus the others. Since the first gear is sychromesh in these transmissions, that is a normal capability. Rev matching is appropriate/prudent at the upper end of the gear/speed range, but less so lower in the range. I don't force or shift hard/fast. Currently, the first gear downshift feel is the same as for the other gears.

With the new-to-me transmission, and before the switch to amsoil, car would have to be below 10 mph for the first gear to feel safely go in, second gear felt like it wanted to jump out of gear with little shifter pull (had to concentrate that clutch pedal was fully to the floor before pulling the shifter), and third/forth gears felt to resist upshifts (a somewhat slowed feel/push during shifting). Within 30 miles of the amsoil change all issues except the balky downshift into first gear went away. With continued driving, i intentionally broadened the speed range for downshifting into first. Transmission operation in all gears seems normal a the moment, but i am not drag/race aggressive with the shifting.
pbwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #20
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Of the 3 stick shifts I've owned (2 were Hondas), you have to be a revmatch king to successfully engage first gear at any double-digit speed. I thought this is true of most/any transmission, and is why people choose 2nd gear if the car is almost anything but stopped.

I'm not saying this is how you must drive; I'm more enamored that you are capable (or your transmission allows you) to even do this. I mean, do you use it for engine braking in 1st gear? In a 2nd gen 6-spd it's pretty aggressive, akin to pretty much just applying the brakes.

Your descriptions are apt. I might just have to try this miracle fluid