Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

17x9 or 17x8 for track??

Tags
17x8 17x9 track
5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  eardrumkillers 
#1 ·
I'm currently running 17x9 +35 rpf1s all around. They look nice but I'm wondering if it's a bit too wide for proper cornering dynamics. I'm dropped to about a 1.5 finger gap all around, camber kits installed. -1.5 camber all around.

I am considering dropping down to 17x8 +35 with 245/40/17 tires.

Anyone have experience with this sizing? How does it handle? Pictures on how this setup would fit?

I also notice a lot of tram lining with the x9 wide wheel, the x8 will probably improve this as well but not sure.

Pictures/experience is appreciated!

#2 ·
Unless you're trying to go really serious with a track dedicated build, I'd just stick with what you have and run 235/45/17's. I don't think it'll make enough difference to justify the money and I'd expect the general consensus would be to to stay with the x9's.

More grip is always better. Between the two anyways.

Disclaimer: I haven't owned an rsx in years.

#3 ·
Hmm true, yeah I'm currently running 245/40/17 Direzza DZ102 on the x9 wheels. Only got a chance to track them once last summer and it felt kind of sluggish in the corners. Could be just a bad choice of tire. Was going to try 255/40/17 rs3s next.

#4 · (Edited)
Thats an awful lot of tire.

235 is about the lowest you'd want to go on x9 but could also be the sweet spot.

Even in the miata world(where I currently exist) people opt for the widest possible tire they can use within the rules, despite the power(or lack of) they're making. Still though, I would use either the 235 or 245 at most.

Hopefully someone with a little more current familiarity on the chassis can come in and lend their opinion.

#5 ·
Similar to what Kevin advised, the only input I have is: if you do go for a x8" wheel, don't put 245s on them. I think that's a bit wide of a tire for that wheel. I went from 225/45 to 215/45 on my 17x8" RPF1s. I haven't tracked the car yet but at my ride height the 215s don't rub the inside when turned full lock (the 225s do)

#6 ·
I personally say keep your rims and run Bridgestone's Potenza RE71R 255 tires all around and just run like -3 in the front and -2 in the back. Thats what I run and its great, lots of grip, the tires wear even, and braking is good. A friend of mine ran that and then switched down to 245 for TT rules in NASA, he runs around the same times nothing really different. I think the small difference you want to do isn't really worth to buy new rims etc. 255 is a wide tire, but I feel it fits the car well personally and on top of that the setup weighs about the same as OEM wheels!!!! Just my 2 cents haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.