Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

K20 in Del sol ?

Tags
del k20 sol
2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Mikeman711 
#1 ·
Ok my first Honda was a del sol because I fell in love with the Supra and could not afford and I just really like the top that came off and window in back went down

Ok on to my question

Ever since I had that car I loved it and wanted to do a b18 swap mid engine rwd

Is it even possible to do a k20 mid engine rwd del sol since you have to swap more then just the axels I’ll actually never did the swapping or know much but want to learn

Now I do know some guys do the awd from a crv but I read it’s worthless unless you modified the transmission to be better but still not a performance transmission what I was told

But I want rwd mid engine and I’m putting allot of money into my engine and transmission so just curious if it’s possible to do the swap the same as a b18 c I seen someone weld the mounts and I seen someone cut the whole trunk out and then cut the engine bay out of a civic and weld it all together

If you know anything or want to shed your opinion let me know

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok thanks I checked it out really does not explain just says he has it done so let me clarify and if you can help me understand that would be cool and yes when your doing s build like this money does not matter it’s a car build dream car

Ok so I could take my k20 and transmission after doing what I said to trunk but I’d use my rsx engine bay and cut out then I’d go to line up and what not and the part I’m questioning is I can use the same Axel from the front ? In the back or custom axel then ?
Cause I know normal swap would be whole setup in front and plus I do want to add dudes vent is ok but if your making rear wheel drive I’d wide body the car custom wider tires make it wide enough so the vent blends in not sticks out and do to both sides and the trunk needs vents as well And I seen the setup I don’t know how but they had radiator in front cooling to the back and I seen the radiators in the rear bumper with a trunk with slots and dual fan shroud helping as well !

But I guess on deciding if I’d just stick with b18 or if it’s worth k20

Is do I need custom axels for the back

And just came to me could make a mid engine del sol 4 wheel steer from the 4 wheel steer prelude

Of course if I need custom Axels then mise as well just cause I have not seen it but don’t want a twin engine car I have see those

#6 ·
when your doing s build like this money does not matter it’s a car build dream car
If money is truly no object, then take the car to a fabrication shop, tell them what you want, and then return in a few months to write a check.

There are very few people that could pull something like this off in their garage with a welder and some scrap metal.

#7 ·
Who said money was not a object ? I said when you build something a dream car you are not worried about how expensive and whats what’s the point in paying someone when me and a buddy can do and be more enjoyable and learn knowledge about this ! Because this kind of build going to a fabrication shop would be insane and stupid ! If im asking about it I wanted to know if I could use factory parts witch the guy above already said I can and he showed me pics of it being done that alone helped ! Thanks for your advice to say to take to the shop
I never thought about taking a vehicle to a shop ! Wait I don’t even know what a shop
Is what is it ? Please do tell! I’d like to
Learn more about this so called shop you speak of !

#11 ·
Who said money was not a object ?
Uh...pretty sure you did, unless this comment:

when your doing s build like this money does not matter it’s a car build dream car
means something other than what it appears to mean?

I said when you build something a dream car you are not worried about how expensive
Right, hence why I said that if money's truly not of concern to you, then take it to a professional with engineering experience that can plan all of this out using CAD and then execute it in a way that makes the car safe and structurally sound.

and whats what’s the point in paying someone when me and a buddy can do and be more enjoyable and learn knowledge about this ! Because this kind of build going to a fabrication shop would be insane and stupid ! If im asking about it I wanted to know if I could use factory parts witch the guy above already said I can and he showed me pics of it being done that alone helped ! Thanks for your advice to say to take to the shop
I never thought about taking a vehicle to a shop ! Wait I don’t even know what a shop
Is what is it ? Please do tell! I’d like to
Learn more about this so called shop you speak of!
I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but just in case you are not, the higher end speed and custom shops are going to have design and fabrication services. I mean, if you want to attempt it yourself for the experience, be my guest, but if it's a vehicle you intend to drive on public streets, my concern would be making sure that it's structurally sound and safe.

Scrap metal it’s called going to the metal shop and telling them what you want and they can cut to
Order they can bend all that ! So scrap metal is funny to
Me cause I never once said i would use scrap metal all new metal and we build are own truck racks for a concrete trucks when we get new ones ! He also helped me extend a frame on a tiny home out of a old rv as well and this is not a cheap welder it was at least $3000 I know and guy who would be helping me as plenty of experience and he does not charge me money I help
Him in his projects and he helps me called a friends ship just have to pay for material and I have no doubt he could not make this since we have pics now to produce what I would
Need as well !
I might not know how to weld but I would never even try welding this or even think of a project like this if I did not know someone who could do it ! I bet we if I started it at the end of concrete season this year we could get it done before end of winter ! All the welding and installing everything and drive ready ! We might not be a auto shop but we fix everything for the job and weld allot of stuff on trailers and have a car lift and boss does not care if we use his stuff only rule he had was no stuff can be welded with new welder the first year unless it’s for work related only ! And if he has a problem he always will let us use stuff if we offer him
Money and pay and replace any material we use and he knows I always have replaced material !

And the welding needed for this job looks way less then what it takes for the truck rack
I never said that the welder was cheap, and by "scrap," I just meant metal stock, purchased or otherwise. Sorry for any confusion.

#8 ·
Scrap metal it’s called going to the metal shop and telling them what you want and they can cut to
Order they can bend all that ! So scrap metal is funny to
Me cause I never once said i would use scrap metal all new metal and we build are own truck racks for a concrete trucks when we get new ones ! He also helped me extend a frame on a tiny home out of a old rv as well and this is not a cheap welder it was at least $3000 I know and guy who would be helping me as plenty of experience and he does not charge me money I help
Him in his projects and he helps me called a friends ship just have to pay for material and I have no doubt he could not make this since we have pics now to produce what I would
Need as well !
I might not know how to weld but I would never even try welding this or even think of a project like this if I did not know someone who could do it ! I bet we if I started it at the end of concrete season this year we could get it done before end of winter ! All the welding and installing everything and drive ready ! We might not be a auto shop but we fix everything for the job and weld allot of stuff on trailers and have a car lift and boss does not care if we use his stuff only rule he had was no stuff can be welded with new welder the first year unless it’s for work related only ! And if he has a problem he always will let us use stuff if we offer him
Money and pay and replace any material we use and he knows I always have replaced material !

And the welding needed for this job looks way less then what it takes for the truck rack

#9 ·
with some square and rectangular tubing, a chop saw, a grinder and a welder - most anybody with any fabbing experience could pull it off.
the hardest part looks to be fabbing strut towers that have the correct placement and angle.

It looks like the rectangular tubing for the main structure is 2"x 4" with 3/16" wall thickness

as far as building it with scrap metal, i guess i depends on what you consider scrap

Code:
scrap1[B]Dictionary result for scrap[/B]

/skrap/
[I]noun[/I]
noun: [B]scrap metal[/B]

[LIST=1]
[*]1. 
a small piece or amount of something, especially one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
[*]2. 
discarded metal for reprocessing.
"She sold her gold ring for scrap so she had money to buy a gas powered dildo."
[/LIST]
the only place i can think of that would have what they consider scrap to build this is a trailer shop.

here is my one of my scrap metal bins.

#10 ·
Yea I very much agree those would be the most difficult now without the pics yes it would take much longer ! And yea we buy all are rebar from the same place so I just pay my boss and he gets what ever I need for a good deal we go thrue so much rebar a year and that shit is not cheap ! So buying new metal really is not that bad you know I mean yea it gets pricey but I bet in new metal with extra for mistakes make $1000 tops and that’s shooting high I was just saying if it’s a project why not try to achieve your self I’m not in a hurry I don’t need in a month if I was in time line then maybe think about taking to shop but I just think it would be awesome you know cause I never built something to that gratitude most I ever built custom as in vehicle is my tiny home it’s no where near done but hope to be this summer back and other side still need done then siding! Extended 4’ and from the gas tank back all new floor from rotted flooring and new frame all the way to gas tank pounded in 1 1/2’ inside rail and welded but if I can do a build like this and never done anything like before I think I can do anything I put my mind to and I like keeping my hands busy

Attachments

#12 ·
Yea I did state that but not meaning what you think I meant ! I meant if your doing a build and you want to be what you want in your eyes then you should not put a money cap on the build ! I know it will be expensive but I’m also not
Looking to sell rwd cars if I was plan on making a kit
To
Sell then maybe I would but I’m not I’m doing it for my enjoy ! And if my tiny home so far has taken the long trips I have taken in it with all the modifications to it ! With that new frame we welded I’m sure we can do a dam good job

Oh and yes we can also fix trucks that have had a front end accident with the frame pushed in they hit a pole ! Was pushed in like a v radiator leaked but ac condenser did
Not but we replaced all that also and we hooked up
Are boss 1979 with new transmission to a chain we use to strap loader down we attached it to the tail gate left about a 1’ -2’ slack in front chain and we had to keep changjnbe one side was worse then with another truck same kind of truck same year and all !
We attached the chain to the rear and then the front of the other truck with no slack I’m in the fucked up truck holding the brakes and guy in other truck is holding his brakes
And guy in dump
Truck is pulling it forward we got it stretch back with all holes on one side lined up 1/8” shit not
Perfect but people said it was comedy but we got the truck put back together all used body parts cane with the truck
Oh and both trucks they were 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 just the one in back had the towing package and better brakes and almost everything has bin replaced but it was junk the middle one had no rust only reason we got it and then I traided it for my rsx type s when winter came and I found the 4x4 will need work and I was just done missed my rsx and found someone to do a even trade new 4x4 would have costed to
Much already had to
Much in it and the rsx only needed a clutch had all the suspension done to it !
All new seals in the engine I installed a quife lsd in the tranny it has 200,000 on the dash but like I said the motor
Looks like it was gone thrue all the way down I’m going to build it soon as well and the guys at the transmission shop saidnits a very nice transmission barely any metal
From grinding and when I drove it it drove fine replaced all stuff that will
Give me better shifting times and the slave and master but got off topic

I’m a Honda lover I just like other company’s also but Honda is far more advanced into their engines ! I wish they would design a nice sport heavy duty truck that’s a turbo diesel ! That would be bad ass only thing I’m waiting for from them for that if they will !

Just think a Honda type r turbo diesel awd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.