Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

You should ALWAYS bypass the Bose amp....here's why

327K views 721 replies 251 participants last post by  Cstout 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A while ago, I posted that I was getting some serious static/noise from my JVC KDSH909. The problem was the Bose amp.

I had just hooked it up with the wiring harness and although the sound quality was better, there was noise. I bypassed the amp this weekend by just putting a jumper wire between the correct wires down at the amp's connector. The noise problem has completely gone away. I highly recommend bypassing the Bose amp. :thumbs up:

#624 ·
It's tough to diagnose without being there. But if you have the line outs set to drive a sub, and then are using the Bose to push low frequency program material; the sound would definitely be crappy. And it would make sense that it could blow a fuse; especially when getting it up to a higher level.

I'd do a factory reset of all your parameters and start from there. When Tony gets on here; he should be able to sort out all the harness questions. Or you might consider just doing the Bose Bypass (beginning of the thread). Your HU probably sounds better with its own internal amp.

#626 ·
I guess the first thing to ask is on the distorted sound are you actually hearing any highs at all as it really does sound like you have the unit on sub as that would be the default for the RCA outs on that HU.

Second why the hell did you buy a HU with 1 set of RCA's when you can get one with 3 sets of preouts and 2 steps higher on the food chain for 5 bucks more: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_76443_Kenwood-KDC-HD458U.html

#634 ·
I didnt even think twice about the RCA inputs considering I was planning on just using my old amp and sub, but from what I learned these past few weeks I may sell it and get one with three. I havent tried anything with it the past few days because its been cold as dicks so ill let ya'll know how it goes when I do.

#628 ·
Kenwood or Pioneer with at least 2 sets or preouts, just look at the specs make sure they have the features you want. JVC;s are ok as well as they are pretty much Kenwoods with different branding and a little different look.

#632 ·
Well now you're using the Pioneer as the amp instead of the Bose. Before... your Pioneer's pre-amp signal was going to the Bose for the final stage of amplification. You would have been using RCAs to connect to the Bose. Now you should just have a connection to the speaker wires directly from the Pioneer, right? If all the connections are correct; I'd look at the settings in the Pioneer and make sure it's set to perform as a single unit.

#636 ·
One minute of Miami-Bass music? One minute of NPR? Or just one minute in general? I'm trying to figure if you're just pushing it too hard. If it's an electrical fault; the fuse should blow the instant that you turn it on. Just to be tin foil hat sure... connect the antenna and make sure that the alternate power wires (power on relay, powered antenna, illumination) are all correctly connected, disconnected or are not getting to ground.

#639 ·
Less than a minute of a mellow The Used song at about level 13. All the connections on the harness have the little caps/crimped on. Any unused connection have their own cap.

are you bypassing bose or integrating, also are you connecting the illumination wire or not, as in some RSX's with this connected it has been an issue.
Currently integrating using the Metra 70-1725 harness. The illumination wire is not connected.

I have my harness wired up to the 16-pin harness that came with my KDC-258U, not the KDC-HD458U. Not sure if that could cause any issues but I figured it shouldn't. There are a few different connections on the HD458U but again, it was playing without a problem at first.

#640 ·
well only connections you need to be using are the rca's, red, yellow, black, and blue/white line all other connections should be taped off but blowing fuses like that makes me think you have a short somewhere and you will just have to inspect the lines and look for nick's in the wire insulation.

#641 ·
That... or the Bose is just dying. Maybe pull the fuse on the Bose amp (I think it's on the back) so it has no power. Power up the HU and observe for a few minutes. If it goes well; I'm thinking that the Bose is sick and beginning to draw too much current as it warms up.

#642 ·
Why wouldnt it short out with the stock headunit if it did have a nick somewhere? I really find it hard to believe that it would,, considering the original owner didnt touch anything on the car. Ill get back to ya'll when the weather warms up again.

#643 ·
I am talking the HU or Metra harness not the factory one.

#644 ·
I did have my brown and blue (antenna connect) wired together on the 16-pin kenwood harness, and thought that would have fixed it, but no luck. As soon as I turn the volume up past 20ish the fuse blows. I'm going to rewire it using electrical tape instead of the caps im using and see if that changes anything.

#645 ·
Hey, I just upgraded my headunit to an aftermarket one and I got the buzz! I didn't know this was going to happen, so with this being said what's the easier way to get rid of it? Just buying the harness or rewiring the Bose amp. Also, if I'm wanting to put in my own subs and amp, can I just unplug the Bose one and not worry about it at all? Sorry for noobie questions. Haha

#648 ·
Your car has two amps stock. One under the seat that I assume is the one you bypassed and one built into the sub box in the spare tire. You probably didn't bypass it, just disconnected it. I have currently bypassed my stock amp and running polk speakers to my head unit and have powered the stock sub amp to continue to use the stock sub, sounds great just pops when turned on.

#650 ·
If you bypassed the front bose, the sub amp becomes disconnected as well as it gets its signal from the front bose. I suggest you read the audio FAQ's as that will probably answer 90% of your audio questions.

#652 ·
Please describe 'low'. Low in volume, in tone? If you are positive that the wiring is correct; I'm thinking that your setting are to blame. Maybe do a factory reset? You could have the front speaker outputs set to have a low pass filter. Or they could be set to carry the subwoofer signal. Often... it's easier to just start from the beginning than it is to troubleshoot.

#653 ·
He figured it out, pm'ed me last night, Had to do a factory reset on the HU.

#655 ·
So this noise everyone is speaking of is a all the time thing, or just when somethings are on. I noticed a whining noise with a stock head unit when the ac was on and I would accelerate and than when I installed a kenwood its much more noticeable. Only when the ac is on though. The harness was made to plug and play for the type s's bose system though. And on account it was present before the new unit im not sure if bypassing would do any good, any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.