5 speed to 6 speed transmission - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Transmission & Drive Train RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
YOUNG_SOULJA

YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Wink 5 speed to 6 speed transmission

HI Any1 know if i could buy a new type-s tranny Case, use my 5 speed internals from my base rsx transmission and add a new tsx 6th gear? would that work?

i did some researsh and i found the 5 speed conversion kit, but they say it remove the reverse protection and i could select Reverse instead of 6th gear by accident.. i think that would destroy my transmission right away so i was wonderin if there was another way of doing it.

Thanks
YOUNG_SOULJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
XG624
OG Base Crew

XG624 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Could just buy my 6 speed transmission and go from there

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=842062

XG624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Stig
Because STIGCAR

Stig is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG_SOULJA View Post
HI Any1 know if i could buy a new type-s tranny Case, use my 5 speed internals from my base rsx transmission and add a new tsx 6th gear? would that work?

i did some researsh and i found the 5 speed conversion kit, but they say it remove the reverse protection and i could select Reverse instead of 6th gear by accident.. i think that would destroy my transmission right away so i was wonderin if there was another way of doing it.

Thanks
Yes that would work. You don't need a new trans case though. The base case can fit 6 gears.

There is no reverse lock-out on the base. You would need a Type-S trans with the solenoid on it, the Type-S engine harness to connect to it, and an ECU that can recognize and actuate that solenoid. It's pretty hard to go into reverse unless you really force it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse_Chevelle
as always, Stig with the info for the masses!
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
1320whtrex
Master Member

1320whtrex is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG_SOULJA View Post

Thanks
Exactly what is this "kit"

LOL Link?

All you have to do is to open up your transmission, remove the reverse actuator piece, add the 6th gear to the main and counter shaft, reinstall the shafts using 6spd shift forks, convert your shifter mechanism to a 6spd one and you're back in business.
1320whtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Stig
Because STIGCAR

Stig is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320whtrex View Post
Exactly what is this "kit"

LOL Link?

All you have to do is to open up your transmission, remove the reverse actuator piece, add the 6th gear to the main and counter shaft, reinstall the shafts using 6spd shift forks, convert your shifter mechanism to a 6spd one and you're back in business.
I think this is what he means:

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

Waste of time if you ask me. It won't do anything except give you a lower cruising RPM and you'll be able to say that you have a "6-speed." Technically yes you will, but a base with an actual Type-S 6-speed will destroy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse_Chevelle
as always, Stig with the info for the masses!
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
pascual rsx
Banned

pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pascual rsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Isn't the 5th gear from a base tranny the same ratio as the type-S 6th?
pascual rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
1320whtrex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I think this is what he means:

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

Waste of time if you ask me. It won't do anything except give you a lower cruising RPM and you'll be able to say that you have a "6-speed." Technically yes you will, but a base with an actual Type-S 6-speed will destroy it.
Thanks for the link.. It's actually not a bad deal if it included EVERYTHING needed as it says but I highly doubt it..

Quote:
We include all necessary parts to do so, and we do recommend professional installation.
The kit does include the very popular TSX 6th gear.
All the necessary parts include
6th gear main and counter
Tsx 6th gear needle bearing & distance collar
Synchros
6spd forks
6spd shifter mechanism or parts to convert 5spd mechanism to a 6spd one..

If and only IF all those are included, then it's not so bad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascual rsx View Post
Isn't the 5th gear from a base tranny the same ratio as the type-S 6th?
Yes but the kit provides you with a TSX 6th gear, which is lower than them all.

Last edited by 1320whtrex; 12-30-2015 at 03:03 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
YOUNG_SOULJA

YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx YOUNG_SOULJA is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
thnx for informations (yes the kit i was talkin about is the link Stig posted)
YOUNG_SOULJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Flako771

Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have a 02 rax base if i get a 6 speed tranny to swap it what other things would i need to change to complete it and do it right.
Flako771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
1320whtrex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flako771 View Post
I have a 02 rax base if i get a 6 speed tranny to swap it what other things would i need to change to complete it and do it right.
Nothing.. Just put the tranny in and bolt everything back up....

that's unless you're looking to change the clutch/pressure plate setup..
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Flako771

Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Flako771 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i have a 02 rsx 5 speed want to swap a 6 speed tranny what would i need to do the swap right.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
1320whtrex
Master Member

I just answered you... see above..
Old 12-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
Flako771

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320whtrex View Post
Nothing.. Just put the tranny in and bolt everything back up....

that's unless you're looking to change the clutch/pressure plate setup..
Ok i dont need to change the ecu or shuft cables or anything
Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
1320whtrex
Master Member

No. none of that needs to change. Just make sure it matches up to the same year range of your base model... Either 02-04 or 05-06 depending on your year.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
Flako771

Ok kool because mines a 02.
And do u kno any good websites i can find aftermarket parts for these cars? Aim trying to find out if there is aftermarket cams and spark plug wires or coils or w.e
Old 12-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
1320whtrex
Master Member

Quote:
Ok kool because mines a 02.
And do u kno any good websites i can find aftermarket parts for these cars? Aim trying to find out if there is aftermarket cams and spark plug wires or coils or w.e
Spark Plug Wires??? Have you taken a look at your engine bay? You don't have those... And there's no need for you to change the coils. They are more than sufficient for your car.

As far as your cams, you should probably do some research on your engine and the potential of it. All of that can be done here on this site...

ps.... Don't change the cams...
Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #17
Flako771

Im new to these motors im all b series and H series i just got this car and yes i kno i dont have sparkplugs thats why i said spark plug wires or coil w.e u guys wanna call it and im new to this page but i was 98% sure u cant rlly do much to these motors except internals.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #18
1320whtrex
Master Member

Quote:
Im new to these motors im all b series and H series i just got this car and yes i kno i dont have sparkplugs thats why i said spark plug wires or coil w.e u guys wanna call it and im new to this page but i was 98% sure u cant rlly do much to these motors except internals.
Well yeah I figured you were new to K series.. That's fine and all.. But yeah you have spark plugss, and coil packs.. And the coil packs will last and provide plenty of spark.

As far as your engine, Most people don't modify base models much because those engines don't produce much power and can't take as much of a beating unless built up... And it's not worth it to dump money into that particular setup... And if you put cams in, you will need that Kpro.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #19
Giovanni35xS

Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Yes that would work. You don't need a new trans case though. The base case can fit 6 gears.

There is no reverse lock-out on the base. You would need a Type-S trans with the solenoid on it, the Type-S engine harness to connect to it, and an ECU that can recognize and actuate that solenoid. It's pretty hard to go into reverse unless you really force it though.
So what you're saying is if you have a type S engine harness ,type S 6 speed transmission w solenoid , it'll bolt onto the k20a3 with out any problems ? New to K series , been reading a lot of threads not sure if I haven't found the right thread yet, sorry if the question has already been asked
Giovanni35xS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #20
Giovanni35xS

Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Giovanni35xS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have a type S body w 6 speed lsd transmission , ECU , engine harness , just a blown k20a2 engine , looking for the cheapest route honestly , the base model 5 speed engine I can get is fairly cheap here as for anything else in the area is expensive part and engine wise.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni35xS View Post
So what you're saying is if you have a type S engine harness ,type S 6 speed transmission w solenoid , it'll bolt onto the k20a3 with out any problems ? New to K series , been reading a lot of threads not sure if I haven't found the right thread yet, sorry if the question has already been asked
I don't think any of these people are active on here anymore...
I know that the A3 will go right in, not sure on the harness aside from the intake runner valve. You'll need to drop another $700 on Kpro to make the swap work though.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #22
Giovanni35xS

I have a type S model rsx with all the type r internals engine is blown rod went through the block , will I still need the k pro or can I use the type S ecu
Old 02-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #23
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni35xS View Post
I have a type S model rsx with all the type r internals engine is blown rod went through the block , will I still need the k pro or can I use the type S ecu
You need Kpro
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
or... a Type R ECU
Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #25
blackrooster808

blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
A true Honda boy woulld never settle for a base model
blackrooster808 is offline   Reply With Quote