Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

05-06' Type-s Ball Joints

51K views 93 replies 36 participants last post by  troye 
#1 ·
Ok, kinda at a stand still right now. I have a trashed Ball Joint on my 06' Type-s Drivers side knuckle. I can not find a replacement ball joint for the damn thing. Anyone know where I can find one?? They have alot of them out for the 02-04 but I can't find anything that will fit the 05-06'

My car is up on jack stands until I can figure this out. Can anyone help me????

Oh, a bit of back story on why I am even in need of changing these is because I am stupid and having a 200whp car wasn't enough, I had to turbo the shit out of my car.....

Needless to say when you turbo a car that wasn't meant to have that kinda power things break. I was at the track with slicks and I broke a wheel stud. A week later I blew out the tranny. Took the car apart and started rebuilding it. Pulled the control arms off of the knuckles so I can press the wheel bearings out of it and when dis-assembling everything ball joint was damaged. So now I rebuilt the tranny, drop it into the car, go to put the new ball joint that the part store said was a direct replacement and the bitch is way way way too small.

Now I have a partially re-assembled car that has been parked for 4 months that I keep dumping more money into it and yet do not get to enjoy.

Please anyone help me :pray::pray::pray:

See less See more
#47 · (Edited)
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...2000hoprbajo&gclid=CKOCw4LZg7kCFQyk4AodO24Arg

This boy^? Says it's for the BB6. I'm not sure if it fits in this part or if it's for a ball joint in the rear.

In addition, am I going to need to press these into the knuckle or can I use the ball joint removal tool to press them back in? At some point I'm thinking it may be easier just to buy the BuddyClubs or a whole new knuckle LOL

#49 ·
Will the link I posted with the BB6 ball joint fit into the bottom of my knuckle on the RSX? That's mainly what I'm concerned about.

Also thanks. I'll look for a machine shop or a trans shop to press it in. If they press it in, aren't they going to have to put pressure on the ball? Wouldn't this put pressure into the socket that otherwise shouldn't be there? Question is, how would they press it in?

#64 ·
Okay guys so I did the ball joints the other day and attempted them with the harbor frieght puller.

Here's the thing. The harbor freight ball joint tool does not work because there is not enough space to fit the adapter cups around the ball joint. The space in between the inner part of the knuckle that holds the wheel bearing and the ball joint is too slim.

Long story short, I spent four hours with a vice and a hammer...hammering one out...hammering one in...

PS the prelude ball joints ride like a charm :thumbsup:

#72 · (Edited)
I have no clue.

My best bet is that you want #3, not #4 considering the AC Delco replacement part is for a front lower ball joint. #3 is "fr. ball (lower)" on the website you showed me:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...knuckle-2-scat/?part_name=joint-fr-ball-lower

Also, the one you sent me is called a "radius rod ball joint." The source that I have here from a Prelude site will tell you that you can't find this from any aftermarket mfg.:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349707

Also FYI. I drove to and from Wisconsin, carrying an engine block on my way home, while detouring through Detroit roads to stop by my aunt's on these ball joints.

I also have two seasons of autocross on them as well as track time at Pocono (very rough) in PA, and daily driving duties.

My best bet is that the marginal return for going OEM on these components will be small ;)

#76 ·
I'm sure most people don't want to read about someone's life story lol. 2 months ago a axle fix made me realize lower ball joint was going to go soon but it needed super man strength to remove after a long attempt with on blaster light taps and a lot of heat so I decided to remove knuckle from strut got that done :thumbsup: 2 months ago. Then yesterday I decided to buy a new whee bearing for my hub since mine had a lot of clanking when I held it at the north and south poles and moved the tire (while on a stand) up and down. So I decided to remove the knuckle then realized holy crap it's my old ball joint I forgot about lol and it was a pain in the ass to get out a lot of on blaster 2 broken ball joint separators from harbor freight tools 1 bent picle fork and a lot of propane heat. Ended up cutting the ball joint off from control arm and decided to take off the lower control arm off to pound it out from bottom out or upside down. No one in town had a replacement ball joint called 10 different auto part stores nothing no one even had a registered part number for ball joints for a 2005 acura rsx type s and I read this post today and I said 98 prelude ball joints for 13.99 why not I'm past the pint of no return so I went for it lucky enough for me they actually worked thanks to this post! But yeah the castle but is too big you might need a smaller one in height. Because the locking pin won't go through anyways my long ass story to say yes 98 Honda ball joints do fit a 05 rsx type s I can vouch. Also pounded them in with river makes no damage done to it :deadhorse

#77 ·
This is an old thread but I am pretty sure there are still many others that will look to this thread to figure out their options. I'm doing the hard race joints on my black car which works for slightly lowered cars
https://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HDR-6878.html
but for this other one at stock ride height I came across these. http://www.autozone.com/suspension-...r/rare-parts-ball-joint-lower/871257_447515_0
I can't even find them on the honda website to order the oem ones but these have the full ball inside instead of being pressed as the lower priced ones were. Does anyone have an actual parts number for the honda OEM version as I would rather put honda stuff in my car and do it once. Thanks

#78 ·
Honda Doesnt have Ball Joints, You have to buy the entire knuckle if you want OEM.

My solution was using 98 prelude ball joints, they are very tight with pressing them in but they work perfect.

I have been using then now for about a year now and still no issues.

Hope this helps

#83 ·
bringing back an old thread. i did some searching and i dont have a clear answer. so i was hoping of some real world experience.

from a post from "Dr. Honda" and others there seems to be a consensus on the following:
02-06 Base = same throughout all years ball joint (small taper and body)
02-04 Type-S = same as above (small taper and body)
05-06 Type-S = unique to 05-06 Type-S (large taper and medium body)
02-06 Type-R = different knuckle and balljoint (large taper and body)

I am looking for replacement ball joints for my 05-06 Type-S. I know there are at least two threads and multiple people have successfully used Prelude ball joints. I know the dimensions are roughly the same and it works fine.

I was trying to see if there has been a direct replacement for the 05-06 Type-S ball joints.?? I saw on the hardrace site and kseriesparts that the the hardrace ones:
https://www.kseriesparts.com/HDR-8796.html

^^the fitment indicates it fits the base and type-S - but if this is the case it contradicts the experiences of others as summed by by the info above. i contacted hardrace and kseriespart but still no response.

So are there direct replacement ball joints for the 05-06 type-s?

#87 ·
I know this is an old thread but i jut wanted to confirm that the ball joints for a 98 prelude do not fit an 05 type s...i just tried this last week, The ball joint could be pressed in by hand and when on the vehicle the ball joint could move up and down 1/4 inch in the knuckle . I had to go with Ktuned extended ball joints since all the hardrace and buddyclub ball joints are on back order till late april

#88 ·
I don't get it. I can confirm (as others have on this thread) that '98 Prelude ball joints do work for an '05 Type S. I bought the ACDelco Professional ones, for a '98 Prelude. Just like RunningDC5 says at the top, the castle nut is too thick/tall though to clear the hole for the cotter pin to go through, but I definitely had to pound the ball joints in the knuckle themselves

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.